More on Stretching shoes

remember the stiletto boots i showed you that i had been trying to streych. How much of a size can i expect to stretch out of them. Reason i asked, i bought in sz7 as no 8's were available and i liked the boots. They arre tight but seem to be a lot looser than originally. MK one have the full range now as its winter, and theres a few 8's knocking about. Was just wondering if the investment for a sz8 pair would be worth it over the stretch id gain form wearing the tighter 7's

• 3 weeks later...

In the absence of a response from the maestro, I'd say you can expect to stretch 1 to 1.5 sizes widthwise and about half a size lengthwise. It's more difficult to stretch lengthwise becasue of the grain of the leather. You may well be able to stretch 2 sizes or more widthwise, but the uppers end up hanging over the sole unit which can be unsightly and they are prone to scuffing or tearing.

In the absence of a response from the maestro, I'd say you can expect to stretch 1 to 1.5 sizes widthwise and about half a size lengthwise. It's more difficult to stretch lengthwise becasue of the grain of the leather. You may well be able to stretch 2 sizes or more widthwise, but the uppers end up hanging over the sole unit which can be unsightly and they are prone to scuffing or tearing.

Moreover, you run the risk of the upper coming adrift from the insole.

If the 7's are almost wearable then 8s will be fine for stretching. If they're leather either moisten with water or use a leather softener (best stuff to use) then shove them on your feet or a shoe stretcher.

Technical note: You stretch leather by opening the pores which increases the surface area of the leather. Sometimes the lasting process itself will stretch the leather quite a lot whereas other styles have an intrinsic quality where the leather is barely stretched at all in manufacture. You can only open the pores so far and I think that stretching width by more than one size is optimistic in any case but 1/4 to 1/2 a size lengthwise is feasible.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I use neat gin or vodka to soften the leather. It's 40% alcohol and works quite well.

The problem is, alcohol tends to close the pores, dry the leather out and cause shrinkage- the opposite effect. The only reason gin or vodka work is the water content.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

There is the word again "water". You can buy isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol cheaper then gin or vodka. Isopropyl comes with a percentage of water in it between 40% and 5%. But then again you can drink the booze. :drinking: I think a pair of PU knee high boots would cover a night of drinking..... Any body got a olive? Or two?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

That's why you leave the stretcher in until it completely dries....... :( Or stumble home, which ever comes first . :drinking: Stretching with water alone is a bit more work in my experience, but using alcohol with water seems to work very well Vs water alone.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 2 weeks later...

For streching distilled water and a drop of dish soap make a good streching fluid. Dish soap breaks down water so it will penetrate the leather. As far as streching the leg of boot only adding a panel in center back seam will work usally.

Damn! The annoying thing is that I only need another half inch of room. I can zip them up, but they're uncomfortable. Unfortunately my calf muscles seem to be just slightly too large to easily fit into knee boots. Apparently many women have the same problem. You'd think that the makers would do something about it.

Damn! The annoying thing is that I only need another half inch of room. I can zip them up, but they're uncomfortable. Unfortunately my calf muscles seem to be just slightly too large to easily fit into knee boots. Apparently many women have the same problem. You'd think that the makers would do something about it.

They do! They allow women to try them on in the shop before they buy! :(:(

A competent shoe repairer should be able to insert a strip of leather next to the zip (not down the back as suggested above). Achilles did this on a pair of boots I've got and they fit fine now.

I think anyone with reasonable sowing skills should be able to unpick one side of the zip and sew in a piece of either leather or matching fabric. For guys who are often wearing knee boots with trousers a first class finish is not always the primary requirement.

• 1 year later...

How exactly do you go about stretching boots using your chosen fluid? I have a pair that are tight across the top of my foot, but fit fine in all other respects. I've tried just wearing them, and they have loosened a bit, but I'd like to be able to help the process along. Just seen this from Dr Shoe: "If they're leather either moisten with water or use a leather softener (best stuff to use) then shove them on your feet or a shoe stretcher. " How wet should they be, and should I wet them inside as well as out? Where could I get said leather softener? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

http://www.heelingtouch.com/ For commercial stretching tools for boots and useful info on how to.

For those who are interested the commercial stretching fluid that I got from the above web sight only lists two ingredients, isopropyl and denatured alcohol. But I also believe there is a small amount of soap of some kind as when you shake the contents there some foaming and feels like it as well, but it's barley noticeable. Just use a spray bottle for applying over the out side area that needs to be stretched. I wish I knew what the water content was but I am guessing it's something like 25%.

If you do isolated areas and not the wholes shoe just be extra careful that you don't over stretch and split any seams. To prevent this form happening wet is down stretch it out carefully let it dry completely, do not remove the shoe stretcher until then, test for fit, and repeat as necceary till you get the fit you want. Drying time will very on how much fluid you have applied. Normally it can take as little as a half an hour for an isolated area to over night if the whole boot has been has been wetted down.

I have used straight 75% isopropyl alcohol off the store shelf and got the same results, if you want, just add a tiny bit of dish soap.

The shoe stretchers at shoe shops are usually the best kind, harder wood, and real metal gears. I have seen shoe stretchers in gift shops or othere stores that are made of light weight wood, and have plastic gears instead. Also there are flat stretchers for flat soled shoes, and High Heel stretchers for High Heel shoes. We also have a Ball and Ring stretcher that just stretches spots (like bunions, etc) Unfortunately stretchers only come in one in a box so if you need to stretch a pair of shoes, you need to go one at a time. While applying stretch solution, I always wet the entire shoe or boot (make sure not to be around dirt) because if you only wet one area, it could discolor that one spot (in rare occasions) I usually only wet the outside, because I am fearful of a inside wet shoe causing problems. when you wet the outside of the shoe, I suggest wiping the liquid totaly into the leather, and then wiping the residue off. Anything to keep from spotting the shoes. Some shoemakers use a heated stretcher, but if you use a hair dryer, make sure that you know that HEAT DAMAGES LEATHER if abused. You could use a bit of heat from a hair dryer if you fan the hair dryer back and forth on a low setting, while the shoe is still wet. Stop immediately when the shoe looks dry. In the lasting process when leather shoes are made, the leather is usually wet and warm when the shoemaker lasts the leather. For best results in stretching you should leave the stretcher in long enough that the shoe is dry. Overnight is good. If you have a seam down the front of the shoe, be real careful not to stretch too much. Any seam can stretch along with the leather. Zipper seams, back of the leg seams, can all stretch too much. If unsure, do a bit at a time.

Is there any way to stretch shiny patent leather shoes? My pumps are usually squishing my toes together to some degree. If so, what would be the best stretching device/method to use? Jen

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

In your case your best bet is to find a shoe repair store and have them stretch them out for you. But if you want to do it your self, the above methods should work just fine. I use the Western boot strecher for high heels with no problems from this store.

http://www.heelingtouch.com/

Some patent leather shoes are leather, with the patent process and some patent leather shoes are Vinyl. If they are leather, with care, they will stretch some. If vinyl, they won't stretch as much. With any patent leather, I would stretch them very carefully, and with patience. In other words, leave the stretchers in a longer period of time, maybe a week, and each day turn the handle of the stretcher just a bit. Some shoe guys use a heated stretch with vinyl or patent leather. Be care full if there are seams that would complicate things. see previous posts. Gene

I managed to get my boots on and zipped up over a pair of thick athletic socks, and plan to wear them for as long as possible. As I usually wear boots with either bare feet or nylons, if they stretch enough to accommodate thick socks I'll be well on my way to a good fit over nylons. The plan so far is to just wear them with the athletic socks for a while until they loosen a bit, and then try them with nylons to see if I can get enough room without using fluid. I'm reluctant to try mechanical stretchers as I have no experience at all and don't want to damage the boots, so I'm going to try stretching them on my feet first and see how it goes. Chris

I'm reluctant to try mechanical stretchers as I have no experience at all and don't want to damage the boots, so I'm going to try stretching them on my feet first and see how it goes.Chris

It's NOT ADIVIOSABLE to use your feet to stretch out your boots, this is a big NO NO!! It will provoke a injury to your foot that you would regret and maybe end you high heel career short. But if you still want to damage your feet, then at least use some kind of stretching fluid and just apply enough to the boots so that you are not stuck wearing them for hours. Wear them until they are completely dry, but do a minimum amount of walking and standing.

I have stretched boots with my feet but we are talking about minor stretching in isolated areas. Any thing else, I use a mechanical stretcher. I suggest experimenting on another pair of boots that you got cheap and experiment with them. Get a pair of leather and a pair of man made material (pleather) in case you rip them no big deal if you succeed then you got an another pair or two for your self. :) But if you are still not sure that you can do this than take them to a shoe repair store and let them do the work.

Not to worry Hoverfly, I wouldn't damage my feet! While the boots do feel tight over the socks, they're not uncomfortable. I'm a firm believer in listening to my body and not doing something if it hurts! Basically I've just been wearing them around the house, and would take them off if they became uncomfortable, but really they feel OK. They are giving a bit too, and already feel much better with nylons. Chris

Well after a few hours wearing the boots with socks (not all at one go!) they now fit pretty well with nylons, certianly comfortably enough for all day wear. I have wet them though anyway. I dabbed all over the top of the foot with a wet sponge until the leather felt moist, and will wear them at least until they dry out. Oddly enough, despite never having been particularly into the whole WAM thing, it was strangely alluring, and I did squeeze the sponge over them once or twice to see the water run over them! Anyway, looking forward to giving them a good polish in a couple of days when I can be sure they're thoroughly dry. Chris

• 1 month later...

note to Bubba 136 Can you tell me how to make the link work? I am not trying to promote my business, but I just want to contribute information... So could you make that link work since I couldn't, so people can click on it, rather than the page taking up all that space? Thank you, gene

hart88! just substitute for (with the http://hartlandshoes.us/StretchingSeminar.jpg in between and the picture will develop.

Like "http://hartlandshoes.us/StretchingSeminar.jpg" (without the quote marks on either end).

If you just want the site address to appear as a link, just paste or type it into the comment window. It should show up in blue if it is already posted on a server -- check out the blue link above))))

Now, you have exhausted my limited knowledge of posting technical stuffs on the forum. If you need any further advice, please contact Firefox or someone with more knowledge than I have.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.