Has This Happened to You

brttlt

New to the board here. I just graduated college (yea) and started an internship at a law firm here in the city. I had to buy some new clothes, including new heels. I was standing in the office the other day talking to a co-worker and wearing these new heels, I slipped off 1 shoe and was standing there talking with 1 shoe on and 1 off. Some "old Betty" came by and told me that "that is not appropriate in a place of business, put your shoe back on." Now I am new to this job thing and I always slip off my heels at my desk and occasionally slide a heel off when standing around; has this happened to anyone here and do you find it a little "over the top"? Do you ladies do this from time to time? I worked in retail prior to this and we did it all the time, but this being my first "real job", i was a little shocked! Thank you

It really depends on the policy of the firm and how much authority the Old Bitty has. Personally, I am very much like you, slipping out of my shoe when seated. But I am the boss and say nothing when the female members of my staff do so. We are somewhat relaxed inn our facility but within reason. Good luck in your situation. D

I am not quite out of college and I envy you, really, congratulations! That said, I have not worked a "real job," however, I have heard similar comments. For instance, one time a friend working at a different place was talking about snagging me to work with her and she noticed my peeptoe heels saying, "Oh, those are lovely. It's nice that they let you wear those there." I was speachless. They were my pewter Olsenboye (don't laugh, they look real smart!) PU platform peeptoes with a ruffle down the front. These always get comments and double takes, so I was not sure if she meant because they were not quite subdued but I think the comment referred to my exposed, albeit stocking-clad, toe. I was completely shocked because, while I know it can be sensual, I never considered exposing parts of the foot as sensual. I have worked in department stores with girls that walk around off the sales floor or after closing time without their shoes and never thought much of it. For the record, my friend is at least fifty years old and I have always looked up to as a very prim, elegant, kind lady. It might just be old-fashioned, but in your case I agree with eoneleg in that it depends on how much authority this lady of yours has. If your boss does not care, let this lady envy your feet! Otherwise, you may want to keep your shoeplay for your desk and not standing about in the office. I hope you enjoy your new heels to the fullest whatever the case may be and continue to savor your graduation.

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

Betty, my experience is the exact opposite of yours! At work I typically like to go in a skirt suit and a pair of knee high boots. My male co-workers would like nothing then to see me come to work in sandals instead although I have not indulged them. They are wondering why I am always dressed so conservatively and are so covered up at work all the time.

Well, yesterday, I noticed the "old Betty" standing in the hallway sliding her shoe on and off and I really wanted to say something, but of course I didn't. I talked to 2 other girls and they said not to worry, I was just a newbie and she was probably giving me a hard time. Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ha, you certainly wouldn't be slipping your shoes off if you worked for me that's all I can say. I don't think it looks professional at all.

Well, Amanda, it all depends. If you were my boss at a little mall boutique, I am sure I would still slip my heels half off and back often and completely off before openning/after closing. If I was an office receptionist behind a desk, ditto. Now I was an attorney, or surgeon, or elected official it goes without saying that decorum is defined differently and this would not happen.

Also, if you were a great boss but a stickler on keeping heels on, I would obey without question. If you were less than tolerable, I would be as barefoot as possible, haha! :smile:

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

Sangue, You hit the nail right on the head. A good boss leaves you knowing what's appropriate when. It all comes down to good manners, doesn't it? And I'm sure all of us have good manners. The problem starts when rules start to supercede maners, Megan