Heels Head Lower, Is the Economy Heading Higher?

hoverfly

If platforms went away, It wouldnt bother me. I dont mind a half inch or so.. but the ' Stripper-type cheapo ' come and get it! ' shoes.. Even some of the ' elite/designer ' brands with the super high platforms.. I wouldnt miss them at all.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Interesting article, as stated certainly not true in the shops at the moment. I feel there is a change in society and certain girls will always wear sky high heels, also hidden platforms make itbeasier for more women to wear higher heels. Personally don't think we will see a return to low heels but perhaps the more comfortable platform and lower block heel. There is too much availability to see sky high heels go and I am thankful for that. I have noticed a trend to more 4" block heels in the shops and as these are my perfect street heeling shoes I am happy.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

The more I see those platform, open toe, slingback, thick heel new shoes (especially in that Band-Aid color) the more I admire a woman wearing "original" pointed toe, thin sole pretty spike heel shoes. Always stick with a classic over over trendy stuff. They have been a standard of excellence for over 50 years back when most things were designed to be the best looking available. It amazes me that some women compromise there femininity appearance by wearing that big blunt toe ugly stuff. Check out Classic Pumps for the pretty stuff.

There definitely has seem to seemed to be some correlation between the state of the economy and heel height. I wouldn't complete discount that claim. If it's in fact coming true now, my prediction would be that platforms start to fade away. I think that artificially propped up heel heights (those who maxxed out at say 4" before, now would where 5" heels on shoes with a 1" platform). Platforms were definitely "the new trend", so that's something I could see fading out as being "last year". For those who read the article, and are mathematically inclined, don't bother trying to read into the graph, I think it's purely for decoration. [it shows heel heights of 7" in 2009, and only 2" in 2011.]

Isn't it just a cyclical thing ? Heel heights just like skirt lengths and other clothes dimensions tend to vary over time because fashionable people (and the people selling them) like change. I'm convinced that you could make many statistical correlations between heel height and other things. Did you notice for example that the article failed to mention the eighties and the fifties which were economic boom times yet filled with heels? If you use the cyclical argument of change, then its likely that heel heights will reduce over the coming years, but it won't happen tommorrow. Enjoy the high heel trend while lasts !

I have read more than one article on this subject. It does seem quite a coincidence how the heel heights fluctuate during economic ups and downs. As one stated, when economic times are not good, fashion designers must be very creative to design and sell their items. And if this includes sexier apparel and higher, sexier heels, that would make sense with these statistics.

There is quite a trend there. I've been following it for some time and there is some kind of sociological aspect to heels and fashion related to economy's ups and downs. Anyhow, were the late 50s and early 60s an economy retraction period? I'm not so sure. Here in southern South America we had a great drought between 1961 and 1963, but I'm not so sure the world was in the same tune as cars, for instance, were big and thirsty. Heels in that period reached 5", and that period is not mentioned in the article. I have an explanation that goes more regarding the need to get noticed in the restrained periods. Anyway, there is also a luxury race that starts when a bubble starts to grow, let's say a year or so before a crash, when people need to show off and exteriorize the wealthiness they've achieved. This urge can continue during the downsizing, regarding the need of standing out of the crowd and getting noticed.

The article was a bit silly and more specifically the chart with supposed data was really unrealistic.

If platforms went away, It wouldnt bother me. I dont mind a half inch or so.. but the ' Stripper-type cheapo ' come and get it! ' shoes.. Even some of the ' elite/designer ' brands with the super high platforms.. I wouldnt miss them at all.

Anyway, I totally agree with your comment. Smaller platforms (less than 1") are cool, and in fact I've grown to like them even more than zero platforms, but the extreme hooker/stripper platforms do nothing for me.