Olympic Hockey

I would just like to type, how happy I am, that Canada once again rules, and they have their gold medals and everyone is happy. What a great game. And my bread turned out. This is a great day! Hooray for Canada, tops in Canada, both men and women. It's about time everyone knew that! Woohoo.

Yes but GB ladies won a gold medal in the curling.

Don't forget that everyone!!!!

I never could see why they have men's and women's curling. It's a game about skill and technique, not strength, so why not mix it?

Ice Hockey is different. Half the game seems about being big and as violent as possible. So I'm sure the guys would win this war on skates!

Well, watching the women play, you would never know the difference. Penalites, acrobatics, fast skating, the only difference is the size of the players, and some of the men's team for Canada happen to be, well, quite small and fast! Curling, riiiiight. Hockey could be a mixed sport as well, but hockey purists may not like to hear that. Men's hockey can be a bit rougher, but men of all sizes can play. So why not a few women who are competetive enough? As for curling, yes it could be mixed and would not make a difference, it is all about skill. There is yet another area to break down a few barriers. Our list is getting quite long!

In games like bridge/chess there are Open and ladies categories. Again these are games of pure skill so I would have thought one category would cover all. In Hockey you could have likewise an open and a ladies, but I think stength and size plays such a big part it would not make much difference to the composition of the teams. Incidentally, I think the women should get the same prize money as the men in Tennis, but they should also play best of 5 sets. That's about stamina and fitness, not strength. Sorry you don't like curling (I've hardly heard of it either :smile:) But then ice hockey's hardly big in UK too. We only really care about soccer over here, if the cold truth be known. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-02-25 02:48 ]</font>

We Australian's fluked one gold, ok, the domino effect last person standing. We also won another on merit women's aerial skiing. Total two gold amazing for a country that's lucky to have snow. Ice Hockey, didn't the Canadians invent that, should be like the US in basketball, dreamteam stuff - unbeatable. Did I say that. B) PS Did our 'HG and Roy' (Ice Dream) get any coverage, amongst some average stuff some of their stuff is quite good. Sorry firefox they seemed to concentrate or getting mileage out the curling program, ie make a boring sport humourous. B) Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

All sports take patience and skill, regardless of how much physical effort is involved. I'm not going to get involved in the 'my country's better than yours' argument. Does anybody remember when Jamaica first went into the bobsled competition? They didn't win anything, in fact they crashed and carried their sled across the finish line. They got more coverage for that than the gold medal winners did! I admired them for that! Be thankful that you have medals won for your country, but at the end of the day it's the competition that matters.

I'm happy!! Three gold ones and five silver ones for the Dutch speedskaters! And that includes three world records. And this for such a small nation.. :smile:

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

They made a film "Cool Running's" about the Jamacian bob team. Checked the Olympic site and they had a 2 man team entered, don't now how they went. Hey, what do think of the skeleton, 140 Kph or about 85 mph head first down a slide. Pretty cool stuff, also noticed the brit's had a top line competitor, but the snow conspired against her. Inga :smile:

The skeleton run looks like fun! Reminds me of the silly things we did on a winter orientation course I attended. We were given the task of creating a sled run down an old path, luckily the cold weather continued long enough for us to complete it, then threw ourselves down it by whatever methods we could devise. Some went down on skis, others on normal sleds, one in a sleeping bag and me on a bent tea tray. One member decided that he wanted to go head first on his sled. He crashed 1/4 way down B) much hilarity!! But after the snow had been compacted enough by all our attempts at trying to kill ourselves we all slid down on our bellies, bums and backs. A bit like a skeleton run but with only a top speed of 30mph :smile: Just goes to show the things I would do back in '88! And now they make an olympic sport of it!! Maybe I should have stuck with being completely nuts! B)

gah, the olympics are way overhyped...i bet against canada in all their games, and lost all times...but i aint paying cause they cheated :smile: only event i watched was the mens snowboarding..i also caught a few minutes of the freestyle skijumping...other than that the olympics sucked mega ass

Terayon, that's dishonourable. Some one may come for your thumbs one day... And in general, to everyone, I will never think Canada is better than any other country. No way that could ever be. Yes, Hockey comes from Canada, so you can understand that everyone was depressed for 50 years between gold medal wins. I do not even like hockey as much as the posts make me out to like it. I am just happy that this country did something for a change.

Cheating, Canadian's, Australian's and Brit's generally don't cheat. They're squeaky clean, those that cheat are, Spain, anyhow they got sprung, how can Spain (even though the offender was an import) with almost no snow beat the Norwegians who practically don't know what grass looks like because they live in the slush and invented nordic skiing. Easy be very naughty and cheat. I'm not a monarchist, but I just get a feeling the Commonwealth countries might be a little bit cleaner than some their opposition. Big mistake Terayon! Inga :smile:

Commonwealth countries feel bad for the Middle Ages, so we all try to be extra noble and good now. Okay, I have no basis for this, it seemed like a fun thing to say. After all, why would these countries cheat? Have you ever noticed that countries of the commonwealth are filled with very polite and apologetic people? In Canada, if I bump into someone, and of course it is my fault, it is the other person that says sorry to me! Like, sorry for what, being in the way? It is my fault and I apologize, but why shuld the "victim" in this bumping incident? I do notice a slight decline in this. People are angry and suffering from stress these days. However, most people still have some unwarranted sense of being polite. I imagine this is true in in Britain and Australia as well as a few other countries. Terribly sorry to take up your time with this message...

You so right, exactly the same here in Australia. Laurie, is it the same in Quebec, I gather they're a bit different. That is: Ils voudraient au secede du reste du Canada. Inga :smile:

I've never been to Quebec and except for Montreal, I cannot say I have any interest. Some of the food sounds wonderful, but maybe a little to rich in the fat department for me right now. Summer is just after spring! Good girls and bad girls must be in shape! Quebec I think is a split between polite people and a few who think they are in France. We all know the stereotype about the French, right? I think I do, they like pastries and wine. Isn't that what it is? I am being silly on purpose now. :smile: And It has been 11 years since I went near the slightest bit of french language education. I think. I don't remember for sure, it was a long time ago. So the really big word you used Inga? I have no idea. Maybe it is something different than I am thinking about and it will make sense in the morning! B)

Thx Firefox, just having a subtle go at certain attitudes that prevail, over that bit of water near your abode. I believe you can drive your or have your car transported there via a tunnel also. Inga :smile:

Firefox, Looks like we may have some fun when a certain event occurs in Manchester 25 July – 4 August 2002. Especially those of us in the so called Commonwealth countries. Aslum seekers, that's not a popular phrase in Aust at the moment, the Tampa fiasco and I'm from a Norweigen - Anglo background. Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-03-02 10:49 ]</font>

Ha yes the "Commonwealth" I don't know what you think of it over there, but my opinion is it's all a bit outdated. I get the connection now, Inga=Ingrid ? which was a German/Baltic name (I think!)

No one in Canada cares about the Commonwealth, it doesn't come up much. From a perspective of social history, however, it is easy to see the common links between the countries involved. I'm not going to go and study this, however, as no one is paying me for it. It would also require at least a week in each country to really perform an anthropological study of the people and culture, and then forge the connections between the countries. Who would pay for that? :smile: Still, I think the bond remains...

Not many would pay, over here in Australia they can't even pay to save a major airline thats being operating for over 70 years. This seemed to cost a Mr Hogan his job in British Midland, he decided Ansett was the way to go, came home took the CEO position now there's no position because there's no airline. Also Sir Richard B is complaining, QANTAS has too much control. Basically we've now got a monopoly re airlines QANTAS has over 80% of the market. Probably got nothing much do do with the thread, anyhow I've said my bit. Inga :smile:

Yes, quite a turn from where we were weaving about hockey. Well, this is general discussion, and if a thoght strikes you in the middle of the conversation, share it! Well, if we wish to blend the two subjects, how much would it cost to fly a hockey team to Australia? Guess on 30 people plus equipment. There, your quest for the day.

The cost of flying a hockey team to Australia will be cheaper as producing and maintaining the ice they have to play on.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Probably right, may'be this explains why we (Aust) can play field hockey, oh not forgetting, the Dutch, German's and the Brit's can a bit but none of these countries can play Ice Hockey. They do get snowed under in Canada for a long time, too long each year (6 months), not for me. Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-03-05 11:13 ]</font>

Inga=Ingrid correct. Ingrid, Norweigan origins. Actually my parentage for what is worth, Anglo - Norweigan background 3rd generation Aust, family been here for over 100 years. What else. Languages spoken: English that's it! Oh can work out a little French but can't verbally converse. Inga :smile:

You'll be surprised to know that the Brits, Germans and Dutch play ice hockey very well. I've watched the amateur Team Canada side beaten twice by a British club side. Even the Aussies have their own national team.

Hwy, what matters is the olympics right now, and Canada is tops for both men's and women's hockey. What matters more than that right now? NOTHING! Okay, many things, but still, it is the measuring stick for the next four years. Cope with it! :smile: And welcome the the board, Richy, nice to see you!