My 48 Hours in Heels

CassieJ

I wear heels out from time-to-time and always around the house. What I did this past Sunday and Monday was a test of endurance. I don't think many of us that wear heels at home (and get to sit a lot) or out for an hour or two really understand that it takes time to work up to full days of standing. The true test came monday with crazy walking surfaces and cobblestones. Let me start at the beginning...

Sunday night we went to a friends halloween/birthday party at a local bowling alley. I put on a costume top with lace bodice and knee length lace flared skirt with crinoline over my tight-laced corset. Makeup and a wig and I was told I was a cute girl. I wore the 6" Bordello heels in the first picture below.

I ended up walking around and standing for about 8 hours and didn't really have any problems at all. People loved the 'costume' and every woman (no men) asked how I could walk in them. Funny, I think they don't really want to know, it is just a conversation starter.

The real fun was Monday. I put on my long legged jeans and the Jeffery Campbell boots and a polo style shirt. http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/everybody/14171d1317875062-girls_guys_heels_experiencing_same_things-jeffrey-campbell-shoes-lita-_black-distressed-leather_-010603.jpg

My wife and I spent the day shopping and getting lunch. Then we were off to Universal Studios Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights XXI.

Seven hours in a Theme Park in 6" heels was quite the fun time. I saw a few people notice my shoes but no real reactions and zero comments.

If you have been to the park, it is a collection of every surface possible to walk on. Concrete, grass, brick, cobblestone, carpet, uneven asphalt, etc...

It began to take a toll on my feet. About 4 hours in my left ankle was getting a tad sore from all the rough surfaces. The worse was some fake grass installed over dirt that was uneven and impossible to walk on.

While the balls of my feet started hurting it wasn't too bad. I was just feeling it. The biggest problem was the big toe on my right foot. The boots are a bit looser than most of my heels and even wearing socks I was getting a huge blister on the entire bottom of my big toe.

I made it through the night and got home before removing the shoes. I did not do anything to the blister and it appears to have started heeling nicely. No real pain but I can tell a few layers of skin are loose at the blister site. Another day and I think it will be back to normal.

I took Tuesday off from heels and tonight I put on my BeBe black wide strapped buckle heels (sorry, no pics yet) and everything is normal.

All this to say, no matter how prepared you think you are for a real-world all-day outing, unless you do it regularly you probably are not 100% ready. My wife has no problems wearing heels all day anywhere but she does it everyday. We men-in-heels that can't wear them all day (due to work or social reasons) have a harder time keeping "in shape."

Anyone else have a fun "high-heel" Halloween?

post-9194-133522959896_thumb.png

Sounds like a blast of an adventure!

How high are the heels in the "Screen Shot" picture? Those look very hot!

Not a big fan of the boots though, but still cool.

I once wore my 8" platform-heels with the 4.25" platforms for 12 hours straight around the house. There was not much of different surfaces to walk on and I got to sit down whenever for however long. It felt weird taking them off and left the bottom of my feet a little dark, not much though. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing.

Try walking a mile to your local bus stop, standing for half an hour on a bus, four hours walking round town without a break and then the return journey. Then you keep the heels on in the house and not take them off until 10am the following morning to put some even higher heels on. I do that most days when I'm not working.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Try walking a mile to your local bus stop, standing for half an hour on a bus, four hours walking round town without a break and then the return journey. Then you keep the heels on in the house and not take them off until 10am the following morning to put some even higher heels on. I do that most days when I'm not working.

Walking a lot is not a problem for me if my shoes fit, but standing without moving is much more tiring, especially for the balls of the feet.

And after a day in heels, I just feel so bad if I go back to flats or lower heels, that I tend to keep heeling till I go to sleep... or even put higher heels too :smile:

I definitely take LOTS of notes when it comes to reading these kinds of adventures. I believe the longest I've gone is a mere hour in a pair of Bordellos I had. I had just gotten them from a friend's house with the intention of wearing them to a school play. Only to show off, but can you blame me when girls are swooning with jealousy over your "ability"? :smile: By the way, that includes walking around, standing, etc.

Formally "HHDude"

Only to show off, but can you blame me when girls are swooning with jealousy over your "ability"? :smile: By the way, that includes walking around, standing, etc.

Isn't that just so true. Most girls think it takes some really special talent for a guy to walk in heels capably. They tend to offer respect that you can do it at all. Funny thing is, I am told I walk in heels better than most women we see. Girls are no longer taught poise and proper posture. It really shows in the way they clomp around. They walk like men nowadays.

I got these today at Nordstrom Rack in Size 10. They are very comfortable and the hiking boot like sole is very non-slip.

post-9194-133522959933_thumb.jpg

Isn't that just so true. Most girls think it takes some really special talent for a guy to walk in heels capably. They tend to offer respect that you can do it at all. Funny thing is, I am told I walk in heels better than most women we see. Girls are no longer taught poise and proper posture. It really shows in the way they clomp around. They walk like men nowadays.

One of the hosts of the gig we play every year and I actually had a talk about what you mentioned above.

She was laughing and said after doing this for the last 5 or 6 years, that it didnt shock her that I can walk and move about so well in heels.

She did become irritated that ' young ladies of today look like apes when they try to move about in heels '. Mind everyone , the comment came from a 70+year old woman whom is VERY old school, back woods, church going, ' small town country ' type whom I wouldnt have at my home for fear of being shunned about its ' environment '.

She did have a point though and a few women there wondered how I was able to do all I did without falling over during the nights festivities. They stated such when busting my chops in asking ' Can I borrow your outfit? '.

Umm.. ' NO! '

:smile:

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I've been wondering about this myself for a while. I can walk in high heels, pretty well I feel, I've been wearing them for a while at home. And probably better than my wife. But I don't believe I do walk "correctly" in high heels. Nor my wife either. But, where do you learn the technique? Especially if you are a guy? (I know there are guys who have no problem going out in public. I'm not up to that stage yet, but I also have the issue of keeping my wife happy in only wearing them at home. And I plan to keep my wife happy. :smile: ) So, as a guy, it's not like I can ask a few of the woman at work, who wear high heels often, "Can you give me some pointers?" It looks like they are experts. Any places on line that give good pointers? tips, tricks? I've seen this come up here and there here in the last few years, but no good in depth topic discussions. Or I may have missed them. Thanks

Stand tall shoulders back. When walking, fully extend the knee before bringing your foot down. Land lightly on the heel first and when the sole is down transfer your weight to the shoe. Repeat for the other leg. Avoid excessive knee bending (this usually means the heels are too high for you and your ankle is incabable of bending enough). Make sure you at least can stand in them without your knees bent. If you can't you're certainly not going to be able to walk properly in them.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

The first question is, do you want to walk 'correctly' in heels? I believe a man wearing heels should probably not try to imitate a woman's walk unless he is cross dressing. That said, there are some technical techniques that can make walking in them easier and safer. A woman is taught to cross her feet over when walking as if walking on a think line. This looks very feminine and is probably not the way a man should walk. Technically, I think most people wearing heels are doing this incorrectly: When walking in heels, lean back and keep your back straight. Take smaller steps and be sure to let the heel strike the floor before the toe. How high is too high? You should be able to stand in the heels and keeping your knees straight lift your heel about 1/4" off the floor, staying on your toes. If you can't get 1/4" they are too tall for you to walk normally in. You see these women all the time that walk around with their knees bent. They can't straighten them. Where can you learn this? Girls use to, and in the south still, go to castilian. There are some good videos on YouTube that teach this as well. Just know, when you do it right, it will just feel right. When I cross, I wear a tight-laced corset that forces my back straight and it is so easy to walk in higher heels than I normally wear.

Good advice, some of which I believe I have been doing just by winging it. Correct, walking a runway strait line is not the way I wish to walk. Mostly any tips for making the steps correctly. I already contiously put my heel down first, but I don't think I'm transferring my weight correctly from the heel to the fore part of my foot. It always seems to be coming down harder than it should even when thinking about it. Which is also why I don't think my wife knows how to walk in heels. She doesn't think there is much difference between a 1/2 inch heels and 3 1/2 in heels. She just walks and whether she comes down hard or soft on the front part of her foot depends on how fast she is walking. I also don't seem to have an issue according to your short test. I can easily lift my heels more a 1/2 inch without bending me knees in 4 inch heels.

Technically, I think most people wearing heels are doing this incorrectly: When walking in heels, lean back and keep your back straight. Take smaller steps and be sure to let the heel strike the floor before the toe.

How high is too high? You should be able to stand in the heels and keeping your knees straight lift your heel about 1/4" off the floor, staying on your toes. If you can't get 1/4" they are too tall for you to walk normally in. You see these women all the time that walk around with their knees bent. They can't straighten them.

I like your advice concerning walking in high heels and the heel height. The only thing I maight add to walking in high heels for me is that I concentrate on not only keeping my back straight, but holding my stomach in (more so than usual) and that does make it easier to walk in high heels. I also do not wear 6" stiletto high heels (with no platform) in public that much any more. And part of the reason is the bending of the knees.