Meeting Shoe Designer Vince Camuto

Steve63130

I was shopping with my wife the other day in Nordstrom's, and as we walked through the women's shoe department, I noticed a sign that announced that shoe designer Vince Camuto would be making a personal appearance that day, and in fact during the time we were there. Sure enough, over in a corner, there he was, standing and chatting with a male colleague of his. So I boldly went up to him and asked him if he foresaw any chance of men's heels getting taller. I told him the shoes of the 70s were a lot of fun, and that men's shoes today and men's clothing in general were pretty boring. He chuckled and said he didn't think there was much chance, and in any case, he didn't seem interested in the subject, so I thanked him for his time and we moved on. So there you have it from an industry insider, for what it's worth. Steve

Lets face it where it comes to the traditional male shoe it's so basic what is changed? the greatest variation is the long toe style from 3(?) years ago now fading out. Fine if you have long feet otherwise where is the red nose and grease paint. Sorry I hate clowns! To me it's a style to cause trips and slips especially on narrow stair steps. (I only seem to trip up when I'm in flat shoes). So much of the male styling is ohh - we think brogues this year, toe caps next etc etc. Trainer styles have more variance, colours stripes (logos) etc, continental (France and Spain) casual trainers have always been more striking sometimes only the size confirms the gender. I think this area is only where "design" happens. Al

Indeed. But even then all they're doing is meddling about with the colours and fabric patterns. The main criticism that I have is that women can wear trainers [and] all the other variations in heel heights and styles of footwear. Men only have a choice of trainers or shoes. Even wearing a pair of sandals is considered daring for many men.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I was shopping with my wife the other day in Nordstrom's, and as we walked through the women's shoe department, I noticed a sign that announced that shoe designer Vince Camuto would be making a personal appearance that day, and in fact during the time we were there. Sure enough, over in a corner, there he was, standing and chatting with a male colleague of his. So I boldly went up to him and asked him if he foresaw any chance of men's heels getting taller. I told him the shoes of the 70s were a lot of fun, and that men's shoes today and men's clothing in general were pretty boring. He chuckled and said he didn't think there was much chance, and in any case, he didn't seem interested in the subject, so I thanked him for his time and we moved on.

So there you have it from an industry insider, for what it's worth.

Steve

I admire you and give you all kinds of credit for going up to him and at least trying to engage him in a conversation on the subject. It concerns me that, based on his brief answer to you and the fact that he designs women's shoes, he didn't see a future of higher-heeled shoes for men. Or, maybe I'm reading too much into his comment.

Another possibility is that since he specializes in womens shoes, he doesn't keep track of mens fashions. Or has been burned in the past trying to market to guys. As much as 99% of the heel wearing guys here would like, sometimes simple economics or preference can drive things.

I think saudade has it exactly right-simple economics is dictating the direction he takes. Trust me Steve, if he (or any other fashion designer) had been there and seen the potential to make even more cash, then the conversation would have continued. My solution is to simply do what the women did to men. Show enough interest in something they think is theirs and let your wallet do the talking. I, as one who knows I am not "camera-ready", nevertheless command respect at stores like Bakers because I engage the stores' staff, know the product line, and, by carrying their discount card, they know this inescapable truth; that repeat customers are many times about 50% of retail sales. They will NEVER make shoes to out liking on a male last/form but many companies are instead extending sizes in style lines they already have. They are aware of us and this is how they are meeting the demands of a new clientele. But presence and persistence in the marketplace will be our drivers of what comes next. Get out of the closet and engage the shopkeepers of the world. And to those that are already shopping for yourself and/or wearing the product just keep doing what you are doing! HappyinHeels:wave: