wearing heels at work

FGWJON

Hey guys, this is going to be a long up hill battle unless male high heel wearers can capture the attention of some very high profile public male figures. Athelets, movie stars, rock stars and other musicians. It wasn't until some very porminant, highly visible, popular men began sporting ear rings that the practice gained wide acceptance.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hopefully this time when heels become more accepted is coming ... There has been a number of adds, TV shows, articles regarding men crossing gender boundaries ... and more helped with the high attention given to the concept of "Metrosexuality" I think momentum is just starting!!! Pam

Hopefully this time when heels become more accepted is coming ...

There has been a number of adds, TV shows, articles regarding men crossing gender boundaries ... and more helped with the high attention given to the concept of "Metrosexuality"

I think momentum is just starting!!!

Pam

Let's hope so!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

A few years ago I had hair almost down to my waist and cavalier style facial hair. One day a client (from my spare time business) said that as much as they personally liked my style they were worried that it was holding my business back because people would think that I had a cavalier attitude to match. Result: clean shaven and short back and sides and business on the up. I often wonder where Richard Branson would be today without his beard and floppy hair.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hopefully this time when heels become more accepted is coming ...

There has been a number of adds, TV shows, articles regarding men crossing gender boundaries ... and more helped with the high attention given to the concept of "Metrosexuality"

I think momentum is just starting!!!

Pam

God, I hope so... Fortunately, these days when you enter "metrosexuality" into Google and you'll come up with more than 5,000 hits.

That's quite a ways towards globalization than where we were just 7 years ago.

In some ways, more global societal progress has occurred in the last 7 years than in the preceeding 40.

Viva la Internet!

A few years ago I had hair almost down to my waist and cavalier style facial hair. One day a client (from my spare time business) said that as much as they personally liked my style they were worried that it was holding my business back because people would think that I had a cavalier attitude to match. Result: clean shaven and short back and sides and business on the up.

I often wonder where Richard Branson would be today without his beard and floppy hair.

I dunno, but it's a shame business revolves around one's personal tastes. In some lines of work the cutting edge enhances business. In other lines of work, it hurts business.

Too bad customers are still so judgemental they're unable to disassociate reality from the puny mental constructs thereof they refer to as "a brain."

Sheesh!

Ok - I'm off my soapbox...

• 2 months later...

A few years ago I had hair almost down to my waist and cavalier style facial hair. One day a client (from my spare time business) said that as much as they personally liked my style they were worried that it was holding my business back because people would think that I had a cavalier attitude to match. Result: clean shaven and short back and sides and business on the up.

I often wonder where Richard Branson would be today without his beard and floppy hair.

I don't think he would have been nearly as successful as he has been without his trademark offbeat business style. The fact that he bucks the norm has been widely reported, and this can only have added to his public recognition factor - call it celebrity if you will. I suppose he started out in the record business, and this might have helped him gain a reputation irrespective of his style. Once his business really took off, I imagine that people wanted to be associated with the successful Virgin brand, and the fact that his style was so different to the usual business dress just made him stand out from the crowd.

genebujold wrote:

Too bad customers are still so judgemental they're unable to disassociate reality from the puny mental constructs thereof they refer to as "a brain."

While gene's sentaments and opinions are very liberal and politically correct from some people's point of view, it's still the customers money and they get to spend it any way and wherever they want to. Or, that's the way it is here in the southeastern part of the USA. And, until things change, that's the way the market works.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Isnt it a matter of being responsible for our actions and the consquences that go with that. If I make a change in my business that increases my client base and income, I am responsible for that change, not any one else and I suffer the consequemces, in this case inmcreased business. But if that change brought about decreased business I would still be resonsible and I would still suffer the consequences. The way people feel about those employed in my business or the colour of the paint used to decorate the walls is not my responsibility, I dont hold a gun to their head and say you will feel a particular way. It is their choice, their repsonsiblity and they will suffer the consequences what ever they are. Hope that makes sense to all. Jeff

Ah, now you've got the cart before the horse.

JeffM, you said:

I dont hold a gun to their head and say you will feel a particular way. It is their choice, their repsonsiblity and they will suffer the consequences what ever they are.

If I chose not to do business with you because you are unkempt and smell because you don't bathe, that's my choice. Now, what consequences do you suppose I will suffer because I chose not to associate with a person that doesn't have anymore pride in themselves than to smell like the local garbage dump? They will suffer the financial consequences from driving off prospective customers because customers can't stand to be in the same room with them, yet alone stand close enough to them to discuss business. Like I said, it's my money and I can spend it anyway I wish to.

Hi Bubba. It seems to me you are agreeing with me. If you choose to not do business with me because I smell then what are the consequences for you? I dont know but maybe you would miss out on getting the best product for your needs, the best customer service there is (except for the smell) or any thing like that. Your actions are your responsiblity and the consequences you suffer are all yours. I am not forcing you to not do business with me. It is as you say your choice. You wear heels in public I believe. If you miss out on some ones friendship because of that are you going to change or put up with the consequences and not have that friendship. If I choose to be a smelly person and miss out on your business am I going to change or put up with the consequences of not having your business. Life would be pretty stressful if I changed myself every time I wanted some one elses approval. So do I look neat and clean and even smell nice when I see my customers, yes I do, but it is my choice to do that. Jeff

considering I don't work anymore (employers don't understand my disabilty and think I'm more able than I look - and that's was with a support worker!) I 've worked in a few areas but never had the chance to wear heels at work :D then again I sorta like the idea, that not alot of people know that I like wearing heels (I'm still heavily closeted, but slowly coming out of it - and like heels a bit higher than what most office Girls/ladies would get away with! <TXT-1 points finger at his avatar> unfortunately I'm a US womens 13 and all the stylish/more sensible shoes stop at 10-12 US womens :( thats Murphy's Law for you! :( and I don't hold ANY weapon to anyones head, thats just stupid if the gun goes off accidentally, you could be up for murder! later, TXT-1

Jeff M: yes, as you say, it's my choice and I might miss out of the best craftsman ever. However, in this date and time, competition is enormous and very fierce. And, your scenario applys to all instances where there is more than one source for a service or merchandise. The old saying "you pays your money and takes your choice" is very true. You win some and lose some -- and some get rained out. All you can strive for is a "wash" to come out even in the end. However, when you make your choice, there are many factors that you base your decision upon. Life isn't a bouquet of roses or even a bowl of cherries. However, I have learned from my personal experience that the better impression you make on clients and/or customers, the more business you will attract. The second part of the equation is that once you get the contract or make the sale, you had better perform well if you want to keep the client or have the customer return in the future. Then again, the person might be one of those that feels that if he doesn't succeed, the government will take care of him. So, no worries, mate. Care is from the womb to the tomb and everyone is happy -- even the stinking ones.

I'm a US womens 13 and all the stylish/more sensible shoes stop at 10-12 US womens

later,

TXT-1

Oh, I dunno. Although I'm not quite that large (I'm an 11) I feel for you! Fortunately, I've seen some real leather high-heeled shoes and boots in size 13 on Nordstrom's and Zappos' websites.

Zappos is funny - if you watch it all the time, you'll see models appearing in the larger sizes only when they first come out - then the sizes tend to come down a bit as time wears on.

The neat thing is that they have a terrific search engine, probably the best in the business, so let it do your work for you, and you'll undoubtedly find some very nice higher heels on Zappos very soon.