Will the trend be higher or lower?

Roberto74

I wonder, with negative articles on the 'higher heeltrend' is bad for womens feet and some whispers that the trend of towering heels is over, what the trend will be: lower heels again or less platform or will designers be stubborn and create even higher heels with higher arches that most women would not able/dare to wear? Already in the highest heels women can show themselves off and get more attention wearing higher heels than all the other women around and wear them with pride (despite a little unstableness maybe)... So it would be certainly a challenge for some to wear even higher/higher arched heels if that would be the next 'high'... How far would the designers go? Just adding more platform as the Louboutin Daffodile to get heels of 6" and higher (which effectively are not much more than 4" heels) or really getting higher arched heels that exceed the 5" mark/arch and maybe women would really challenge designerheels of 'fetish-shoe-heights' like 6" without platform or maybe 8" with 2-2.5" platform? :) Any thoughts?

At the moment the market is definitely towards more heel, less platform but we are also seeing lower but more shapely heels. Designers will not design shoes that no one will wear because if no one will wear them then they won't buy them. At the end of the day, the factory that the designer works for is there to make money and a shoe that doesn't sell is a disaster.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wonder, with negative articles on the 'higher heeltrend' is bad for womens feet and some whispers that the trend of towering heels is over, what the trend will be: lower heels again or less platform or will designers be stubborn and create even higher heels with higher arches that most women would not able/dare to wear?

Already in the highest heels women can show themselves off and get more attention wearing higher heels than all the other women around and wear them with pride (despite a little unstableness maybe)... So it would be certainly a challenge for some to wear even higher/higher arched heels if that would be the next 'high'...

How far would the designers go? Just adding more platform as the Louboutin Daffodile to get heels of 6" and higher (which effectively are not much more than 4" heels) or really getting higher arched heels that exceed the 5" mark/arch and maybe women would really challenge designerheels of 'fetish-shoe-heights' like 6" without platform or maybe 8" with 2-2.5" platform? :)

Any thoughts?

Eight inch heels with a 2.25 inch platform sounds really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe (I am afraid) there will be more wegdes coming...

Never fear pata, I don't think wedges will ever become a classic like the pump.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Wedge pumps? it has happened before.

Yes, but they didn't become classics like the stiletto pump. The stiletto pump is after all the real icon of high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

ok here in germany they seem to conquer magazines, shops etc,- considering lady gaga and similar I believe there will be more in that direction, but higher than those now and eventually some new platform creations. mind also in fifties wegdes were considered quite classy & sexy (pinup girl pictures) - notice a lot of cheap china heeless platform boots at ebay- well I do not think they really will leave the fetish corner but at that mass they change the perception- and; after I was kind of forced to make my first experience wearing wegdes- they FEEL very nice at feet, even when quite high- I guess better ergonomic stability easier to produce even if they are cheap made... well, we will see. some of gml wegde styles I thought e.g. VERY interesting and nice. And obviously these already are copied by cheap manufacturers... there is quite for sure more to come.

There are so many designers, it depends which shoe will be the most worn style by celebrities. The absolute classics from the past i have in mind are the CL Pigalle, YSL Trib Too, right now CL Daffodile and so we will see who is designing the next classic. But many Designers go one step lower, very strappy, classic heels without platforms. I still think, even the style was not super popular, the Jimmy Choo Vita had the best classic looks for a Designer Shoe, higher than some fetish shoes from the past.

Kisses,

Gina

• 2 weeks later...

I, unfortunately, expect a major shift; wedges - possibly. The reason, as was stated earlier, is that shoe companies need to make money. If they have already created the "definitive" shoe in recent years, there is no need to do anything other than shut the factory. But I don't think it has much to do with the "definitive" beautiful shoe as it does with being in style. Though members of this board will always buy the best looking heels, I think the majority of consumers will buy what they are told in fashion magazines are 'the style.' By changing the style to a chunkier heel, blade heel, a lower heel, different prints/patterns, etc. they will lead consumers to want them in order to be in style. Now, I predict few of the changes, if any, will be brand new. They will have been around before but they just weren't prominent in recent years. Peep toes are very popular right now but I remember them most as what my mother used to wear. The classic pump and other such classic styles will always be around but they just won't be that prominent. I have been through this a dozen times with my own clothes. Wide ties to narrow ties to medium width ties. Ties with subtle pattern, ties with bold patterns, solid ties, red ties (remember power ties?), pastel ties, ties with French painters on them. As I type this, even more are coming back to me (oh! The horror). There have been wide lapels, narrow lapels, no lapels at all. Pants with cuffs, pants with no cuffs, plain fronts, pleats in front, reverse pleats in front. Tight pants (remember Angel's Flight?), baggy pants and 'comfort fit' (never had any). I've had them all at one time or another. If they sold a suit and never changed the style, I probably would only buy suits when they wore out (a long time). By pushing a new style periodically, they assure that anyone who cares that they don't look like an 'old man' will continue to update the wardrobe. I've only recently been able to buy anything that didn't have a bit of olive in it to go with all the other olive things they were selling. Some years back I spent months trying to find brown dress shoes to go with some favorite suits. I finally found some but I'm pretty sure they were the last pair on the face of the earth. My wife's preference is for tall stilettos (lucky me) and thanks to all the links to quality, European shoe manufactures posted on this board, she won't have any trouble getting them. Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

How far would the designers go? Just adding more platform as the Louboutin Daffodile to get heels of 6" and higher (which effectively are not much more than 4" heels) or really getting higher arched heels that exceed the 5" mark/arch and maybe women would really challenge designerheels of 'fetish-shoe-heights' like 6" without platform or maybe 8" with 2-2.5" platform? :smile:

Any thoughts?

I think the better question is: "What's the next big shoe trend for Next year?" But, this is close enough. And my answer is as follows...

I believe (I am afraid) there will be more wegdes coming...

:penitent: Afraid of little-ol' wedgies?! Don't be!

But as said in another post, yeah, wedges won't ever be the "mainstream" spectacle that classic pumps are today, especially with various styles of wedges being made and done today alone. There aren't any (far as I know) "classic wedges", after all. Unless, you count the low, slip-on ones grandmothers wear in and out of stores :smile: Still, I, of course, won't mind a certain Jump in the Wedges Department. I'm still hoping for Some brand to bring back a certain wedge that I regret Not buying :/

Ah, I can dream, can't I~

Formally "HHDude"

Although I'm not a great fan of wedges as a stiletto-lover, I like the very high wedge styles like these for example:

http://shoerazzi.com/kim-kardashian-in-giuseppe-zanotti-4/

http://shoerazzi.com/rachel-zoe-in-casadei-2/

They are still pretty high for most women I guess, despite the better stability compared with a very thin stiletto heel of the same height..

But somehow the thin heels are more sexy and elegant to me..

http://shoerazzi.com/jimmy-choo-kerfield-bootie/

One the highest styles at the moment? 6" heel with a 1" platform... Most other over 5"+ shoes have platforms of at least 1.5" and are effectively often 'just' about 4"... So I like these very much and hope the trend will be higher and even more challenging for those who dare to wear them!:smile:

The Pigalle Plato comes in a 140mm and a 120 version, i love the 140mm or the Casadei 5.1" version.

A blog I read posted a new entry on a show she went to, I'm guessing recently (I missed the date). And immediately, the first picture struck me, then the next.

http://www.thetwomissfits.com/2011/11/rajo-laurel-for-parisian-shoes.html

Well...there's the wedges, haha. But the stilettos aren't going anywhere, either. Unless they're open-toe pumps? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Formally "HHDude"

I'm so hoping that the 5+" heels (and even 6+") will stay for a while. Firstly, because I really like wearing them - but also because I've also invested so much money in some over the past year that I want to be able to keep wearing them. And, I am so addicted to buying shoes and boots I love that I want to keep doing so (and I have to admit it is partially the heel height which has me a little bit obsessed).:smile: But I fear that the heel heights are starting to lower a little bit overall this season.

But I fear that the heel heights are starting to lower a little bit overall this season.

Who cares. Wear what you want as long as it looks good. Love fashion but don't be a slave to it.

I agree in theory. But there is the wish many have to be fashionable and to fit in well with friends. Since I started raising my heel heights a year ago or so, I think I might always stay on the high side of the trends. Actually I was also sort of on the high side back in high school - but that was in context of what was going on fashion-wise at my school, which only meant 3 - 3 1/2" . But this is not what this thread is about. It's supposed to be about the trends and not about me. I still think the trend will be for heel heights to come down somewhat over the next couple of years (sadly) - but not before they fully play out the huge chunky heel look of the 70s and 90s.