How long do people stay logged in?

I'm intrigued: I often have a look to see who is logged in when I am. Some regular contributors are rarely in the list, so they obviously visit at different times. That's not hard to understand, given the different time zones. However, there are some who nearly ALWAYS seem to be there, and for some of these it's the middle of the night. Not all are regular contributors; some haven't been active for ages. This suggests two alternatives to me: These members are nocturnal. These members keep their computers switched on 24/7 and never log out. Can someone enlighten me?

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

It is most likely: "These members keep their computers switched on 24/7 and never log out." With the advent of WiFi, DSL, cable and satellite Internet connections, the need to dial out and establish a link goes away. Your system is on the 'net as soon as it boots and stays that way until you turn it off. So if you leave your browser up and HHplace is always on your screen you will probably always be on the active list. The server does have a time-out for activity -- I believe it is on the order of an hour. When you log on to the site, the system puts you on the active list. Then it starts marking time. If you don't do anything for the time limit, it drops you off the list. If you make any server requests before the limit times out, the timer is reset and you stay on the list. A server request may be loading a page, looking at a thread, posting, or whatever. Playing the arcade games will keep you on the active list too.

Have a happy time!

Most times I would log in about once a day. When I am down at site, like now, I usually log in sometime between getting back to the motel unit and going to bed which would be between about 5:00 and 9:00 (Perth Western Australia time). When I am working from home which is usually Mondays and Fridays I might log in a few times during the day if I get bored with work and want to do something else. I am usually on my own in the unit when working from home unless Alise decides to take a day off from her work. Unless work is really interesting then it can get seriously boring. Also now I have bought an Iconia pad PC and sometimes go on the internet when in bed at night when I am home. Sometimes this includes a quick look at this site to see what is going on. I mostly do not stay logged on for very long. Mostly it is just a quick check because I am usually also checking other sites of friends or friends Facebook pages. Christine.

Yes, thanks! I was wondering about whether the site had a timing-out limit, which is another reason I was intrigued why people seemed to be logged in the whole time, even when they're most probably asleep. That of course applies to you!!! Assuming you're five hours behind us, it must have been before 6 am when you replied...

John Milton

When I'm home, which is most of the time, I'm logged in. I only work for 2 to 3 hours a day. It's great to be free of paid slavery.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

That of course applies to you!!! Assuming you're five hours behind us, it must have been before 6 am when you replied...

It would have been about 5:30 pm (Wed afternoon) when I replied and it is 8:20 pm now and I am about to go to bed. I have to be up at 6:00 to be on site at 7:30.

Christine.

I am logged onto HHP on my Iphone and as you an have numerous pages open at once I never close it, as my phone is on 24/7 my log on via this method is always there. I usually view the forum on my laptop once a day but my Iphone connection is never off although I can go days without checking it via that method.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Since I use my computer for fun things, like High Heel Place, and for business and work, I am continually logging off and on from the various programs and servers. I can't ever remember staying logged on here for any length of time when I wasn't posting.

I'm usually only logged on long enough to check out the threads and look at any that might interest me that have been updated. I usually do this twice a day, a.m. and p.m. sometimes I am logged on for 20-30 minutes, other times for mere seconds.

It would have been about 5:30 pm (Wed afternoon) when I replied and it is 8:20 pm now and I am about to go to bed. I have to be up at 6:00 to be on site at 7:30.

Christine.

Sorry Christine, my message was a reply to jmc, who's in the USA, and I didn't realise you'd added a message while I was still composing mine! Perhaps I should get in the habit of quoting rather than just leaving a quick message. Yes indeed, you're way ahead of us in Australia, as I'm sure you think in many ways...

John Milton