Who shops at Payless?

unknown

I know there is a lot of reading, but it is worth slowing working through the old threads in this 'For the guys' forum. Certainly Payless has been discussed by our north American friends a number of times. /I

/I

I got my first couple pairs of 3.5" pumps at payless. Although their selection around here seems to be a bit sketchy recently. Good heels can be found almost anywhere, just keep your eyes open. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

If your looking for sexy heels/pumps or anything over 3 inches, payless if definitely not a good source. However if you are just starting out and looking for a 2 to 3 inch block heel shoe/boot, they have some not so bad ones at a not so bad price. I just ordered a few boots from them, 2 at 2 inches, 1 at 2.5 inches, and 1 at 3 inches. They are actually wearable for work where it is alot more conservative. As my courage grows and I want to venture out in something higher or with a thinner heel, then I will definitely have to shop around elsewhere.

Another good source looks like www.bakers.com which someone else posted here.

Good luck, happy hunting,

Scotty

I've bought perhaps 15 pairs of heels from Payless (in store), and about 7 pairs online. Due to their often less than stellar construction and a fit which seems skewed at times, I would highly recommend you visit a store. I've had to ship back about half the ones I purchased online due to poor fit. If you're a little unsure of yourself, take a trip to the nearest big city - there's usually half a dozen stores in your average larger city, and most of the Payless sales staff are familiar with guys buying heels. Addresses and even maps can be found on Payless' website. If you're willing to shop in a store, however, and you wear a ladies size 12 or smaller, find a Nordstroms. The prices are higher, but many of the shoes are real leather, and you'll be assured of finding a shoe that fits well and will last a long time. To cut down on "in-store time," you might want to shop online for several pairs, then call the store to confirm they have at least some of them in stock. Good luck!

I have a similar experience with Payless. I always buy directly in the store after trying on the shoes. Some shoes are really poor, but I still regularly find a nice shoe for very little money. Around here, you can definitely find 4" heels at Payless. High heel slippers and sandals are usually very good buys at Payless. But for the shoes and boots i want to wear more often, I go to a store with higher quality shoes.

All righty.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

I went ahead and ordered these:

Posted Image

I guess these might be good "starter" heels for me that can go either dressy or casual.

I also got these:

Posted Image

I know these are low, but some reason, I'm just a sucker for their utter cuteness. :(

I shop at Payless frequently since so few stores (okay, next to none!) sell women's shoes in 13 wide which is what I wear. I've never had any problems with the shoes I've purchased there, and while the selection in my particular size is small at best, I usually can find what I want. So Payless can indeed be a good option.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I'm sure I replied to this before but can't find it. Did a weird post appear in another forum perhaps...?

Yes, some of the shoes are pretty cheaply made. Mostly plastics. But I've seen the same identical shoes with other brand names with some pretty fancy prices.

For instance I bought a pair of nearly flat Mary Janes for $24.99 in Payless. They're leather and seem like they'll last a century. The exact same shoe here is $88.95. I've stared at the photo and can't find even one a stitch difference -- except for the brand name and price.

I bought a pair of platform flip-flops this summer for $12.99 at Payless. The exact shoe was in Steve Madden for $39.99. I handled them in the SM store while wearing mine -- believe me, they're identical.

That doesn't make them great shoes, but it does point up that Payless doesn't have a corner on the market.

Also, their staff seems to be trained to be gender blind. Nobody has ever either implied shoes I buy are for me, nor assumed they were for someone else. They're just a sale.

Once I asked if they had a particular size in the stockroom. When the clerk returned with the shoe, I tried it on standing right there in front of the store (a 3 inch heel loafer). All the clerk said was, "That looks like a good fit."

Also if they don't have your size, they can check the computer inventory of other stores in the area thus saving gas during our all too frequent quests for large sizes.

It is not always the case they don't assume anything. I recently had to return a pair of heels (US size 10) to a payless because they didn't fit well and I just said I wanted to return them, I didn't say who they were for. The woman returning them just said "Tell your wife you should be able to keep the money since she is making you return them for her". Of course I just smiled and didn't confirm or deny I was returning them for my wife, but that was her assumption.

>> "Tell your wife you should be able to keep the money since she is making you return them for her" <<

That may have just been her way of dealing with the transaction without embarressing either herself or the customer.

• 2 weeks later...

I do shop there both for my regular (mens) tennis shoes, and for heels. The heel selection in size 11 is usually limited,and size 10 shoes are usually too small for me. However, I've gotten some nice shoes there. The staff are usually quite pleasant, if they even notice me.

the truth shall make you fret

I usually wear a size 12 and often check whats new at Payless. The other day I was disappointed because nothing really looked good. In desperation I walked over to the size 11 rack, which had many more shoes. I picked up a pair of ankle zip boots with a 2 inch heel in extra wide. To my amazement they fit perfectly felt comfortable and the ends of my toes don't even touch the inside of the shoe. I guess it all depends on the style and make of the shoe. I wore them most all weekend while shopping with my wife. She never even noticed or at least is use to my shoes with heels higher than hers. It is nice to be a bit taller than her when I hold her close. So don't be afraid to try on some other sizes close to yours. You might be surprised. I sure was. ed :(

I normally wear a UK Size 6.5 (or 7) or Euro Size 39.5 or (40) but recently picked up a pair of Raid 4.5 inch wedge heel, closed toe, heel cup, ankle strap, sandals in UK Size 5 or Euro Size 38 and they fit perfectly. This wasn't in Payless, it was in the UK. Just a passing comment to try the sizes above and below your normal size "just in case".

I usually wear a size 12 and often check whats new at Payless.

The other day I was disappointed because nothing really looked good.

In desperation I walked over to the size 11 rack, which had many more shoes. I picked up a pair of ankle zip boots with a 2 inch heel in extra wide.

To my amazement they fit perfectly felt comfortable and the ends of my toes don't even touch the inside of the shoe. I guess it all depends on the style and make of the shoe.

I wore them most all weekend while shopping with my wife. She never even noticed or at least is use to my shoes with heels higher than hers.

It is nice to be a bit taller than her when I hold her close.

So don't be afraid to try on some other sizes close to yours. You might

be surprised. I sure was. ed :(

I'm amazed to see guys post about escapades where their wives "never even noticed."

Of course they noticed! Even if they claimed otherwise.

I won't get into the reasons why...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking shoe Scotty.

I just ordered a couple pair of new boots from Payless.com

and had the instore delivery. Just walked in picked up the order and away I went. Very easy way to shop there and you don't need to worry if the particular shoe is in stock

[C:\026851.gif]

Wives notice everything, ask me how I know. If your's a little taller one day that the other, they notice. Your wife just puts up with it. Be sensitive to her needs and don't get too outlandist. Keep it subtle.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually need a US Women's size 12 or 12W in a heeled boot or closed shoe. In Ottawa, Canada, there are virtually no stores other than Payless that carry any heeled shoe styles in that size, and even the Payless stores have a very poor selection in size 12.

Nevertheless, I've been able to get a few items that I've liked.

These Payless boots, in size 12W, have a 2 1/4 inch heel:

Posted Image

They aren't quite as high as I would have liked in that style, but I take what I can get. They are made of leather, and are better quality than the typical Payless product. I've been able to wear them everywhere during the fall and early winter season here, and no one seems to mind, or even notice. My wife thinks they're perfectly fine for me to wear in public, and she is very, very conservative about these things.

Just a few days ago, I found these at Payless:

Posted Image

Trouser leg pulled up to show a little more detail:

Posted Image

These boots, in size 12, have a heel that is almost 4 1/2 inches high with a 1/2 inch platform. Immediately after buying them I took them to a shoe repair shop, and had the plastic heel tips replaced with rubber ones that are less slippery and less noisy. They are very stable and comfortable boots.

Yesterday I wore them out on a trip to the largest shopping mall in the city (my wife wasn't with me - she wouldn't have approved of me wearing them in public!). The mall was very busy with thousands of people doing their Christmas shopping. I went around the shops for almost two hours, wearing them with the black trousers shown above. I'm sure at least a few people must have noticed, but I didn't get so much as a single stare, let alone any comments. Maybe Canadians are just too polite!!

On Halloween I went to payless to buy some boots, but to my surprise all 12's were gone or with no heel. I also a nice pair of JLO's looking booties with a 3 inch heel and fitted just fine! Wore those on my first outing ever! Nine West has a nice variety of sizes 11 and 12 online, and you can always change them at the store. hope this tip helps Pam