College in AK

I have settled into my dorm. I've been in Alaska for just over a week now. My roommate is nice. She is very kind and I enjoy talking to her. I realize I haven't been on in a while and figured I'd post this. The campus is pretty small, but I am guessing that in the winter it will seem larger because of having to trek through snow and ice. I am nervous about the 40 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) that is normal in December/January. It's so beautiful here though! The mountains, the trees, the air is so clean... it's just amazing! The people here also tend to be very accepting and open minded. If you don't bother them about what they do they don't bother you about your actions. They are all very laid back seeming and seem to have the attitude that if you are confident enough to do it, they won't bug you about it. I was wondering, though, has anyone else had an experience where they fall in love with a new environment and think that they never want to leave it?

I fell in love with Italy and didn't want to leave. And about that -40° C or F they're the same. An interesting phenominom occurs. Every time you inhale through you nose the moisture in your nose will freeze. A strange sensation but harmless.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Ooooh. The land of the furry thigh boot!

Weirdly that was my first thought too!

It sounds like a great place to live but the potential for that much snow and ice isn't my style - I like it crisp and cold but dry too (which I don't get very often in the UK but never mind!)

For me, there are places all over that will hold a small part of my heart and it's only natural that, as you grow and experience new things, you find one place that truly holds you and feels like 'home' the minute to get there. I hope it works out for you there and I wish you the best of luck with college! :)

Chris

I am nervous about the 40 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) that is normal in December/January. It's so beautiful here though! The mountains, the trees, the air is so clean... it's just amazing!

I was wondering, though, has anyone else had an experience where they fall in love with a new environment and think that they never want to leave it?

Youngest son lived in Fairbanks for 4 years, in charge of trainning there for an Army unit. Per him, 40 below is no joke. Any safety precautions suggested by the locals, take VERY seriously. He had 2 grade-school children at the time. Gloves/mittens required to & from school. If kids lost 'em at school, they were not permitted to leave until someone showed up with more gloves/mittens. NO exceptions. Frostbite, which can creep up on you, he says. He also says he's going back upon retirement; its the most beautiful place he's ever been. Having lived in Hawaii, that's high praise.

Be mindful....and have GREAT fun!!

UpBy5

I have settled into my dorm. I've been in Alaska for just over a week now. My roommate is nice. She is very kind and I enjoy talking to her. I realize I haven't been on in a while and figured I'd post this. The campus is pretty small, but I am guessing that in the winter it will seem larger because of having to trek through snow and ice. I am nervous about the 40 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) that is normal in December/January. It's so beautiful here though! The mountains, the trees, the air is so clean... it's just amazing!

The people here also tend to be very accepting and open minded. If you don't bother them about what they do they don't bother you about your actions. They are all very laid back seeming and seem to have the attitude that if you are confident enough to do it, they won't bug you about it.

I was wondering, though, has anyone else had an experience where they fall in love with a new environment and think that they never want to leave it?

I think that's typical for when you travel. Traveling forces you out of the inhibited comfort zone of your hometown. Adaptation to the new environment requires an open mind and creative thinking. It can go so far as to feel like you are re-inventing yourself. When all these new sensations get associated to the new city in which you find yourself, it's understandable why you might feel like you never want to leave.

I used to feel like that. Now it's more about finding people that I vibe with best, independent of whichever country or culture I may be in. And right now for me, that's Swedes.

Have fun and enjoy the richness of experience which AK is now offering you.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

[...] has anyone else had an experience where they fall in love with a new environment and think that they never want to leave it?

I have traveled the United States, Mexico, Guatemala and Germany, but it was only in the latter where I got that feeling. I simply fell in love.

I have had your exact experience. After being born and raised in the midwest and spending close to 30 years of my life there, I travelled to Seattle for a college roomate's wedding. When I got back to work in Chicago I immediately put in for a transfer.Within 4 months I was living here. I moved away from Seattle for about 9 years for grad school and my first duty assignment, but put in for a PCS back here as soon as one came up. Have been back for 4 years and know that, even if I have to PCS again, I will return here to retire when the time comes. I love Alaska as well, that would be my next choice in duty stations, prerferably not Nome or Kotzebue, but will take what is assigned.

I am in Fairbanks. It's awesome! None of the novelty has worn off yet. And Dr. Shoe, the furry thigh boot is amazing but I have yet to see one up here, unfortunately.

Take a drive to Seward but be careful, the scenery is amazing so the road can be very dangerous.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

hmmm.. Not to the point where I didn't want to leave, but a few places where I could have seen myself living and being content.. Alaska is on my list of places to see.. I'd really like to see some of it by train... I think it would be a neat trip.. Enjoy, Eggnog..:)

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

Eggnog, What a great thread you started! It seems we have some place (or places) we fall in live with and seemingly never want to leave. Back in 1990 I was living and working along the Arizona/Sonora border and spent a weekend in Flagstaff in the northern Arizona. One step out of the car and the smell of pine hits your nose coupled with a very transparent atmosphere and vivid colors and the sensation of all this convinces many to keep coming back. I was so enamored with the place I bought a small plot (100 ft wide by 435 feet deep) or exactly an acre for $3000 in 1990 about 4 miles NW of Flagstaff. The road was graded dirt at the time but is paved today with utilities available. The land is forested with aspen, ponderosa pine, and blue spruce and is at about 7,650 feet above sea level and is now valued at around $40,000 and I haven't even built on it yet. The real estate market there is very healthy because of demand for land and second homes. Another place I enjoy immensely, and am figuring out a way to spend more time there, is Brazil or Brasil as I normally spell it. A booming economy with everything from desert to jungle to mountains plus food and drink that makes all mouths water Brasil is a country destined for greatness and scores of people are now making it a second home if not their new home as many seek a different kind of retirement lifestyle. Look hard enough and you'll find your niche! HappyinHeels

And now for some sad news from Eggnog's dad (Aka tightsnheels :).)

Eggnog is back home in St. Louis as of Friday Sept. 16, the school messed up her financial aid and wouldn't wait for the loans to disperse (on the 23rd.) They cut off her meal plan and basically told her to get lost. So it was one third of the fortune they wanted for her to stay to bring her home than to leave her there, homeless and hungry.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

That really bites! Please send my condolences.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

That is so bad news. What sort of fools run these places? A youngster keen to learn and progress - and this happens. Beyond belief!!! Do give her our best wishes - hope that things can be sorted out.

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

So sad getting to know that. However, my family and my friends taught me that when Life takes anything from you is because greater, better things are to come. Warm, sunny mexican regards for you and Eggnog. :)