What does "mens heels" mean to you?

SleekHeels

What does "mens heels" mean to you?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What does "mens heels" mean to you?

• Heels in mens sizes
    • Heels in "masculine" styles
    • Feminine styles in the mens department

Men's heels to me paints a picture of a pair of ugly looking chunky heeled shoes that i would never be seen dead wearing! In my opinion, even if shoe stores were stacked full of heels for men, i'd still be shopping in the womens section.

Men's heels to me paints a picture of a pair of ugly looking chunky heeled shoes that i would never be seen dead wearing!

In my opinion, even if shoe stores were stacked full of heels for men, i'd still be shopping in the womens section.

I admit I prefer stiletto's but the current trend for slimmer block heels is a god send for heavier public heelers like me.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

After a few thinking, I suppose the thickness of the heel is not as relevant as it seems to distinguish between men and women shoes.

Indeed, the thinner the heel, the least it is visible... if you want to remain unnoticed, better to wear stiletto (silent ones) than big black chunky heels !!!

There is another point : men usually have longer feet than women.

And when they wear heels, most women choose shoes that make their feet look even smaller.

To me this is why the combo "straight stacked heels + skinny jeans" works for men : it makes their feet look the right length.

(such as what wore Owens, or this guy http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2ajZnyu8qCQ/TRylPWs0ISI/AAAAAAAAOkg/oyYho5Lbjq8/s1600/VirginblakRaptilePrintStuddedBikerJacket0NY8.jpg)

Now I understand the effort of Rui Leonardes with its ultra pointy heels for men (that were ugly by the way !!)

• 5 months later...

What does men's heels mean to me?

Rather, what does men's shoes mean to me?

To that, I answer with: "shoes I'm forced to wear until I can light my own path out to individuality"

Formally "HHDude"

Mens heels to me means whatever the chap want's to wear, he likes them so they are his mens heels. If your happy then just wear them. I also think wearing what you want is easier as you get older, you don't seem to care as much.

life is not a rehearsal

Guys who need to wear heels , rather than being forced to , need to be selective. OK the obvious would be a court shoe but consider going for backless or sandals as in many cases you can wear a smaller size. Big feet are not really feminine

...Big feet are not really feminine

Greetings debbie :-)

This is a really good point and I totally agree with you. (I envy those with smaller feet)

More true when the shoes is with open toes. (This is why I prefer boots)

And the higher the heel, the smaller the feet appears to be.

But not too high so the shoe or boot is comfortable (and fun) to wear :unsure:

Have a nice day !

PS:

You had no "Thank you" yet so I gave you one for you excellent comment.

Not sure but I think there is no "Thank you" button in the girl's section...

I'm changing my answer to "none of the above." To me, "men's heels" means heels made specifically for men. The masculinity or femininity is immaterial, though I hope to see some svelte men's styles similar to the boots in my avatar. The clunkers some fashion designers shod their male models with in an attempt to shock audiences aren't particularly appealing.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Im not a fan of women's heels, Ive always enjoy seeing a guy in cool men's boots or shoes be it cowboy, or dress. I own cowboy boots with tall heels, the look I love! To each his own of course, but me myself look foolish wearing spike heels, some guys can pull it off, not I of course, I again prefer a more masculine look. Men's heels such as a tall undershot heel or a cuban heel, or even a cool 70s retro platform is so cool to wear, even in public, and yes I have 70s platform boots, lol.

post-15306-13352298176_thumb.jpg

bo2.bmp

bo3.bmp

tn.bmp

Wouldn't "men's heels" be considered an oxymoron? Just saying. Give me traditional WOMEN'S heels any day of the week!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I still say 98% of the shoes in my closet are heels. They are my heels. I'm a man. That makes them mens heels. End of argument. :unsure:

I bow before the tremendous logic of your argument.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 1 month later...

I voted all three, but I think that in marketing the term "men's heels" is used to allow any unknown to charge the earth for what are basically mainstream high heels (usually boots) that you could get from the so called women's side (albeit usually in a smaller size) for a lot less; take the ones shown by Gudulitoo in the post I quoted, over £100 for the Rick Owens lookalikes when you could get Togo boots on eBay new for £40, which are probably the same quality, but marketed as women's shoes even though in larger sizes. I just want all shoes to be available in all sizes, so both men and women can have heels and flats in their collections, and buy their shoes from ASDA or similar! There will always be people against men in heels (thankfully my Mum isn't - she just worries that I may fall and with good reason, lol, and reminds me not to wear them when I'm gonna walk on cobbles - btw how do the women in Corrie do it?!) but if marketers would aim cheap heels at men as well as women, then much of society would probably accept us - on that note I wore really loud sounding heels to college yesterday - not my first public heeling but my OMANOs that I've sold weren't so loud, and nobody seemed to mind or really notice, only one person looked up as I entered the room because a lady in heels was stepping in time to me so they probably thought both of us were gong to enter the class room!

It seems that a number of stores are now selling heeled shoes designed for men.

I don't know if the design procedure they used (that I attempted to describe earlier in this thread) resulted in shoes that match the desires of people in this forum :

These ones are really great :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vb-HOMME-Mens-killer-Heel-Oxford-Dress-Shoes-Enamel-MoD-/230513384837?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item7b6722b600

This store have some shoes of interest :

http://stores.ebay.com/GENTLER/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=1022390165&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

While it seems they have taken into account the interest of men in new colors, I am not sure it is so well tasted... Maybe have to rethink the design procedure ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Hand-Made-Trendy-Boots-Western-Style-2-colors-4714-/150609612294?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2311084e06

Some of them are confusing the 2011 trend with fashion in the seventies, but why not reusing the old designs, its cheaper, and it was well proven as a best seller, namelly the wincklepicker beatle boot !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-LEATHER-POINTED-WINKLEPICKER-ZIP-CUBAN-HEEL-BOOTS-/260826942719?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item82650d309a

I am sure in a few months you can buy a 4" heel beatle boot !

Now for the Louboutin's look alikes supporters, there is the men's equivalent, the Rick Owens look alikes here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Hand-Made-Trendy-Boots-10-cm-Kill-Heel-Boots-9001-/150605458187?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2310c8eb0b

And this ones are totally indescriptible (mix between slippers and court shoe), so a ballet flat equivalent I guess :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-BLACK-SUEDE-SPANISH-MADE-LEATHER-CUBAN-HEEL-SHOES-/270764514224?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item84b7fc9e47

Gudulitooo

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion. When I think of the term "men's heels", I don't fall far from what the vast majority of people would think, or for that matter what the marketer's intent probably is: a clearly male shoe that differs by, perhaps, having a touch more flair and a somewhat higher heel. It is a shoe, I would imagine, worn primarily for its height advantages and/or its nod to being somewhere near the line of cutting edge. All that said, anyone who has been tracking heels for a good while, say long time shoppers or watchers of eBay, for example, will note that there is a large, and growing, collection of heels in very large sizes. 13 - 16 (womens) for example (and as a side note, more fashionable and designer styles are also slowly appearing in these sizes over the past decade or so). And, based on anecdotal eBay watching and bidding from someone who hit the site every day for eons, they are selling fast. Sure, the increase in the height of some women may account for some of those sales. But just as likely the manufacturers recognize there is a male audience who snaps these up. So, while I would never call these very large size stilletos, as an example, "men's heels", I would certainly say they were manufactured with men in mind.