working an outfit with broad shoulders

very_c

so of all the threads that I have been reading, a common theme is to work a whole outfit while wearing heels and not to simply focus on the footwear. But i can't help but think that my shoulders would detract from any overall look. Is it better to hide the broad shoulders and if so what works well? or should I simply show them and allow them to be on display. I normally wear long sleeve shirts (loose fitting), but if i couple that with tighter pants (i haven't tried that yet, don't really know what my partner would think), does the whole style go out the window? should I be making the top part be tighter fitting to match the pants? I have a nice pair of thick heeled boots that look classy (in my eyes) and I have worn them with my work pants a few times (and some nice bright shirts my partner got for me), but it isn't an overall look, it's just heeled boots...or maybe it is a look...this is all so new to me. So what do i do for my upper body? understate it as much as possible or try and work to it's obvious characteristics? cheers D

If you're wearing thick heels, the outfit is not quite as critical to the overall look, where as stilettos require a much more put together look. A picture of you full length with at least close fitting clothing will go a long way to give us an idea of what we have to work with. You can black out your face if you choose to protect your identity.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

There's no right or wrong answer - some guys like to emphasise their male features and enjoy the contrast with a dainty pair of heels, some prefer to tone down their male features perhaps with more "rugged" looking heels for a more gender-neutral look, some actively incorporate verying degrees of femininity into their appearance. Just go for what you think looks/feels good on you and creates an image you're comfortable projecting. Remember, by what you choose to wear you're not trying to hide who you really are, you're enjoying the freedom of expressing who you are.

If you like it, wear it.

Just go for what you think looks/feels good on you and creates an image you're comfortable projecting. Remember, by what you choose to wear you're not trying to hide who you really are, you're enjoying the freedom of expressing who you are.

This is the best advice you can get on this topic. And the key word here is comfortable. But, like Shafted said, the stle of high heel too can help you coordinate your outfit. Just feel good and comfortable with the outfit you finally decide upon wearing.

very c, Perhaps part of the solution lies with your partner which you mention twice in your post. This person is obviously supportive of your fashion choices so why not encourage that person's input?? You have nothing to lose and all to gain by doing this. I'm not sure how exactly you dress but perhaps looking at how full-figured women dress (who often have large shoulders) may give you some ideas. I have a medium build at best and am only 68.5"/174cm tall with a size 10-11 (womens) shoe size so my choices are not so limited. The most important thing you should take from all this though is WEAR WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE AND WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL THE MOST COMFORTABLE ON THE OUTSIDE AND ON THE INSIDE. If it pleases your skin and makes your heart sing then you know it's the right choice! HappyinHeels:wave:

This person is obviously supportive of your fashion choices so why not encourage that person's input?? You have nothing to lose and all to gain by doing this.

HappyinHeels:wave:

Well i tried on a short sleeved dress at the shops, took a picture and then showed her tonight.

Apart from saying i have good legs (i also tried on some tight jeans, yay :irked: ), she mentioned my shoulders were too buff//broad (how ironic, the problem i was trying to work out). I couldn't find anything else with full sleve, 3/4 sleve or no sleve so wasn't able to take pictures of those styles to see what she thought, but at least she didn't baulk at seeing me in a dress.

I think i am happier over the fact that she is being so wonderful towards me than what style of clothing i tried on.

Most guys have a similar problem. It can be difficult to do dresses or feminine tops when you have broad shoulders. If you look carefully, the largest difference in proportions between men and women is shoulders to hips. Women often have narrow shoulders and wide hips, whereas for men that is the other way around. Dresses that expose your shoulders can emphasize the broadness, as do cap sleeves. Covered shoulders are better. Women also have the bust to detract from the shoulders. I find that turtle necks and other women's sweaters often work very well. Loose fitting can work well. If you do tight fitting tops, go for a heavier fabric. Thin tops that are tight fitting show everything and are hard to pull off ! I have been able to make cowl neck tops work as well. The draping upfront seems to detract from the shoulders. All in all, I have found fall and winter clothing much easier to pull off, then summer clothing. I am on vacation, but will try to post some pics later. Good luck

I solve that problem by wearing heels and skirt on the bottom, men's shirt on the top.

http://www.hhplace.org/guys/14555-skirting_envelope.html

I look a lot better now than in the early pics of that thread. Dropped some weight, wear my skirts at the waist and "straight" - not angled down in front... Encouraged by JeffB I have started with some shorter skirts, including my first pencil skirt I'll wear soon in public.

• 2 weeks later...