I hate my shoe/foot size and shape

My turn for a rant :lol: This is distinct from the rant about manufacturers inconsistent sizing but the thread where we can whine about what nature has given each of us! I'm in a kind "twilight zone" [cue the tv sf program theme tune] between uk8 and 9, probably nearer the 8 when it is a true 8 and not a 7.5/41. Choice can be sparse enough at an 8 anyway and where there is a 9 the makers seem to go mad "these are 'outsize', better make em big" and jump from 27cms to 28.5cms a much too great a leap. The trade off between width and lengh doesn't work for me either; I have an extremely narrow heel bone (don't even talk to me about men's shoes which are quite impossible) but splay out rather wide across the toes ~ I guess they have spread having worn shoes so little in 25yrs. So when I try some 9s they may be good around the toes but are too long and like boats around the heel; then an eight is either the right length, holds the heel but squeezes the toes or is generally not bad except my big toe (the longest bit) strikes the end. And another thing, my toes are fairly short and the instep/arch fairly long - this means few heeled styles give enough support under the arch and the ball of the foot doesn't plant itself correctly in the tox box. I'm beginning to feel I have no choice but to develop the skills in 'modification' but it is all time, work and a pain. OK, feel much better now, my rant over; anyone else want a go??? _ oh just in case anyone has a really generous present in mind for me :rofl: , the only things on the planet that seem to fit me are Church's 8G last; until Clarke's shut their Somerset factories down in the big recession, their 8.5 standard width was fine too, but their stuff all comes from Romania and places now. Half sizes... ...remember them, huh ???? My re-incarnation fantasy is to return as a sz UK5 :lol:

/I

It appears that short of having a complete foot transplant, the next good solution is "custom made" shoes. They're expensive, but last a long time. You're lucky...living in the UK you are close to several manufacturers that take custom orders. LSB, for one. (by the way, I believe custom shoes would be cheaper than a foot transplant -- although, if the shoes don't fit, probably just as painful :lol: )

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

...I believe custom shoes would be cheaper than a foot transplant -- although, if the shoes don't fit, probably just as painful :( )

On the other hand look at the number of (cheap) styles available after an (average) foot transplant.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

My true size is 39.5 European. I find that a true 40 European is just about OK too, but a true size 39 European is usually too tight. For UK sizes, size 6.5 is spot-on, but very few brands still do half sizes. A size 6 UK is usually out of the question, and a size 7 UK is often a little loose.

I think foot surgery usually consists of removing one or two toes completely. It's always seemed very drastic to me though no more or less so than any other form of cosmetic surgery. I've got the length of a 7 and the width in the toes of an 8 (UK sizes). I'm not complaining though because at least I can get heels that fit me. In the narrow toe styles I'll either buy in 8 or stretch the toes out with my fibreglass last or wooden stretcher. In the broad toe styles the 7's will fit nicely. I even have many boots which are size EUR 40. That size is actually slightly less than 7, about 6 3/4 according to charts.

• 2 weeks later...

im a mens 9 but fit womens 8 normally. I currently have 2 pairrs of womens 7 that are now stretched wnough for me. Trouble is its a push to find the standard womens sizes having a 8 in. Im a fan of MK one shoe styles (thanks to my gf shopping in there often) and you have to visit a big sheffield or leeds branch to get an 8. The smaller shops seem to forget that theres not everyone on the planet with size 4 or 5 feet.

Be thankful if you have feet that are the same size. My left foot is half a size bigger than my right and I can't ever get shoes to fit both feet, it's one or the other. I'm a US Men's 9 and Women's 10 most of the time. Actually, Women's 10 seems to be a average better fit than any men's shoes, except for the width :( I'm always toying with inserts in all my shoes except my tennis shoes because the right foot slips out when I walk in most shoes. Dang, I need some decent strapped pumps, but I haven't liked any of the ones I've tried. Those high straps put my ankle in a vice or don't do enough.

If you're looking for straps that aren't around the ankle, a mary jane style would do well for you, although they aren't always easy to find without a metal spiked heel and a lot of fancy aspects.

Leatherworks in the UK has some nice variations on this, at least to get an idea of the style. That's where the nice pair in my avatar icon came from.

http://www.leatherworks.org.uk/

Thanks, Laurie. The Mary Jane style looks like it's worth a try. I've got a couple on order now and will post my comments when they come in. I didn't get them from the site you mentioned, however, they have some great shoes :(

• 3 months later...

my left foot is bigger than my right aswell ihave recently found this with my new boots the toebox gets rather narrow at the bottom and my true size 8 right foot fits perfectly and has no pain even if on for an hour or two but the left foot gets pain after about 10 mins its anoying as heck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My male shoe size is US 7.5 Wide. In a court shoe my size is US 7.5 B women's and in a boot my size is 8 B women's. I do have a pair of boots in size 9 B women's, and can buy right off of the rack. Please don't throw rocks! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 3 months later...

Some shoes used to be made on a combination last to address heels several widths narrower than the front of the foot. I have not seen that feature advertised in women's or men's shoes in a long time. I was told years ago one has to go to expensive shoes to get it. I trust everyone is "tongue in cheek" in the discussion about foot surgery. If one's feet function well and without pain, why fool with something that ain't broke (to paraphase a popular saying). There are way too many possible foot problems without doing something that could create new ones. I have read about cases where foot modification surgery went terribly wrong. There is always risks with any surgery. Go for custom shoes first and always!

classic style high heel boots