First heeling experience outside (albeit at night)

ShyHeelGuy

Well I waited until stupid oclock in the morning (somewhere around 3ish) for my first walk outside in high heels. I put on my black wicked tshirt (Epic show by the way, anyone who is into musicals MUST go and see this!), my dark blue jeans and my 6 inch platform boots. I wore them under my jeans this time, but I think I may put them over my jeans next time if my confidence levels allow :irked: I got to the front door, and my heart rate jumped up several notches as the nerves set in. I took several deep breaths to calm myself down, and opened the front door. It was a good job I didnt choose last night to sleep, it was very warm and humid. Yuck. Anyway, I stepped outside onto the front door step, heart racing even faster. I took a quick look around outside to see no one was watching. All clear. I took a few seconds to compose myself and started walking. It was quite a surreal experience, listening to the sound of the heels in the dead quiet of the night. Each footfall sounded like a crack of lightning, although, I wasn't sure if it was the heels or my heart pounding in my ears I could hear :smile: but whatever it was, it was exciting :smile: I held my head up, and walked down to my local park. I couldnt see anyone there, so I proceeded to start walking around it and on through some more of the neighbourhood. After 15 minutes of walking, my feet began to ache and the balls of my feet started to burn (note to self, buy some party feet), so I turned back. By the time I was back home, I was walking as confidently as any girl in heels and thoroughly enjoying it. I think what does it for me is the extra confidence and sensuality that wearing heels inspires, and the click click noise as you walk down the street. One thing that annoyed me though was the rate that the heel tips were wearing down. So, since a lot of my enjoyment of heels is the sound, I ordered some metal tips to replace the plastic ones. When they arrive in a couple of days, I will certainly be going for another midnight walk, and hopefully starting out with a lot more confidence! I have to say a big thank you to all you guys on here who have inspired me to take this big step forward, in particular (but not exclusively) JeffB and his well documented jaunts :smile:

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your first outing! I know exactly what you mean about the heel tips wearing down. They appear to vanish more with every footstep but believe me that they're not going to wear away from walking just a few hours. Even my smallest heel tips have lasted several hour+ long outings and are only half-way gone. Some of the wear is also down to the weight you apply on the heel while walking. As you gain strength in your muscles to maintain your weight on your toes, you'll notice heel tips start to wear less over time while feeling more comfortable too! Party feet or foam insoles are essential for your first few times out. With boots, add socks and tights too to help increase padding too. Your feet will burn like crazy until you get used to the harder surface and walking longer distances between breaks. Good luck, keep us updated and congratulations again! Chris

Well done shyheelguy, keep that feeling going and congrats on the venture out!

... As you gain strength in your muscles to maintain your weight on your toes, you'll notice heel tips start to wear less over time while feeling more comfortable too!

^ This... As you get more experienced, you shouldn't be wearing down the heel quite that fast, I am betting that you are putting a lot more pressure on the heels and perhaps even dragging them a bit as you walk. Eventually you will learn to balance the weight distribution and step more evenly as you walk. Cushioning for the toe box will help as well until your feet are more accustomed to it, as I am sure with the balls of your feet burning as you described, you were desperately trying to avoid putting too much weight on front of the foot.

You might also want to try heels a bit less extreme than the 6" boots for a few trips out until you are feeling confident in heels for longer walks. I myself after several years of public heeling, still stay within the 4"-5" range almost every time. Its just more practical and comfortable, and why torture yourself? It might seem more exciting to accomplish 6"+ for long walks, but I guess for me comfort wins out over anything else.

The boots are 6" with a 2" platform, so Im effectively feeling a 4" heel so its not all that bad. I have fairly muscular legs anyway from being an avid mountain biker, so holding my weight on the toe box isnt such a problem for me (other than the burning balls of my feet which the party feet should help reduce). Anyway, the metal tips should solve the problem of the tips wearing down prematurely for now :irked: I will hopefully be going for another wander around tonight, and hopefully get a little further! Thanks for the replies chaps!

Well done and as all have said with practice the heel tip will last longer with good balance and less scuffing. So was it good "Defying Gravity" for a while? Al

I would say that most of us have been through similar activities under the cover of night, surrounded by vegetation, tall fences, or the seclusion of just being totally alone somewhere. In high school I had a 6 am class that gave me the opportunity to heel in the dark and then change into my regular shoes before reaching class. I had to pace myself to keep from being discovered by my classmates. Had a few close calls of becoming the day's topic of alternative fashions, but I was never exposed. Now that I look back on it, this success was actually prolonging the agony of keeping the status quo. Dumb me!

I for one do not condone the under cover of darkness for heeling. As others have mentioned it's probably not that safe, especially in urban enviroments. Back when I first got into heels, walking outside at night would amount to nothing more that extended private wearing. It really did nothing for me that I did not already experience wearing them in the house. I knew early on that if I really wanted to know what wearing heels was really like that I would have to wear them out in public. I also knew that if I was going to pull it off I had to look like I belonged in heels. There are two keys to this. One is to become fashion aware and the other is to be engaging with people. While this may seem difficult it really isn't. It actually came easy for me once I put on my heels and stepped out in public. Once your out in heels, relax. The confidence that comes from wearing heels strikes like a bolt from the blue.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted, you're absolutely right. It's not "normal" for a guy to go walking in a park at 3 am (much less in heels!) and that in itself could create more trouble than it's worth. In an urban park, you run the risk of getting mugged and beaten up, especially if it's by a gang who's homophobic. That's if a police officer doesn't catch you first (most parks are closed after a certain time). It's a risky proposition to go out alone at night. Suppose you fall because of your new heels and break an ankle? Hope you have a cell phone and a good excuse when the ambulance arrives (and maybe the reporter who hears the medics tell the dispatcher what the guy was wearing!). Instead, go to where you'll be invisible. A crowded mall or city center is best. People are too busy, wrapped up in their own thoughts and challenges, to pay any mind to a guy in heels. For example, RadioDave and I went to a mall last week, and I was amazed at how little attention he got (just once from a tween and her mother with phone cameras). Other than that, he was never noticed, much less approached by anyone else. We were in a restaurant, DSW shoe store, and a busy mall. He walked gracefully like he belonged in those shoes (wedge sandals). Well, he did belong in them. They were his, after all! Another example - JeffB. He's gone out on over 100 weekend outings, and how many photos of him have we spotted on the internet? Just one that we know of! He wears his heels with confidence and people just don't pay much attention. I hope we never hear stories on here about guys who go out alone at 3 am and get caught for suspicious behavior. The risk isn't worth it. Go public in busy places and you're much better off, from both a safety perspective and from an invisibility perspective! Steve

Well done to shyheelguy for going out. I'm sure your confidence will grow over time to the point where you will need to change your name :-). I do agree with Shafted and Steve123456789 that its better and safer to heel in a crowded place, but totally totally understand that taking your first trips outside in a place with a very low chance of somebody else being around is a much easier step to take. Personally I cannot imagine ever making the step to public heeling without going through the "lonely place" stage. It might be interesting to poll board members on how many of us went from heeling inside the house directly to wearing heels in public in a busy place. I'm willing to bet almost zero. Perhaps more realistic advice would be to wear an "in between" more androgenous shoe out in busy public places (e.g. loads of medium heeled cowboy styled boots in the shops for autumn 2011) and then progress to more dramatic styles.

It might be interesting to poll board members on how many of us went from heeling inside the house directly to wearing heels in public in a busy place. I'm willing to bet almost zero.

I think that's a great idea!

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I dont actually live in an urban area, I'm in a pretty rural area and the few thugs/chavs etc that are around hang around either by the beach (about 4 miles away) or go into town about 10 miles away, but never come round here. So its pretty safe on that front. I do aim to go to a busy public area at some point, but when you havent been out at all and dont know what to expect, it is pretty scary stuff. And I was intending on getting some mid heeled shoes along the cowboy boot line for when I go into a busy public area to blend in a little more.

And I was intending on getting some mid heeled shoes along the cowboy boot line for when I go into a busy public area to blend in a little more.

I first went public in a busy supermarket in some cowboy boots with 2.5" heels under jeans. I was petrified and pushed a shopping cart in front of me to sort of hide a bit. Of course nobody noticed or commented. After I did this a couple more times I decided to try out my 4" stiletto boots which I'd only used in the house and in "deserted car parks late at night." First I took a round in the supermarket with the cowboy boots to "warm up" my courage, then went back to the car and changed in the stilettos and went back into the supermarket. It was uneventful but I was as high as kite. That was nearly 18 months ago and it's just been fun and positive experiences since.

I dont actually live in an urban area, I'm in a pretty rural area and the few thugs/chavs etc that are around hang around either by the beach (about 4 miles away) or go into town about 10 miles away, but never come round here. So its pretty safe on that front.

I do aim to go to a busy public area at some point, but when you havent been out at all and dont know what to expect, it is pretty scary stuff.

And I was intending on getting some mid heeled shoes along the cowboy boot line for when I go into a busy public area to blend in a little more.

Sure a rural area is probably safer than an urban area late at night, but by daylight a busy cosmopolitan city seems far easier to blend into than a rural area. Thinking back over my experiences the "safety" of the cover of darkness can be a bit of an illusion really - sometimes the desire to wear heels and fear of not getting caught can mislead you into taking irrational risks. I guess what I'm trying to say is that confronting the fear of a outwardly dangerous situation can be a bit of a decoy, but confronting the inner fear of wearing heels in a safe situation can be a far more thrilling and satisfying.

I think it's quite a seasonal thing too. Summer is difficult because it doesn't get dark until so late, but I fondly recall my first ventures out of the house which were in the winter months, wrapped up in a coat, scarf and hat and clicking along in my heels at a time in the evening when it wouldn't be unexpected to see/hear someone in heels walking down the street. Back then it was all about "disguise" and going undetected, whereas now I'd enjoy it just because I love heels with winter fashion and the thrill is looking and feeling good wearing my heels and being detected in a safe environment.

If you like it, wear it.

Congratulations, ShyHeelGuy, on your first public outing. And like you, my first public outing was at night, and I was spotted by few people. But like everyone else has stated, that is not the best and safest time to heel in public. Based on my own experience, once you wear high heels in public, and wear them like this is the shoes you wear everyday in public with that confidence, the first time will be nerve-racking, scary, exciting, and fun. And you will come to see that no matter what reactions you get, everyone will move on and go about their business. Good luck to you.

Like many have pointed out here, going to a park at 3AM is more likely to get you attention you don't need, either from criminals or law enforcement. As terrifying as it may sound, a crowded shopping mall or teeming downtown streets are probably the best. You will blend into the mix of everything there is that day and people are usually too distracted and too close together to get a sweeping view of both the shoes AND the face of the wearer to really make an association. Even when they do what will happen?? I'm amazed the tween and mother had time to snap photos, maybe they were just people watching and maybe they're just narrow-minded trailer trash with nothing better to do, either way they're irrelevant as the experience was overwhelmingly positive as it is for scores of members here. Don't ever forget that one common denominator which is CONFIDENCE. The person that wears the badge of confidence is a formidable force that tends to command respect and inspires others to do things they once thought impossible. HappyinHeels:wavey:

True, and I'll add that just snapping pics of us doesn't imply disapproval. It's just something different in their experience and worth capturing in photos. They might have disliked the look or liked it. We don't know. Steve

I first went public in a busy supermarket in some cowboy boots with 2.5" heels under jeans. I was petrified and pushed a shopping cart in front of me to sort of hide a bit. Of course nobody noticed or commented. After I did this a couple more times I decided to try out my 4" stiletto boots which I'd only used in the house and in "deserted car parks late at night." First I took a round in the supermarket with the cowboy boots to "warm up" my courage, then went back to the car and changed in the stilettos and went back into the supermarket. It was uneventful but I was as high as kite. That was nearly 18 months ago and it's just been fun and positive experiences since.

Hi Walkonit:

I bought the attached boots at DSW in the womens section. They have a 3 inch plus heel and I removed the little belt - to make them more like guys with a higher heel. I wear them all the time now. My wife was a little nervous at first and now she has accepted them as my norm. I also wear them on my Harley and now have the tan and dark burgandy color.

They are very light and very comfortable. I have other boots - but have not worn the spike heels by myself in public. I have worn my 5 1'2" spike heeled boots to the latest Canton Heel meet we had in June. That was awesome.

Have fun!

Bernheels

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/New%20Boots/DSC03778Small-1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/New%20Boots/DSC03777Small.jpg

Interesting thread this, certainly takes me back some memories when i was about 16. I used to live with my dad and he used to work quite a lot so i often had the house to myself, which was great, out came my heels and I used to wear them a lot, but the fact that i couldnt walk much further than about 7 metres in any one straight line, and was missing the essential experience of the sound of heeltips on concrete etc, my desires burned to wear heels outside. At this stage I did what you did ShyHeelGuy and set my alarm for 3am and went for a walk around the block in heels. It was the only answer and back then there wasnt much internet availability in every home so finding places like this board for support were out of the question, I was on my own with this one and didnt dare tell anyone. Looking back it was a bit ludicrous in one respect, anyone could have heard my loud heels on the concrete with their window open and had a peek and what a silly hour to get up to do it, but thats what happens when your desires overrule you and you dont dare do the alternatives. In the dark though i doubt they would have recognised me much. As for police, they were the last thing on my mind and wouldnt see them as a problem. I would have politely informed them that i like to wear heels and am afraid to do it in public in the daylight so the only time i dare is at night when noone else is watching. This board and a few very good people gave me the willpower to wear heels in the daylight. London is a great place to wear heels as is Manchester on a night out, noone cares and the feeling is brilliant, much better than alone in the dead of night. ShyHeelGuy I would encourage you to tell your gf if you believe she would be ok about it. I have found in the past wearing heels with a gf is a great confidence boost, it avoids the thought that you wearing heels because you are gay and also is a case if if your gf doesnt mind why should others care. I certainly used to feel a lot better about it than wearing heels on my own. NL