Are You Gay or something?

chip7X

Sorry, but I use black, purple, royal blue, and pink every day. People should not be discriminated against because of the colours they use. That's just taking things a bit TOO far.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pink does tend to be a little feminine...but it depends how its used, if its a nice light pink dress shirt then it wont be offensive, but if you start wearing pink halter tops or shiny pink ruffled shirts that look like you were just at a ricky martin concert i think people will assume your gay pretty quickly

There we go!!! That's what I wanted to say about pink. It seems to be a feminine color to me, as dark colors are concretive in my opinion.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hey, thanks for the warning, I was thinking about repainting my old convertible Cadilac in pink. Would people have thought I was guy driving around in it?

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

On 2002-03-21 02:00, hoverfly wrote:

I don't know how people feel about purple in the Midlands, but I wear purple shirts, I own three cars, two of them dark purple (Neon and 240sx).

I'm based in the Midlands, and I've never had any comments about purple. In fact, I'm known throughout my company for being heavily into purple. No-one's ever assumed I'm gay.

I've always wanted a purple car, tho'. You're lucky :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

what colours are not "girl colours" ?

Like we keep saying in various places, girls get to wear what they want, and guys don't. I've never seen a colour that women wouldn't wear just because of the colour.

Perhaps we need a 'pinkplace.org' to work on colour equality :smile: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

what's wrong with pink? I admit that I used to own a pink shirt. Has been worn a few times with no comment, but then it didn't stay in my wardrobe for long. My sister nicked it along with the mint green one. I don't think there are any non-girl colours as all colours have been worn by both genders for many years. It's the colour association with gender that clouds most people's ideas on which colours are best suited to certain applications. While we still view colours as male and female then another stereotype will remain in place. I don't wear pink anymore as it doesn't really suit me, but as a bright contrast to something else I'm wearing then it can be quite effective.

On 2002-03-21 02:21, Firefox wrote:

So if pink is not a "guy colour", what colours are not "girl colours" B) ?

I don't see colors as identification of sex. I see colors as identification of personality. I should halved made that clearer before. I see feminine as a attitude and/or behavior of either sex. So in my masculine attitude, you won't ever see me in pink. Even if hell froze over!!! :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

There really shouldn't be any such thing as gender specific colours, and certainly there isn't a non girl colour And anyway, if pink is a non guy colour, unless you are gay, then there must be a lot of gay businessmen around, as pink seems to popular among them (has been for a while), so what does that say about business B) I think the whole thing is just so much tosh :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

The faceless designers and retail clothes buyers seem to have decided that men only desire clothes in a very limited range of mainly dark colours, eg beige, blue, grey (at least 20 shades) black, whilst women get to choose from all over the spectrum. This year pastels are in for women but not for men. I just choose from either side of the store as I see fit. As Trolldog says "clothing has no gender" It is merely our perception of it.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I tend to choose from both sides too, oddly enough though, today i was wearing black (albeit a trouser suit from LTS)

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

On 2002-03-22 22:25, Trolldeg wrote:

Trolldog...? woof woof!! =D

Whoops sorry about the typo Trolldeg. Brain says one thing, fingers do another thang.

Oh well, another post nearer some new shoes.

Calv

Bob Last sunday I went over to have lunch with mum and my sister. Thinking later, everything I was wearing was designed for women. Black Next bootcut jeans, a womans top underneath a black cotton poloneck jumber and a pair of kneehigh opaque socks and a pair of loafers. I like polo neck jumpers but always wear womens as they are shorter. I dislike ones that are too long.

Calv

I prefer not to think of it as cross dressing as I try not to look like anything other than a bloke :eek: Since I don't get any odd looks it must work :smile:

Well, I it might have been said before. Anyhow, since when does style, colour make a person male or female. In sociology it is the society who tell us in different ways what should be male and female. Perhaps its only when we can act without the society in mind we will truly be free. As I know by my self, it is easy to be conscious about it, but it is a lot harder to be free from the norms and values that the society sets. My wish is that everyone could be as free as possible without the norms and values that the society sets. At least when it comes to clothing. And where does all this change and how is a complete another story.

I don't think what Calvin wore needs a separate x-dress topic. I've seen Calvin and although his clothes maybe come from the ladies department, you couldn't tell it. He still looked anything but masculine. IMHO real x-dressing involves wearing clothing to look and pass as a girl, not unisex type clothing that fits and feels better on some guys, but only happens to be sold on the girls racks.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Thanks for the message of support HiLuc. That is exactly what I meant in my post. I happen to enjoy the feel of finer cut clothes and see no reason why 60% or more of the clothes on sale should be beyond my enjoyment.

Calv

On 2002-03-23 11:46, Firefox wrote:

Time to start a x-dressing thread I think, we're getting a little far off the mark here :smile:

Firefox

I dont think we're getting off the mark of the subject. I was using the example of the clothes I was wearing to show that it is possible to wear clothes from the feminine side in a masculine manner. I do not consider that as cross dressing. A term I have seen on another board is "mixed dressing" which sums it up quite nicely I think.

Calv

Haha, thought you would come back on that :smile: Feel free, X-dressing, mixed dresing whatever you would like to call it. I think it deserves a separate thread anyway. If you don't start it I will, but I start too many threads.

OK Firefox, Gauntlet firmly caught after you threw it down. I'll start a new thread and see what response we get. That will be the second new thread tonight. :smile: Am I a cross dresser? - sitting here tonight wearing a pair of 5" wedge sandals, black tights, a leather skirt and silky blouse. Simon and Garfunkel on the CD player and pint of Guinness to hand.

Calv

Unless we saw a pic of the items in question, the mind would wander and want to say 'yes', but again it depends on what the overall style is. I figure it like so many others have - it's CLOTHES for crying out loud. Does it matter which side of this self-imposed 'fence' they come from??? Life is WAY too short - ENJOY IT!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

On 2002-03-25 00:25, ShockQueen wrote:

I figure it like so many others have - it's CLOTHES for crying out loud. Does it matter which side of this self-imposed 'fence' they come from???

No it does not matter in my book.

Calv

• 1 year later...

Firefox said he'd never seen Julian Clary in anything but flats and Doc Martins, despite his generally camp clothes and make-up. Similarly, I've never seen Boy George in high heels either. Has anyone else? Whereas self-confessed Transvestite celebrities such as Eddy Izzard do go for heel-wearing, and so do drag artistes like Lily Savage and Danny La Rue, demonstrating that TVs and drag queens place importance on high heels, as opposed to gays who very often don't. I wonder if Anita C. (the lawyer and lounge singer) could comment on this from personal experience? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!