Out shopping with my heels on show.

CRabbit

I posted a little prelude to this outing earlier today however please forgive me because I just have to share my little adventure today! [[ If you read my blog post, please skip this little section ]] I had decided to take a few hours out after work and go shopping at a retail park far enough away from home to have almost no chance of anyone knowing me while I was out there. This level of security gave me the courage to wear my heels while shopping and a friend of mine insisted that I stop wearing the block-heel boots and hiding them under long baggy jeans and instead go for a slightly shorter boot-cut light blue jeans with the oxford-style shoeboots that I dearly love, meaning my stiletto heels would clearly be on show! So I arrived at the retail park at around 5:30 and took until 6pm to get out of the car. I was very scared but couldn't sit in my car all night and eventually started walking. First store - Boots (UK super-pharmacy), I needed a drink before starting my little shoe-shopping spree. Within 3 steps of entering the building my foot slipped from under me on the polished marble floor and I almost went down right away. Thankfully, no-one noticed (or I didn't see anyone who did notice), I gathered my composure and took my steps a lot more carefully. I'd not worn Stilettos on a polished surface before so this was partly my own fault though I got to grips with it quick enough. After checking out several high street fashion stores and trying on a dozen or so pairs of shoes between different stores, I eventually decided I didn't like any of the boots or shoes enough to make a purchase, however I did get some great comments from other shoppers such as "Those look cute" or "Where abouts are they? I'd love to try them." Even the staff were nice, kind and always helpful though a couple raised an eyebrow at first. Negatives - there were a couple of young kids (no older than 10) running around one store and they continually stared at me as I went about my business which was just a little off-putting, and several boyfriends/partners of girls who inclined to smile or speak to me as I was trying on several styles seemed a little uneasy about me being near their wives/girlfriends or talking with them. There was also an older gent stood at the door to one store with walking stick in hand. He saw me from a distance heading his way and didn't stop looking at me until I'd entered the store and disappeared behind the racks and was still scowling at me as I left 10minutes later. All in all, I really really enjoyed my hour or two out shopping in my heels. I'm going to do it again and soon! Perhaps not the shoeboots next time but we'll see. Thanks for reading - I just wanted to share. Chris

Hmm, I do sense the "If I don't have the guts to wear them, why should he."

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Great respect for you and your outing, I went out shopping in Birmingham on Thursday. Spent nearly five hours walking around in my 4 inch boots with very little comment but I did have long jeans on with them. Had a great sales assistant In New look help me find two new pairs of five inch stilettos. She spent at least ten minutes with me after she asked if she could help me (standard question I get asked when alone looking at ladies shoes) I told her I was browsing for sone killer heels and pulled up a trouser leg to reveal my boots. She was great and seemed very happy to to assist me with my mission. I bought two pairs, I will post some pictures next week. Must have took guts for you to wear exposed stilettos, ignore the negative looks and carry on doing what you enjoy.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Nice one CRabbit... I'm glad you didn't stay in your car all night, and it sounds like you're all the better for it too. :irked:

You say "Perhaps not the shoeboots next time" so does that mean you felt less confident in those than with the block-heels and baggy jeans? It's the opposite for me, I'd feel more confident with a sharper coordinated look, to the point that I wouldn't enjoy heel-shopping in sloppy guy clothes. Do you think the sales assistants would have been as enthusiastic if you were in your block-heels and baggy jeans?

If you like it, wear it.

Hi folks, Thanks for the warm replies. I came away from that wonderful experience wishing I could do it again the following day. I'm certainly not going to wait around in my car for over an hour next time. I'm actually considering a pair of pumps next time instead of the shoeboots as the heel on the shoeboots moves around a little too much to feel in control when on slippery surfaces. Plus pumps are easier to slip on and off where as the laces on the shoeboots require a little more time when I'm trying on. I don't think I'm ever going back to the block-heeled boots unless it's a coordinated outfit, and certainly not if I'm going to be trying on new shoes - there's a mile of laces on those boots! Thanks again, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I would also say try a pair of pumps next time. The higher and more exposed the heel, the more quickly you will get over wearing them in public.

The reactions you get to a higher-heeled, sleek pump will help you gage the reactions you get toward future outings.

Great story! Well done for going out, i know what its like sat in the car trying to make yourself get out lol. Been there got that Tshirt mant times. London is a great place to shoe shop as im sure others on here will agree. The shops are used to men trying heels on and its quite a fun experience as everyone else is so busy going about their business to care. Hope you do get out and about again soon NL

CRabbit, Thanks so much for sharing that adventure with us!! Whether it's on the other side of "the pond" as we affectionately call the Atlantic Ocean or in the Americas I think your experience typifies what most can expect. You will get noticed, very few will say anything or those that do will say something positive. Be yourself, wear what you want, and show the world your style!! HappyinHeels:wavey: