Cobblestones

wolf

I'm looking forward to visiting Rome within the next two years so I shall look forward to heel friendly cobbles, be it mine or watching the natives. Having met the Portuguese cobbles witch are "flat" but so poorly maintained, they are not even flats friendly! I'm sure the people of Rome will demand the upkeep. Al

Having worn high heels on the cobbled streets of Rome, I did not find it anywhere near as difficult as others have eluded to. The worst part of Romes streets are not the cobbles but the ramps that go from the sidewalk to the street where the pedestrian crossings are. They are downright slick when wet.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted, You're right about wet cobblestones being slippery. My wife and I spent three days in Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais, Brasil back in November and it showered two of those days which made the footing risky. The streets there are notoriously steep (20-25% grades are common and there is one that is an astounding 49%) and all are cobblestone. I didn't see many heels there but there were some, only during the dry times. Alsheels, I think what you said had to be tongue-in-cheek, right?? Great food, excellent wine, and beautiful scenery. But infrastructure maintenance and Italy don't usually go in the same phrase. They'll get to when they get to it which could be a long while. HappyinHeels:wavey:

Happyinheels Not tongue in cheek as I've not got to Rome yet to comment, certainly parts of Portugal is very poorly maitained Al

I actually admire cobblestone street construction. The stones are completely reusable. When the street has to be torn up for infrastructure work the stones are carefully removed the work is done and the stones are put back into place. When done you would never know that work had been recently done.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Having never actually encountered a cobblestone pavement while in heels this thread spurred me to find a location somewhere near my client's offices and see exactly what the challenge was for myself. I found such a location this morning just outside a small woodland near the business estate. Naturally, my calves now burn, my ankles feel like they've been turned inside out and the balls of my feet are building blisters as I type this - all from a 10minute slow walk. I don't think I'll be returning to that location until it is re-done in paving slabs. Now I understand why your so excited Wolf! Chris

Having never actually encountered a cobblestone pavement while in heels this thread spurred me to find a location somewhere near my client's offices and see exactly what the challenge was for myself. I found such a location this morning just outside a small woodland near the business estate.

Naturally, my calves now burn, my ankles feel like they've been turned inside out and the balls of my feet are building blisters as I type this - all from a 10minute slow walk. I don't think I'll be returning to that location until it is re-done in paving slabs.

Now I understand why your so excited Wolf!

Chris

I just recently walked on a cobblestone street in the "Old Towne" part of our city. Though not quite much harm to me as to you, I did find it a challenge to walk there.