What causes you most problems when you are walking in heels?

Dollybird

Which of these has caused you the most problems?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these has caused you the most problems?

• Stairs/Steps
    • Uneven/Cracked/Broken Pavements
    • Going down steep hills/ramps
    • Caught heels (in gratings or cracks)
    • Cobbled Streets
    • Other

Stuck heels? As in stuck in a crack on the sidewalk?

Just about anywhere you can get a heel stuck.

The damage dosent bother me that much anymore as im a skilled master in the art of damaging my heel's. So i just bring them to my cobler and he makes them look like new again. Mostly he just replaces the heel's wich i like. I have a unwritten contract with him that when he replaces the heel's i just pay 9£ wich works very well for me.

• 1 month later...

I have problems when my heel gets suck in a crack or grate and I walk out of the shoe and have to go back and retrieve it. Embarassing! I also hate having to walk in gravel because I'm afraid it's going to ruin my heels so I have to stay on my tippy toes. I hate trying to walk in sand or mud, what a mess!

any were my stilettos can get stuck in,like cracks,sewer grates,deck boards,tar.

I have problems when my heel gets suck in a crack or grate and I walk out of the shoe and have to go back and retrieve it. Embarassing!

I also hate having to walk in gravel because I'm afraid it's going to ruin my heels so I have to stay on my tippy toes. I hate trying to walk in sand or mud, what a mess!

i really hate mud also

Tina, We have what is known as a black clay where I live. The more you walk in it, the taller and heavier you become. Horrible stuff to get off your shoes, your better off throwing away your shoes than trying to get the stuff off. Heater vents in my boyfriend's house have messed up a few heels. I shrug when I feel my heel slip down.

• 1 month later...

I did a lot of partying over the holidays, between Christmas to new years day. After a bit of dancing and some alcohol induced intoxication, I see so many girls end up barefoot because they are no longer able to handle their high heel slippers. Strangely enough, I felt proud that I was able to keep my high heel boots on for the entire party. LOL

I hate the deck boards. Nothing better than walkin' as a sexy catwoman in heels around a swimming pool...but....some swimming pool's designers are my enemies :smile: ..they are against me !!!!!

Elegance is my second name

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna put slopes as my most troublesome having encountered quite a few unexpectedly in just the last week alone! The annoying thing is if your feet are practically vertical anyhow in a pair of spiky heels the slope doesn't have to be that steep to making walking down normally practically impossible....if in pumps or mules I'd take off otherwisev just bend my legs a bit, which looks really odd in itself! Anyone else any other ideas?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With my spikiest heels I have to make sure I dont put weight on my heel on escalators but I suppose wet cobbles are the scariest in any heel. Cobbles make the sole slip , so its not just the heel height - but hey its worth the sacrifice for fashion.

I voted "steep hills and ramps". Steps, grates and broken pavement are everyday hazards that I can negotiate without looking too weird. But going down steep ramps and hills kill me when wearing anything over a three inch heel. Higher than three inches and I can only imagine what I look like walking!! My solution: take the steps (if available)!

It's about Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of New Shoes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I empathise with the destruction above - I seem to do that mostly on expensive boots :-< What seems to cause me most problems is stairs. Going up them whilst wearing a long coat/skirt I have to be very careful not to stand on them. Going down them I seem to have a very nasty habit of catching my heel in the hem, and really getting it stuck in there !! I nearly broke my neck coming down stairs a couple of weeks ago when my boot heel got well and truly snagged in the hem of my flared skirt. Had I not had a good hold of the handrail I'd have made bits of myself.

http://www.elegantsteps.co.uk/products/SoleMates-High-Heeler-Stiletto-Heel-Stoppers-%26-Protectors-.html

For those who mentioned grass and grates as problems I saw these in the Guardian Magazine. I can't imagine that you'd want to wear them all the time as they look a bit strange, but it seems like they pop on and off fairly easily and could be worth keeping in your bag for difficult moments.

I often have some similar in my handbag, they're available at most dance shops. However I often only seem to be able to find one when I really need them. Ideal for impromptu visits to places with posh flooring.

http://www.elegantsteps.co.uk/products/SoleMates-High-Heeler-Stiletto-Heel-Stoppers-%26-Protectors-.html

For those who mentioned grass and grates as problems I saw these in the Guardian Magazine. I can't imagine that you'd want to wear them all the time as they look a bit strange, but it seems like they pop on and off fairly easily and could be worth keeping in your bag for difficult moments.

Portrero hill can also cause problems as I learned just recently.

• 4 weeks later...

oh ..the leather got damaged..it happens to me too when i drive

Those scrapes were nothing to do with driving. I would never drive in heels anyway. Since almost having a bad accident, I wear flats in the car. I keep them under the seat. Actually the only flats I have left live under car seats.

Those scrapes were nothing to do with driving. I would never drive in heels anyway. Since almost having a bad accident, I wear flats in the car. I keep them under the seat. Actually the only flats I have left live under car seats.

you can drive in heels , i often drive in my boots with 4 to 5 inches heels. All you have to do is raise your seat higher and slide back, so you can have more legs room. Depends on your model of your car. My bmw x5 allows me to do that. Also , you can also put a nice fur or leather mat/rug on the floor, so when you piviot your heels on the pedals, they won't get damaged.

Just let you know i have yahoo messenger and facebook. Feel free to add me.

Boot me up, Boot me down

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your offer Alicia,

I'm not a Facebooker....Not planning to be either but I do have a Yahoo account

x

Just let you know i have yahoo messenger and facebook. Feel free to add me.

I agree with most of you. Walking on downtown streets and getting my heels caught in cracks and grates drives me crazy and makes me mad. Scratches your heels all to pieces and wrecks the heel tips. Note to the mayor ,fix our sidewalks.

Cobblestones in very high heels is not easy to walk on, it´s very wobbly to walk in 15cm+ pumps on that surface. I have done that some times, and lost my balance twice, luckily without injurys:) Pernilla

Trying to learn walking in superhigh stilettoheels

I agree with most of you. Walking on downtown streets and getting my heels caught in cracks and grates drives me crazy and makes me mad. Scratches your heels all to pieces and wrecks the heel tips. Note to the mayor ,fix our sidewalks.

you gotta becareful what you walk...i never wanna break my heels in the crack

Thanks for your offer Alicia,

I'm not a Facebooker....Not planning to be either but I do have a Yahoo account

x

what is your yahoo account then? you can pm me if you want

Boot me up, Boot me down

• 2 weeks later...

I tried pming you and was confronted by this message:

"The member alicia cannot receive any new messages"

i don't know what happen, but i already messaged you or you can check my profile too

Boot me up, Boot me down

I did a lot of partying over the holidays, between Christmas to new years day. After a bit of dancing and some alcohol induced intoxication, I see so many girls end up barefoot because they are no longer able to handle their high heel slippers.

Strangely enough, I felt proud that I was able to keep my high heel boots on for the entire party. LOL

You hit the nail on the head and have summed up my experiences very well. I too can be in my shoe all evening and then some. I usually use crutches that are custome made for my height and not adjustable.If I slip out of my shoe my crutches would be too long.

E

• 4 weeks later...

With my spikiest heels I have to make sure I dont put weight on my heel on escalators but I suppose wet cobbles are the scariest in any heel. Cobbles make the sole slip , so its not just the heel height - but hey its worth the sacrifice for fashion.

Hi debbie

I ageee with you wet cobbles are scariest! Especially with all the rainy weather we've been having even in summer here in England. Lethal!!

Louise x