Columbus, Ohio, Walk A Mile Event

Steve63130

On Saturday June 18, 2011, there was a Walk a Mile in Her Shoes fundraiser event for Gracehaven, a shelter for sexually abused children, at the Tuttle Crossing Mall on the west side of Columbus, Ohio. Weird1 and Mrs. Weird1, my wife and I, and Spikesmike were there. There may have been others from HHPlace, but that's all I know of. Weird1 and I had prearranged to meet around 4 pm or so at the food court at the mall, and we did. We talked and got acquainted and hit it off really well. His wife is extremely supportive of his heeling and she's a shoe fanatic herself, so he's a lucky guy. The event started at 6:30, so we went over to the starting place, where they had oodles of mostly large size women's shoes of every color and description, from (ugh) flip-flops to very high stripper plats. The Weird1s and I of course had brought our own shoes, and my wife, who is recovering from a broken foot and surgery in March, wore sneakers. We didn't encounter Spikesmike until near the end of the walk. Since the weather was inclement, they arranged to have the walk indoors, which was really a better venue, as it turned out. All the walkers got red t-shirts that said "I walked a mile in her shoes" with a silhouette of a high heel pump on it, and the logos of the major sponsors on the back. I was expecting 25-50 walkers, but this was a huge crowd - maybe 400-500 walkers! It was very impressive to see the sea of red shirts and guys, mostly in shorts, wearing high heels. Most of course stuggled to walk in them, but they persevered. The walk covered two laps, one of the upper level and one of the lower level of the mall. There were a lot of women walking, too. I'd say the mix was 50-50 men and women. At the end of the walk, there was a massage table and a table of adhesive bandages for those who needed either. The Weird1s both wore platform stiletto sandals and both painted their toes a bright metallic blue, which got a lot of notice from the crowd! I wore more conservative 3" Naturalizer Vitality pumps (google it). Spikesmike wore red patent 6" stiletto boots with spurs that tinkled as he walked. He was quite a hit! All of us were in long pants or jeans. Before the walk started, I had my shoes off and was rubbing a spot on my left foot, when one of the volunteer workers came over and suggested that maybe my shoes didn't fit right and I should go over to the tables and pick a better fitting pair. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her, no, these were my own shoes, and they fit just fine, thanks. Weird1, sitting next to me, said his shoes were his own, too! She said, "Whatever!" and walked away! Another funny story. While we were walking, we passed one of the female walkers who had on a pair of Payless Kline stiletto sandals. I pointed them out to Weird1 and said that I have a pair of those and they're really comfortable. He replied that he had owned a pair of them, too, and tossed them out because they were NOT comfortable! HA HA After the walk, which took only about a half hour or so, the five of us went over to PF Chang's oriental restaurant just north of the mall, and had a nice dinner. All in all, it was a lot of fun to get out in heels, wear them proudly, get noticed, do it for a good cause, and meet some friends we didn't know before. If there is a Walk a Mile event in your area, by all means participate! Attached is a photo of Weird1 with his foot in his wife's lap, and she's tying his shoe on him. You can see their brightly painted matching toes! Steve

post-19919-133522945298_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a nice outing! I'm surprised there were so many folks turning out. I can't help but wonder if there were a few who were there just so they could wear heels :). I'm sure Spikesmike's heels got some attention! Nice heels and nail polish on Mr. And Mrs. Weird1 :).

I was there. Can't say that I saw you, but as you said there were a lot of people there. I did see Spikesmike. My wife got a photo of his shoes. I was the one in a kilt and a pair of peeptoe stillettos. This my third walk and the best one by far.

Wow! Four hundred to five hundred walkers? That is amazing and a great ribute to this event. Obviously it is catching on as it continues to move from place to place. The event I walked in last year had over one hundred walkers in it and I was impressed with that.

well like steve said,

it was a wonderful time, i wish i was there right now to do it all over again!

it was nice to meet our new friends Steve63130 and Spikesmike ! hope to see you guys again soon.

wetwillie, we saw you but didn't know it was you, you were standing about 15' from us before the start.

im waiting to see my blue toes they had alot of camera action:smile:

here are a couple of links to some of the pictures from the event

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2145187634949.2132448.1404016199&l=461587f78a

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150216558509584.320805.43754199583

Larry

• 3 weeks later...