Well, it’s a start……

TXGuy

Way to go, TXguy! You handled yourself very admirably. Keep in mind that people noticing doesn't mean people disapproving. It just means that seeing a guy in heeled boots is not something common (yet), so they stare a little longer because it's so unusual. Even if they frown, it doesn't mean disapproval; it could simply be that they are confused. Their brain has a pigeonhole for "men in men's shoes" and another one for "women in women's shoes," and probably a third one (small) for "women in men's shoes" (or at least men's style shoes). But there is no pigeonhole for "men in women's shoes," so it takes a while for their head to wrap around that idea. Think of yourself as a teacher. :unsure: Steve

I have recently been bolder in public with heels, buying heels with heels on, pumping gas with heels on, and yesterday buying a sandwich with heels on. In the sandwich shop, Cappriotti's, three women were sitting by the register waiting for their sandwiches and out of the corner of my eye I saw one of them notice my black high heel sandals under my blue jeans and my shimmering pink toenails. I could see her gesturing to her friends "look". They didn't say anything and I preceded on my merry way. I must admit it was a bit of a rush! Before that on my lunch hour I finished my third heel shopping experience wearing heels. It was much less stressful than prior journeys. I walked in to DSW wearing 5" black peep-toe platform pumps and the store was moderately busy. I went straight to the wedge sandals and fairly calmly tried on a pair, comfortable but no wow. I then moved to another aisle to look at another pair right beside a saleswoman and a female, they didn't seem to notice. Next to the discount rack and tried on several pairs until I found a 4" black Anne Klein Sport wedge sandal that was very comfortable and sexy. I grabbed them and walked to the pump section whereupon a saleswoman passed by and asked if I need any help. I said thanks but no thanks. I tried on a few more pairs sometimes with female customers close by. I was browsing another aisle and a saleswoman asked if I was ready to check out and I said yes. She accompanied me to the register and processed the transaction. She told me she can't walk very well in heels and doesn't wear them. I told her this pair feels very comfortable. She wished me a good day. I felt great and emboldened. Walked to the car passing a male landscaper, I am sure he saw me but I just ignored him. Next stop, Sephora for toenail polish in new wedges-help there was nice. No funny looks etc. Next stop Total Wine, I felt great walking in those heels. I don't think anyone noticed! It was a great day, can't wait til next time!!

• Like 3

I felt great walking in those heels. I don't think anyone noticed!

Soon that statement will be an expression real disapointment.

Congratulations - sounds like there is a new heeler out and about.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 8 months later...

Figuring that there were some good deals out there after Christmas, I hit a nearby outlet mall to browse for some boots and see what I could turn up. I went into the Nine West store first, and while there may have been one or two boots I would have tried on, they didn’t have my size. I might be able to squeeze into a 10, but most of the time, it’s 11. But they didn’t have much larger than 9… I went into the ALDO store next. Walked in and said Hi to the sales Girl, she said Good Morning and to let her know if I need any help. Started looking over the boot selection. I saw style that I have seen online that I like, a wedge boot named Elumina. I liked it more in person. Kept on browsing bit more, seeing a black wedge bootie in the back of the store in the clearance rack that I found interesting. ALDO Phiinmena. Went back up to look at the first pair and was looking for a box to see what sizes they had available. Was just realizing that they did not have any boxes out when the sales girl came up behind me and asked me if I like the pair and would I like to see a size. Before, I would usually chicken out and say I was looking for something for my wife, etc. But this time I just came out and told her, that actually, I was looking for myself and asked if they had the Cognac in a size 11. She was surprised a bit, but was really cool with it. She went in the back to check. Unfortunately, she returned that size 9 was the largest they had. I thanked her and started to leave, thinking to ask her the largest size that she had in the black, but that was a size 10. I browsed through a bunch of other stores. Being disappointed that there really wasn’t much of a good boot selection out. And decided to go back to ALDO’s and check out the booties I saw. The sales girl looked surprised to see me again, but I asked her to see the other shoe that matched the bootie I saw on the clearance rack. By this time there were two other guys and two women in the store. But when she brought out the box with the other shoe on, I steeled my nerves and said I had to try the shoes on. So promptly put them on, wondering where the guys were and if they were watching. After I had the booties on and tried walking around a bit, I forgot about the other guys! Looked for a mirror to look at the shoes and felt how they felt walking around in. They felt great and I decided to purchase them. Partly because the sales girl was so great. As I was talking to her that I loved the booties and I was going to take them. She started to talk about the wedge boots I was first interested in and that I could order them. Or even order them online and have them delivered to the store for free shipping. She then said that they recently resized they European to American sizing a bit and that the black Elumina in size 10 might fit. She basically talked me in to trying it on. Actually felt pretty good. She was doing a good job trying to sell another pair now that she knew I was a real buyer. So, put them on and walked around a bit. They felt great! The top part was a little tight around my calves though. I really enjoyed walking around in them. I decided not to get them though as I liked the cognac color better. Plus, even though my wife tolerates me wearing heels, she’d kill me if I bought a pair at full price. ;) She ranged them up and paid, got them for $39.99, about 60% off. As she was about to bag them up, I pushed myself a bit more and asked her if I could wear them out of the store. She was surprised again, but said yes, no problem. So I put them on, and walked out into the mall wearing a pair of high heeled wedge booties. Anybody could see I was wearing heels as I walked out to my car. I’m planning on heading back to the store when the boots go on sale. I plan on wearing my new booties when I do so.

post-3085-0-95841900-1357358159_thumb.jp

post-3085-0-13416300-1357358169_thumb.jp

Great story TXGuy. I was in the Nine West outlet store on Wednesday, night . I saw a pair of brown suede loafer pumps that I liked, but like you the biggest size was a 10 and I wear 11, so I had to pass. The sales clerk was very helpful. She checked Nine West on-line inventory but no size 11. They would of been a great buy at $14.99 from the $89.00 original price. I tried on a couple of other pairs but nothing said buy me and take me home. As I walked out the store she commented on how well I walk in heels, to which I replied that I wear heels a lot and have several pairs of Nine West heeled shoes and boots that I wear often. I also told her that my wife was ok with it too! She didn't seem to be at all surprised by my remarks. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Sounds to me like she was having as much fun as you were.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

That sounds like a really positive shopping debut TXGuy, good on you for grasping the chance and making the most of it, and thanks for sharing. It's a shame they didn't have those Elumina boots in Cognac like you wanted (I like the style with the buckles and the stacked-wedge effect). It sounds like the 10's you tried in black were pretty close to a great fit, may I ask how you tried those? If it was over trousers or tall socks you might have some scope for having them fit less tight, or perhaps you'll tone up your calves walking around in your new booties?

If you like it, wear it.

Actually, on further thinking about it, maybe “great” was not the right description. The fit around the foot felt pretty good, although a little snug. The foot part was long enough, as the front of my toes were not being crushed in. The top part of the boot was tight. Zipping them up wasn’t without some effort. Not unbearably so, but not bad for the few minutes I walked around in them. I tried them on wearing men’s dress socks, so pretty thin. So, the top part of the boot was tight right against my skin on my calves. There was no chance of fitting any jeans or pants into the boot for me. ALDO’s sizes must be changing a bit. Last year I tried on a 10 wedge pump there, and that was two short. Foot would not fit. This “10” was OK in the foot. I’d still like to try on the 11 for a comparison. I guess I should also keep track of their European sizes as well. They had the boots I purchased labeled size 11, but the European size on them is 41. But the ALDO website says that a 41 is a size 10. I didn’t check what the European size was on the boots, I just took the sales girl word at being a 10. As for my calves getting smaller, I already go to the gym, so I don’t think they will get smaller, and with using free weights, if anything they might get bigger….

• 1 month later...

Two weeks ago I made another boot/heel shopping trip out to the mall. Checked out the local woman’s shoe stores. Didn’t see much, getting very late in the season but the prices were pretty good. Didn’t see much except for in ALDO again. At first, when I asked if they had some sizes 10/11 in the back, I was confused by the Sales Ladies answer and assumed that the store did not have what I was interested in stock, so I left. Before I left the mall, I was thinking about what she had said and went back into ask. They didn’t have the size of the boot I was looking for, but she suggested and had me try on another boot. She said a friend had tried them on a few days ago and liked them. A guy friend. They fit well and felt great, but I was looking for a higher heel as these were 2.5 inches. She suggested another boot with higher heel, but these were too small, and once again suggested another boot, which did fit great, but not interested. Which is when I thought to ask if I could order the ones I really wanted. ALDO Elumina wedges boots. She checked, and said there were only 7 left in the company. So, immediately ordered them. Went in this morning to pick them up. This time it was a different person, but the person from my previous trip and remembered that I had tried on the black version of the boots I ordered, and purchased the black booties. (These are the two boots from my 1 / 4 posting.) I didn’t ask if I could try them on, I just went and put them on and walked around the store. They felt great. Pretty good fit and pretty comfortable for a heel. But I admit with the platform, the actual heel height probably isn’t that high. I was definitely taking them home. She had told me that if they were good to go, just let her know and she would box and bag them up for me. After walking around, and thinking it over, convincing myself to to do it, I told her it wasn’t necessary, I was going to wear them out. But she did box and up my regular shoes. And off I went wearing the most female boots I have worn to data, carry a HUGE ALDO white bag with the boot box through the mall on the way out. I was self conscious a bit, but most of the time, I was trying to walk just close enough to the store so see my reflection of the boots as I walked, and didn’t think about what anyone else may have been thinking. I’ll have to make a few more trips out in these boots and build up the courage. Something to look forward to. Also looking forward to the next business trip to LA, or such where I don’t have to worry about people I’m not ready to know to do a lot more walking out in public. Only real disappointment in today, is that I thought of getting my wife a pair of these boots, but they were sold out at the price I got these.

TXGUy, I have been told by Aldo staff that they did rework their sizing so that everything shouldn't feel so small compared with their competition. Aldo does have very stytlish shoes and helpful, cool staffs for sure. I bought some wedge recently at an Aldo Outlet store which turned out to my first Aldo purchase as I had never previously found anything that fit. I found some tan wedge sandals with about a 5.5" heel and walked aroud the store in them and several girls saw me and said nothing at all. I have quite used to trying on what I want and go about my business with no issues. Act and look like you belong there and you'll enjoy yourself even more! It's always good to build a rapport with sales staffs where you shop. HappyinHeels

As far as the ALDO sizing is concerned, they have changed, but I'm still not sure of the sizes. The booties I purchased were labeled size 11, but European size 41 on the inside leather. The boots I just purchased were labeled size 10, but are labeled European size 41 as well on the inside. They may just be in the process of readjusting the American size to European size. But I'm not sure if they are truly making the European sizes actually larger, or making a larger shoe in general. IE, a 42 now. I've been lucky in finding two well fitting boots now, but I am not sure they will be making all their shoes in this larger size in the future. But we will see....

TXGuy,

ALdo had gotten so many complaints about the their sizing that I think it finally filtered through to the company heads. What's curious is that, as a company started in Montreal in 1960, one would think the sizing would'nt be mushc different from other Canadian and American shoe retailers but it has been. I stopped buying buy heels on the internet about four years ago. Whether its high heels, dresses, sweaters, etc. I always buy, and try on, in-person. It's the best way to ensure a good fit and avoid returns.I went to a NineWest a week ago wearing these exact wedge sandals with bootcut jeans and very warmly greeted. I mean I'm wearing their merchandise right into the store so of course they know what I want! TRy on whatever you're looking for and, if you wear some type of heels into the store, the experience gets sooooo much better! HappyinHeels

post-3654-0-06068600-1362273935_thumb.jp

I never buy clothes online. Just too hard to return it if if doesn't fit. I just go to the store and tell them what I want. I went to aldo a few times and never bought their heels, but bought a pair of mens shoes, they hurt like hell. After that, I never wore mens shoes again Ash

I agree with trying them on in the store. The last 5 pairs, I've tried on in the store. But ALDO has had an issue that their size 11 s have seemed more like size 10s compared to other brands, so even in the store, there hasn't been much luck walking out with a pair I like. Although, I do some preplanning before going out shopping by browsing online the brand/ store I plan on visiting, and find a few heels I would love to try on, but they just don't stock them in the stores I visit. And may end up trying to order them online.

I was encouraged by the stories, so I finally ventured the nerve to go out in my painted nails and heels (two separate trips).

The other night, I was wearing a pair of sandals around the house (first picture attached) and my wife came home and mentioned that her car needed gas (my job). I went for the loafers and then thought - NOW is as good a time as any, purple toenails and all. I jumped in the car and went down to the gas station at the freeway and pulled up on the freeway side and proceeded to pump her gas. The pump receipt dispenser wasn't working and I had to go in and get a receipt. The station was packed - a few looks but no comments. I survived!!

Today I felt like wearing my newest heels home from work (second picture attached) and noticed that I needed gas as well. So, again I find a busy station and get out, fill up the vehicle, and went home. There was a guy in a Mercedes behind me and a lady and a police officer on the other side - along with the feeder traffic I deliberately parked next to. Again, a few looks - no comments - and I survived again!!

Ordered some black leather wedge boots (5 inch heel, 1 inch platform) today. Time to go out for real this time.......

Thanks guys (and gals) for all the support. Never been happier.

I really like the black sling backs - great toe cleavage. Can you tell me what brand they area and if you think they might still be available?

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! That could be a story right out of my life and I am sure others here. I can remember the same exact feelings and situations, even getting gas Or being afraid and chickening out at the last moment. Even to this day I am carefull/scared when trying on shoes. I too prefer woman For sales people. I even have my one sales person at dillards. I have told her the Shoes are for me. Even when my wife goes in she uses her. Its amazing how many of us go through the exact same thing or have the same feelings. Keep it up. Oh, I too am out of town and I stopped at DSW on the way out here. Try DILLARDS. They have some good shoes. Also try boots, not as noticeable. One other tip. Tyr going to places like walmart were you can push a buggie. Drop some Clothes in it and walk your feet off. Here is a tip. You can wear sneakers with hose, helps the shoes to slide on. Also, Undo the laces and slip them into the shoe. Then you can easily slip your sneaker On and off. One last thing. Don't do anything that will put your job at risk, after All, how will you buy more shoes.

• 7 months later...
I feel like I’ve broken through a mental barrier.  OK, maybe not all the way as some of you have, but it’s still a good step.  I’m out of town on business, so I took the opportunity to force myself to go out in heels and purchase a pair as well.  I brought a pair of black wedge 4.5 inch wedge boots with a 1 inch platform with me.  It’s very obvious I’m wearing a high heel shoe.

Last night, I put them on and wore them through a DSW looking for another pair of boots.  Looking for a pair that has more of an actual heel, not a stiletto, but not a wedge either.  I walked around for a about 20 minutes, but did not find any boots that interested me in my size.  Bummer….  I went directly across the street and walked into the mall wearing the boots.  Walked around a bit, and then into a Nine West store.  There was no one there at first, and the sales girl was in the back.  Eventually she came out and asked if I needed help, who I was shopping for, etc.  I told her I was shopping for myself.  But I did not see any boots that interested me.  She then noticed my boots, but didn’t say anything.  I looked around a bit, and picked up a basic black pump and looked at it a bit.  I chickened out of asking to try it on, but I was hoping she was going to offer to get it for me.  But she didn’t say anything.  Her loss, if she had, I was ready to say yes, and if it fit, I would have bought it.  Struck out buying boots last night.

Started out tonight walking into a Nordstrom’s Rack wearing my wedge boots, walking through the small crowds shopping.  Looked at every shoe in the 10/11 racks, no boots I was interested in.  Headed out to an upscale mall about 15 miles away.  I was going to wear the boots in, but I hadn’t been to this mall before (actually turns out I had, but over 10 years ago), and the entrance from where I parked was a long hallway.  I decided it was safer to scout our where I was going to walk first in my regular shoes.  Turns out it was a level down below the 1st floor of the mall.  I walked into the Nine West here, didn’t get a chance to talk to the lady, and I was more interested in boots.  Browsed the Macy’s and Nordstrom with no luck.  One last shot, made it to another DSW 15v minutes before it closed and looked up and down the aisles for a pair boots.  First ones I liked topped out at a size 10, and didn’t fit, too tight.  I saw another pair of brown boots that was a size 10, and actually fit pretty well. Good enough for me, I purchased them and put them on in the car.  http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+gallant+boot?prodId=285415&activeCats=cat10006,cat20173

To end the night, I wore the boots into a Barnes and Nobles and walked around for 10 minutes, then into a Subway for a late dinner.  And to top it off, I wore them into my hotel where the receptionist and everyone else can see them.  The heels aren’t that loud, but they are definitely loud enough to know someone is wearing heels.  I want to wear them out for the next few nights everywhere, I don’t want to wear any other shoes while I’m out here.  At least after work.

I also have to admit that my jeans cover up most of the boot, but it is pretty obvious that the heel is only about an inch wide, which you don’t see on many men’s shoes. And the toe part of the boot is more rounded and softer than most men’s shoes.  Definitely more than my Frye and Clarks boots.

If I had more money to spend, I’d love to go back to the Nine West wearing these boots and ask to try on those pumps.  ;)

As a final coincidence, I’m in the same hotel where I started this thread two years ago…..

That's great that you feel like you're making progress TXGuy, that sounds like some pretty cool couple of nights. Enjoy wearing your heels the next few nights and just keep going at your own pace. It sounds like those pumps are likely to tempt you back.

If you like it, wear it.

Well, proved once again that walking out in 3.5 in heels will not immediately have the entire world looking at you as something strange.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to go out heeling as much as I wanted to do two days ago.  The project I’m working on requires extra work, so I’ve been leaving the customer’s site after 10PM every day.  

But, after I got back to the hotel and had to go out and grab some food, I decided to leave my “men’s” shoes in the hotel room and wear my new boots out of the hotel.  If I didn’t bring any backups, I would have to go everywhere with the heeled boots.  I would have no choice.  I walked into a fast food restaurant that had a moderate amount of other customers at that time and no one said anything.  At least as far as I could tell.  I was nervous as hell, hearing the heel and then front part of the boot hit the floor right after at each step.  Not as loud as stiletto heels, but definitely louder than any “men’s” shoes that I have.  I don’t know if anyone else heard it and looked.  I know I would have heard the tail tell sound and look up to see what the heels looked like.  Afterwards I went into a convenience store that also had 4/5 other customer and nothing happened there either.

Since I haven’t had the chance to go out heeling, I took a bigger chance this morning.  I went down and got breakfast to bring up to my room. (I needed to do some more work…)  The room would be packed, and while they are still strangers, they are still people who definitely have high odds of seeing me again.  I’m pretty sure the girl at the front desk noticed.  I was down there about ten minutes, cooking toast, etc.  Moving around other people doing their thing.  No one said anything.  I’m pretty sure some people noticed, especially one or two of the people sitting down and eating looking my way.  From the side, you can definitely see a 1 inch wide heel on my boots, and the arch of the foot disappearing at a high angle up under the pants.  Did chit chat with a few people while we were waiting, etc.  Still nervous as hell, but I made it through it and back to my room.

Now, I’ll spend the day figuring where I should go this evening.  Trying to figure out somewhere I can go for a long walk in the middle of a bunch of people…..

Well, proved once again that walking out in 3.5 in heels will not immediately have the entire world looking at you as something strange.
....  I’m pretty sure the girl at the front desk noticed. No one said anything.  I’m pretty sure some people noticed, especially one or two of the people sitting down and eating looking my way. ...

Your going to worry yourself to death.  Your also going to miss most of the fun.  Those are great looking boots so go ahead and show them off!  Wear them over your slacks or better yet, jeans.  Wear them with confidence (as if you wear them all the time.)  You won't have to worry about people seeing them, so that's one less thing to worry about.  You will get a couple of glances to which you can reply with a polite nod.  You may even get a complement.

Take advantage of being out of town.  Go for it.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Great job guys!  It is always so frustrating to build up the courage to go boot shopping, only to find nothing of interest, or, even worse, to find great boots in sizes too small!

Nonetheless, the extra confidence developed by each outing is almost worth more than finding nice boots in your size!

Yea, I see your point.  But what can I say, I’m ooching up to your level.  Walked out of the hotel this evening wearing the boots, leaving all other shoes in the room.  Went to a restaurant, where I was seated near the bar in a 2 person table/half booth.  Basically everyone coming in the front door could look down and see my boots.  I wasn’t that nervous about it then.  Went, got gas, walked through a grocery store picking up some drinks, and then a Barnes and Noble.

Heading home tomorrow.  Really disappointed I didn’t get to get out and heal as much as I really wanted to do. I was working out at the customer site to almost 10PM every night.  Maybe next time.  ;)

Like you thread says, "It's a start".

And as you said,"Maybe next time". 

I predict you will shortly look back on this trip and wonder what all the fuss was about.  And, from someone getting older, there will only be fewer next times.  Enjoy them while you can, and as is said, "Those are good looking boots".

TBG 

• 2 years later...

It’s been a while, busy with life.  The last few days have been great.  I’m out on travel for business.  One of my favorite new pairs of heels is the Clarks Brier Milan.  I also like that they are a bootie version of a pump.  The last 4 days I have been wearing them every evening, leaving all my other shoes in the hotel so I cannot chicken out when I get where I’m going.  I am wearing a pair of boot cut jeans, which makes it pretty discrete.  There is still the sound of stiletto hitting the ground, but I’ve gotten past that as well.  I’ve walked into malls, restaurants, and by today, looking for extra places to go, such as hitting the Apple store to check out the new iPhone 6S.  I can’t wait to get back here.  I do not know if anyone has noticed, but getting out and about is building up my confidence.  I still have to get used to the stiletto heel. I’ve hit a few surfaces where the heel start to slip…..

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

• Like 2

Cute booties!  With jeans that long, no one will see them and if you are really presenting yourself with confidence, no one will notice at all.  Somehow that kind of defeats the purpose of wearing really cute booties.

I think it's about time for you to take a deep breath and get a pair of knee high boots and wear them over your jeans.  There are are number of guys, some with leggings (self included), that have been sporting this style and I can vouch for it being comfortable (really feel great), good looking, and acceptable (not one negative comment).  All you have to do is keep the confidence thing going and folks will accept the look.  Most boots on the market today are low heeled which wouldn't be noticed at all but there are some high stiletto versions available which do take more confidence and skill to wear.  Whichever is your "cup of tea", give them a try, and if you're looking for some place to go, they're great fun to try on in the store.

TBG