First time out with heels

sscotty727

I just got a new pair of heels tody (my wife got them for me) from payless (go to www.payless.com and check out Women's / Dress / Classic, and shoe Lancelot Tailored Stretch Dress which has a 2inch heel. I am about to go out shopping with them and jeans. I will let you all know how it goes! I am all excited!!!!!:lol:

Well, I made it in my first outing (family and all). I almost backed out when my 5yr old daughter looked at me and said "Daddy, those look like women's shoes". My wife and I looked at each other for a fraction of a second and I just smiled and said "No, they are like boots". That seemed to satisfy her. On a negative side, the shoes at first felt great but the more I walked I think the more my feet slide into the shoe causing my feet to swell and my toes to rub against the sides. By the time we finished shopping I could barely walk (we were only out for 2 hours!). I think I need to perhaps look for wide width sizes. Anyone else have similar experiences and maybe can offer some advice? See the link above to see what the shoes look like. Thanks, Scotty

Scotty727 wrote:

I might sell the other ones that hurt my feet. /quote]

Now you understand the importance of trying shoes on before you buy them. :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hey Bubba, In this particular case it wouldn't have helped. When I first put them on and walked around, they felt great. It was after walking around for 2 hours in Walmart that my feet started hurting. It could be just I need to break them in. I also had thick socks on with them. I just got thin nylon socks today so I might try them again this week in the mall. The good news is my other new shoes felt alot better. Tomorrow I am going to wear the 1inch to work.

Hi All, Well, today I made a major milestone. I found a pair of slide-on block heel shoes with a 3-inch heel I bought a while ago (I almost forgot I had them). I work about 2hrs from home so I have to drive to work and then stay in a hotel. When I got in the car to leave today, I put on the 3inch heel shoes and wore them all the way in. I first stopped for gas and coffee at the 7-11 and like you all said, no one noticed. Then even more adventurous, I ran by the grocery store on the way in to pick up lunch and had to walk all over. Again, not one person noticed (I even noticed once I got in the store that my pant legs did NOT cover the shoe but basically just covered the back so you couldn't tell it was a slide on). I will try to post a picture tonight but for now, just think of the JC Penny shoe with no back (basically a mule-type shoe). I felt so nervous about the whole thing but also very liberating. Tonight I need to run back by the grocery store before I check into the hotel and also by the mall. I plan to wear them as soon as I get back into my car after work until I completely check into the hotel. I am not wearing them at work only because I work on a military base and I don't think it would go over TOO well. I am wearing my 1inch loafers though and it feels great. I can tell you that I would never have been able to do any of this without all your support. For that I say a BIG THANK YOU!!!! For those still nervous, I say take heart. I am in the midatlantic (Washington DC area) and this area is VERY conservative. If I can do it, you can too!!! Scotty

Well done Scotty. One enduring style is cowboy boots; you can wear 4 or 5 inch heels in the larger sizes and noone can say they are women's shoes. They're cowboy boots, end of story. Every one knows they can have high heels and men wear them so if you are nervous, that's a good tip.

Scotty, this is one reason I try to buy slightly more expensive leather shoes. Even if in the beginning they are a little tight, I break them in slowly, wearing them for short times only, and after a while I find that they form to my foot. With the plastic shoes that one often finds a Payless that does not happen. Having said that I have been seduced a few times buying shoes at Payless. It is hard to resist getting a good-looking shoe for $10, even if they are plastic.

Actually, my wife asked me what I wanted for my anniversary present and I said "How about the heels from JC Penny"? She said are you sure that is what you want and I said "YES!". From the price ($69 US) I am assuming they are not "plastic". I placed the order today (we went to JC Pennys and they said they only carry them on the web, not in the store). I can't wait!

I am one lucky SOB aren't I? She actually doesn't mind because it means I let her buy all the shoes she wants. Matter of fact, most of her shoes I picked out for her. I love going shoe shopping with her. She would be way too embarrised for me to try them on in the store though, she is very shy on that topic.

Scotty, Which heels did you get at Penny's? They have a lot of neat styles in larger sizes. I almost got a pair of sandals from them this summer, but I already have too many heels!!! My wife is OK with heel too... We love to shoe shop together!!! SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I find that if I walk through a shopping mall with longish trousers half-covering my heels, I get a few stares suggesting "What's he hiding that we can't quite see", especially if I look a bit furtive and embarrassed. But after our Last UK Heel-Meet (where Firefox and Xaphod were strutting their stuff in broad daylight with exposed 4.5" and 5" heels), this gave me the confidence to have all of my trousers shortened to a length 1" ABOVE the tops of my highest heels. Yesterday, I wore my black leather ankle boots with 5" 'vane' heels (Vanes look broad and chunky from the side view, but taper down to a thin stiletto-width from the back view). In broad daylight, with greatly shortened trousers to give a FULL view of my 5" heels, I boldly and confidently strode the full length of each of the floors of the mall, often passing right in front of seated people. Sure enough NO-ONE EVEN NOTICED OR PAID THE SLIGHTEST ATTENTION. This shows that the more you look and act ashamed, and tried to hide your heels away, the more people instictively sense your furtiveness and get suspicious and start looking for something odd. But if you act with complete confidence and pride as if your heels are the latest fashion and are there to be seen in full, then there is not the slightest problem! And it is SUCH FUN to wear your shoes in a proud, open way, and to rotate your collection each time you step out. I recommend this open, matter-of-fact approach to everyone! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan _________________

Onwards and upwards!

Those shoes are a great way to "break the ice" and get used to wearing women's shoes in public. After two or three times, or when you reach the point where they feel natural or you're no longer aware thay you are even wearing women's shoes, that's the time to "graduate" to something with a higher heel. :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.