Anybody from CARMEL California ?

IBL70

Hello , Just read in a french magazine that stilettos heels are forbiden to walk with in Carmel's streets . I'd like to ask to someone living in Carmel if it is true , or maybe someone living in California can confirm . Many thanks .

Strange laws all all over.

This is from Wikipedia:

Though often erroneously thought of as an urban myth, the municipal code bans the wearing of shoes having heels greater than 2 inches in height or with a base of less than 1 square inch unless the wearer has obtained a permit for them. This seemingly peculiar law was authored by the city attorney in the 1920s to defend the city from lawsuits resulting from wearers of high-heeled shoes tripping over irregular pavement (caused by tree roots pushing up). Permits are available without charge at City Hall. While the local police do not cite those in violation of the ordinance, a person wishing to sue for damages from tripping while wearing such shoes is precluded from doing so unless a permit had previously been obtained.[citation needed][dead link][26]

Another unusual law, forbidding selling and eating ice cream on public streets, was a focal point of Clint Eastwood's 1986 campaign for mayor. He, and the new council elected along with him, overturned the ordinance and other similar laws that they considered to be too restrictive of businesses.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

I live about 45 minutes away from Carmel CA, and the wife and I visit there quite often. I knew about the quirky law, it is a throwback from years ago and no longer enforced (probably unconstitutional). However, me being the rebel scofflaw that I am, the wife and I have worn heels in Carmel many times in the past - oh the humanity - and never have had a problem. Come and visit, nice place too.... sf P.S. There are lots of other brazen women there openly breaking the law - as far as I know, I have been the only guy, too bad.... There are even shoes stores there that sell "fruits of the crime."

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"