Kitten Heels..why bother

JSpikeheels

...yesterday I did a medical file delivery to an area doctor's office and as I was walking to the elevator to leave a woman passed by wearing a pair of sandals with a one inch heel...if that ...what is the point of even bothering to pretend she is the least bit interested in a heel if one inch or less is all the enthusiasm she seemed to be able to muster to drag her azay out of bed and go to the obvious inconvenience for one lousy inch... ...heels, glorious heels have to be HIGH (at least get me over the 2 1/2" to show you at least care enough to make an effort) HEELS not h-e-e-l-s tiny little oooh these are sooo high I don't know if I can stand them one inchers... love my rant? I thought so...lol JSpikeheels/JIM

so I walked down to my Ranger and changed into my Bertinni Scotty black stiletto boots with the 5 1/2 inch heel and drove over to the fast food restaurant across from the hospital offices where I often stop for a bite...it was seniors day in there, it seemed, cause the place was full of blue haired old ladies and bent over old men...and in walked J in those killer heels and you would have thought the place was on fire-every head snapped in my direction and the chins wagged like flags at the United Nations whipping in the wind and I loved every moment of it all-good thing the hospital was close by...'911 anyone...

JSpikeheels... Yeah, I'm not into real high heels - 2 1/2 inches is my personal limit, but I have wondered about those low, sometimes less than one inch, kitten heel syle of shoe / sandal. They look unusual to me too - stubby might be a descriptive word. If the heel is going to be that low, make it a wedge, block or chunky type heel, not a kitten heel. As for your response, great!! We need more guys out in heels. Don't know about your area, but I feel I am the only guy out here in CA wearing heels. It's a lonely life!! ha ha... Take care...

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Funny you should mention this Jim. Just yesterday I had taken my GF to the Post Office and as I sat there waiting for her I heard the sound of a sweet running V8. I looked up and saw a Mercedes S63 AMG pull into a slot to my right. Out stepped a statuesque blonde, about 5'10" or so wearing a white top, white slacks, and white thong sandals with kitten heels. I guess she knew she had my attention as when she passed she gave a smile and a hello. What I'm trying to say is the kitten heels worked for her/me in that case. A higher heel probably would have been less classy.

I've never been a fan of kitten heels... all the drawbacks of stilettos (like getting stuck in paving cracks) without any of the flattering effects of a higher heel, and also the deception of hearing that sound followed by the inevitable let-down of seeing the shoes. Heels are cute, flats are cute, even kittens are cute - but kitten heels, not for me.

If you like it, wear it.

I looked up and saw a Mercedes S63 AMG pull into a slot to my right. Out stepped a statuesque blonde, about 5'10" or so wearing a white top, white slacks, and white thong sandals with kitten heels.

Shrimper, I know the total package adds up to maybe more than the sum of the parts; but take that same lady and put her in say a Ford Focus but she is wearing 4"+ heels and I think most heads would turn to check her out as she strolls by.

Well, I wouldn't cast them off, I think they can be kind of cute on the right shoe. Strangely enough though, having tried a pair I found there was something peculiar about the balance of them and found I had to work harder to keep from wobbling than my 3-4" heels.

Why is it that most men seem to think that heels HAVE to be high to be sexy..??

I adore kitten heels. Not only are they eminently practical in many situations, they can also be extremely sexy too. A true 'kitten' has a sculpted heel.....and as most kitten heels are seen on mules or sandals, the look can be just as alluring as a high stiletto.

I have several pairs of kitten heel mules, they are all pretty designs and they all have 1.5" to 2" heels - no higher. I wear them with jeans as well as skirts and dresses, and frankly, if I'm wearing heels all day, then a kitten heel is a far better choice than a high spike.

Besides, if it's a choice between 'kittens', or a pair of trainers or 'crocs'......then it's not much of a contest..!!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Well, they are a different looking shoe, so I'm sure it's just to mix it up in their collection. I can tell you that from my experience, kitten heels aren't any more comfortable or easier than say a 4" heel. I have a couple pairs and they require the same effort and balance, if not more.

To each their own ... and enjoy. Judging by the reactions to this thread, kitten heels are cute, pretty, sexy, fun, comfortable, practical, and go with many outfits. And even though the heels are only1 1/2" to 2" high, they are still high heels. To those who own them, like any footwear, have fun wearing them.

In 1965 they were known as "jetheels" - well the 'jet' age was still new - and that is what the girls were using to start their career in heels. They were a stiletto style that was 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches tall. They caught my eyes and held my attention. How I envied every girl in my classroom in grade/junior hi that wore such special shoes. By the time I was in high school, the "jetheel" fad had faded replaced by the "mod block mini heel" that just did not have "that look" of gracefulness. My first pair I purchased after being on my own in college was a pair of tripple strap mary-janes with a sculptured heel shape that had a base of about one square inch. Even though they were just over an inch in height, I could feel the difference form my male flat shoes. I could only guess how those girls in class felt with their "jetheels" of days gone by. I agree, if the choice is a low heeled feminine style or a flat flip flop, trainer, etc., I will take the first choice everytime. There is still something to them flats don't have - HEELS!

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I'm with the OP on this one..... why bother?!! My older sister seems to love kitten heels but I've never understood why! (In my opinion....... ) Kitten heels - whether they be boots, sandals, courts or whatever else - would look far better with a 3 inch or higher heel attached OR as a flat shoe. Almost everything about them irks me.. Like how a kitten heel doesn't change the look of the shoe or the foot (so why bother with such a low heel?) or when you hear the click of a heel only to find it's a (disappointing) kitten heel. It barely helps make a girl (or guy) taller and according to other posts in this thread they are equally as difficult to wear as a 3 or 4 inch heel. Yes it's easy to say that given a choice of kitten heels, crocs and trainers that you would choose kitten heels but they are 3 different types of shoe. Given the choice of a ballet flat or (the same) ballet style with a kitten heel there is no doubt I would choose the flats.

Call me Tights!

A quick search for jet heels found these at Target by Mossimo. Guess this makes me a traitor to the high heel society because I like them.

Those are very simular to the style I first noticed in a catalog as a "Your girl's first heels. High enough to delight her, but low enough for healthful comfort." There was something that caught my fancy about that whole statement and possibility in 1963 at age 11. They had them in a T-strap pump, lattace vamp pump, a side bow pump, and a square throat pump in white and black for Easter. Wondered then why girl's got to wear such pretty shoes and I couldn't. :smile:

Glad you found them to your liking as I still think they are a pretty style for a first heel style.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I have to agree to a point. They are OK on sandals but not pumps - why bother.

Ran on.

I could not agree more. Why bother on a pump... However, they do serve as a stepping (pun intended) point to wearing higher heels later

Men: Never ask a woman to wear a pair that you wouldn't! :silly: ~HnH83~

A quick search for jet heels found these at Target by Mossimo. Guess this makes me a traitor to the high heel society because I like them.

No...I like them too. 'jetheels' or kitten heels were all the rage in the early 1960's....just look at movie clips of youngsters in discos of the time - all the girls are wearing them....that's if they're not dancing in stockinged feet....

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

• 1 month later...

I for one have heard too many horror stories in regards to injuries with kitten heels. The slender low heels have to bear much more of the body's weight than higher heels do. More weight over the heel means that they are more prone to tip sideways causing ankle injury. They do have a reputation for being the most dangerous heel for a person to wear. Not to say that they are dangerous for everyone to wear.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

No...I like them too. 'jetheels' or kitten heels were all the rage in the early 1960's....just look at movie clips of youngsters in discos of the time - all the girls are wearing them....that's if they're not dancing in stockinged feet....

Back then, low heels were 1 1/4 to 1 3/4, mid heels were 2 1/4, and high heels were 2 7/8. I think they were measured at the front of the heel then as I remember the diagrams in the catalog instead of the back like today. i think that gave a large leeway in how high the heel actually was on the foot. I felt so envious of the girls in my class as they started weraring heels and I couldn't.

I remember hearing some complain how those "high heels" of less than 2 1/4 inches were hurting. I could not understand how that could be the case with something so beautiful.

they can look cute on the right feet with the right outfit.

Especially the case if the wearer has small feet as the small heel doesnt look out of proportion as with a larger foot

Agreed. Kitten heels can look fabulous................

post-1866-133522943808_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1335229438_thumb.jpg

PiB, are those you?? I got all tingly looking at them...

They are both from my 'Flickr'......you should know my feet by now Sweetie...!!:)