High Heels in the Arab World

here is a link to an article I discovered as I wondered just what Arab "Culture" considers inappropriate fashion regarding high heels:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/iran-intensify-clothing-curbs-citing-islamic-values--288098.html

excerpted:

Iran has set aside $1.5 billion to promote “moral conduct,” including enforcement of its dress code for women, “to solve the cultural and social ills” in society, Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar said on May 10. His comments followed the introduction of a code of conduct at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences that bans loud laughter, nail polish, high heels and immodest clothing for women and men.

Shoes shouldn’t have pointed toes, make noise or have heels higher than 3 centimeters (1.2 inches).

comments invited:

JSpikeheels/Jim

well sometimes it seems quite alot of people of any other religions would like to *ban* anything whats new or different (incl. high heels, or outfits which might be considered immodest because not traditional) too... I really hope internet resp. new media will make people more tolerant as to such things. Comments of people concerned would be interesting...

well sometimes it seems quite alot of people of any other religions would like to *ban* anything whats new or different (incl. high heels, or outfits which might be considered immodest because not traditional) too... I really hope internet resp. new media will make people more tolerant as to such things.

Comments of people concerned would be interesting...

pata,

I hope you are right, but sadly there is so much old thinking and traditional ideas in the Arab world (look at the money they are setting aside for this effort) that unless the majority trend by young women there is moved toward modernization and current fashion trends, this kind of thinking and philosophies will always exist and continue to exist. And hopefully those who tend to defy the traditionalism aren't ridiculed or even punished.

I have to confess, I have no idea. the only point is I think it is actually not an issue of religion at all, though people often try to make it look like it was...

here is a link to an article I discovered as I wondered just what Arab "Culture" considers inappropriate fashion regarding high heels:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/iran-intensify-clothing-curbs-citing-islamic-values--288098.html

excerpted:

Iran has set aside $1.5 billion to promote “moral conduct,” including enforcement of its dress code for women, “to solve the cultural and social ills” in society, Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar said on May 10. His comments followed the introduction of a code of conduct at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences that bans loud laughter, nail polish, high heels and immodest clothing for women and men.

Shoes shouldn’t have pointed toes, make noise or have heels higher than 3 centimeters (1.2 inches).

comments invited:

JSpikeheels/Jim

That article is from June 2010.

I'm wondering if Iran actually followed through on the spending and are they enforcing it?

Or is it just publicity generating political maneuvering?

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

excerpted:

comments invited:

JSpikeheels/Jim

Sounds like a great place to vacation at...

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

That article is from June 2010.

I'm wondering if Iran actually followed through on the spending and are they enforcing it?

Or is it just publicity generating political maneuvering?

I follow the Middle East scene greatly as I do have some interests in what happens there.

Iran did go through with the funding. They have Women whom walk the streets whom take younger women whom they feel are dress inappropriately to the nearest store and ' correct ' their dress. If they dont have the funds, they are ticketed and taken off the streets ( usually returned to their homes ).

Its not just with footware, there are other items.

This is going to sound weird coming from someone of my mindest, but leaving uncovered skin was an issue for myself while I was there ( middle east ). The sun is very hot and for a westerner, I burned and dehydrated very easily. Actually staying covered on more of your body helps prevent both from happening. One would think with as hot as it is that wearing shorts and a tshirt would be more comfortable but its actually not.

This will also sound odd but.. part of their conditions for women are for their protection. Women are sacred ( contrary to whats represented ) and are to be well kept for the birth of children. I dont feel modern day women need a ' nanny ' to tell them how to dress thought.

Im not defending nor condoning the dress codes of other nations as its none of my business what they do. I know an Iraqi woman whom moved to the States 3 years ago and is finally starting to adapt to our cultures.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

sure, no nationshould have those laws, but in that part of the world, there is no seperation of "church & state" because the the "church" (islam) is the state-its all the same for them

! they do not think like western countries, simply because of the culture that has evolved over the centuries.:smile:

I've had the pleasure of working in Iran and other parts of the Middle East over the years and just wanted to make a few comments:

- Iranians are not Arabs. They are Persians. Many Iranians have strong feelings against Arabs for historical reasons over the naming of the Persian /Arabian Gulf amongst others. Some find it offensive to be called an Arab, while most consider those calling them Arabs ignorant. See the article for more info.

http://www.payvand.com/news/10/dec/1144.html

- I havn't visited Iran after the increased vigilance, however earlier Iranian women told me they dislike their dress code and clearly like to wear western clothes and high heels whenever possible. Iranian social life goes on in private homes since clubs pubs bars etc don't exist. Once behind closed doors, the black clothes and head dresses come off and the women like to show off. Since this is their only chance they make the most of it and I've seen beautiful designer dresses and shoes being shown off.

- In other places in the Middle East High heels are everywhere. Take Dubai for instance. Go and visit the Dubai Mall and you will find shops selling just about every high end designer brand, plus many others as well. You can see many women with beautiful heels especially the local arabic women cruising around wearing their black abaya's with designer hand bags, oversize gold and diamond jewelley & 5" stilettos most likely from CL, YSL etc etc.