Which was harder

sscotty727

The only one that I can respond to is buying my first pair. I have not done public so I guess that doesn't count. I really wanted to try a pair of the wedge style flat pumps that were so popular in the late eighties. Finally, at age twelve, I went and scored a pair from Payless. I must admit that it is still hard to go into a store and buy a pair of shoes. Thank the maker for the internet. :lol: AZShoeNut

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I agree that Payless is a little more stressful (I have bought there before, like I have heard here, I just keep telling myself, they are selling, I am a paying customer, they have to sell). I find buying in a store like Target/Walmart alot easier since you can get other "stuff" and just go to a cashier instead of a clerk. I also am lucky enough to also allow my wife to make most of my purchases though.

Just out of curiosity, which have you found harder and needing to get more courage. Buying your first pair of heels or wearing your first pair of shoes in public?

As I wrote elsewhere, I used to think I was a TV, so I was used to buying all kinds of stuff. The first thing I ever bought was a dress :lol: . Since then, I've got used to buying all kinds of stuff, but remaining firmly in the closet.

I'd say overall that taking my heels outside was way harder than buying them. After all, if you're just buying them, you can pretend they're for someone else. But if they're on your feet - well, you can't claim you put someone else's legs on by mistake that morning!

So, I'd say that wearing them is harder, but once you've done it, you'll never want to go back!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Just out of curiosity, which have you found harder and needing to get more courage. Buying your first pair of heels or wearing your first pair of shoes in public?

The hundred dollars question! :lol:

In my case, purchasing my first pair of high heels makes me really nervous! I purchased them at the Le Château entrepot. I entered in the store and ...I found the heels I want. I take those high heels in my hand (they have no box for those one....) and I directly run at the cashier.

It was the longest moment of my life. Waiting to pay those high heels. A woman looks at me, with strange guy. Her eyes telling me..."what you purchasing women high heels?! Are you crazy?"

My turn come, I put the high heels on the cashier desk. The sale girl tolds me : it's for you? (with a smile)" So, I was easy to complete the transaction.

I leave the store with my first pair of high heels, 4 inches block heels. And the first thing I done with my pair of high heels is to drive my car (whoooooooooooooo.....difficult!)

This week, I'll go to the aldo store, I saw a nice ankle strap high heels. Of girl friend of mine purchased them and I really love it. I'm so nervous to purchased them *LOL* :lol:

Buying and trying them on at the store. But I have no problems on that now. I have yet to ask a actual shoe sales person and trying them on in front of them. But most of them do not have my size any way. :lol:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Having done both, buying was harder. I'm a CD, so going out in heels comes along with the dresses and skirts. I buy in both modes, male and female. I have a US size 9 womens foot and ask sales people for womens heels to try on all the time. I haven't been confronted or embarassed by sales staff, althought they sometimes don't understand. just be yourself, be honest, and have fun!!! :lol:

Any day that you don't learn something new is a day wasted.

Hmmm! Buying high heels! I bought my first pair of “my own” high heels when I was 12 years old. I saw this incredible pair of ankle strap sandals on display in a shoe store window. They were dark green patent sandals with black patent 4” heels. One afternoon after school, I rode my bicycle to the store and asked the sales clerk for a pair in my mother’s size ( my feet were still the same size as hers). I told him that she sent me to buy them for her. Although not expensive, I remember that it took most of my savings to pay for them. Since then, I’ve used every reason to buy heels that anyone has posted here. For my wife, girlfriend, etc. Since I wear a U.S. Women’s size 10 I don't have any problem buying a pair “off the rack” and returning them if they don’t fit or aren’t comfortable. These days, my wife buys most of my women’s shoes for me. My biggest problem is that whenever my wife sees a pair of shoes that she thinks I’ll like, she buys them. Her taste in shoes runs to the more feminine styles so I wind up returning most of her purchases. And, occasionally I'll purchased a pair I’ve found on eBay. One thing I can state with certainty is that right now I’ve more pairs of high heels than I’ll ever be able to wear out.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Buying and trying them on at the store. But I have no problems on that now. I have yet to ask a actual shoe sales person and trying them on in front of them. But most of them do not have my size any way. :lol:

I've not had a problem with this for a while. I still find a big enthusiastic greeting from a bloke when I'm over the 'women's' side is a bit off-putting. But otherwise, I go in there and go for it. I'm lucky in being UK8, so I can buy off the shelf. Part of the fun is in having the conversations - all of the female assistants i've encountered have really helped me, and i've had some fantastic shopping sessions!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I'm right there with you YamYam, I've now no problems shopping. In fact, I have sales people help me, even bring them out, open the box, unzip. All this while dressed as a guy. It's a HUGE turn-on when they just assume that I want to try them on right then and there. I roll-up the pants, sometimes take the heels with me and try on other ladies' things (if in a dept. store). No problems yet! Some times though they first ask if they're for my wife. Luckily, this is NYC, so most stores carry US10's/11's, in a wide-selection of smart and sexy styles. I've had great experiences: nothing like a woman chatting me up saying, "they look great on you" (sincerely), or asking me what I think of their selections. 3-4 times I've had that happen. Alternately, I love to chat with sales people (again as a guy) about styles, cut, designers...just heel chat. Dressing in public is tougher for me (because I go all the CD-way!)...despite being mildly passable. The apartment building I live in, is small, everyone recognizes me (and my wife), so it's only to sneak out late at night alone. But my heart races if I hear a door open/close, thinking a neighbor will see me (marble floors and stairs don't help either, those stilettos make such a racket!).

I almost uniquely buy my shoes from sales staff now. It is such a thrill to chat with the sales girls and let them advise me on shoes. As others on this board, I often try on the shoes and walk around with them in the store while looking at other shoes. The most difficult situation I find when I am trapped in a small public place with very feminine shoes on (like in an elevator) and people start staring at them. There is no escape then ...

I'd have to say that wearing heels in public was harder, at least for me anyway. When you're buying shoes, you're inside a building where exposure to the public is limited to the people in the store with you at the time. But when you're outside in heels, it can feel like you're under a microscope, and the entire world is watching you. And if you're not used to that sort of exposure, it can be extremely stressful. I know it was for me at first until I got used to it! :-D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!