Oxfords

Leo

Yes I do like Oxford style shoes with a 3-4 inch heel, at the moment I don't own any but as soon as I find a good pair I will make a purchase.

life is not a rehearsal

i like oxfords a lot - own 3 pairs of them. and it seems like oxford style high heels become fameous again. at least you see a lot of different oxfords in various shoe-shops in the last few month.

here is a blogentry with a few pics of me wearing 6inch oxfords from pleaser:

http://higherheel.blogspot.com/2011/01/6inch-black-high-heels-and-black.html

You look absolutely stunning in those. I want to get myself some as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here at High Heel Place like the leather Oxford shoes as seen in photos from the 1950s?

I am not certain that the answers given so far have taken proper account of the original question (as above). I suggest that respondents had in mind the fetish-style lace-up shoes with very high, thin heels (as worn by Bettie Page etc) - scarcely everyday wear. Leaving them aside, I cannot recall any Oxford-style women's shoes in the 1950s that had anything other than a cuban heel of around 3" maximum and a rounded or slightly tapered toe - essentially a man's shoe with a heel added and having an overtone of domination.

The latter was a very traditional and rather conservative shoe; one move away from the flat lace-ups that were still commonly worn by women of all ages in an everyday 'working' context. Cuban-heeled Oxfords (or courts) were popular with women who were unable or unwilling to adopt the less clumpy court styles that began to predominate from the mid-50s, especially after the stiletto came into vogue. Teachers, librarians, nurses and ordinary housewives often wore black or brown Oxfords like this; indeed it seemed an integral part of the uniform for the more senior nurses (sisters, matron) and some servicewomen.

Personally, I don't care for the Oxford style on men or women, with or without a heel of any type - principally because it reminds me of the drab pre-stiletto era. But I can see that an Oxford (or loafer) with a modest cuban heel is a good shoe for discreet male street-heeling and a pointed stiletto version can (like any stiletto) look good on a woman.

So, which of these 50s Oxfords did Leo have in mind - the 'housewife' or the 'pin-up'?