Adventures of SleekHeels

SleekHeels

Well, I finally managed my first proper heeling adventure this week. Wow, it was cool. I wore my brown wedge boots (http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/everybody/12175d1299728486-boot_photo_shoot-brown_wedge_boots.jpg) under dark blue bootcut jeans (slightly longer than the ones in the photo), a light brown t-shirt and dark brown v-neck jumper... all womenswear but I wasn't trying to masquerade as girl, just a guy with a stylish and feminine edge. Most importantly I felt comfortable within myself, if somewhat apprehensive.

Anyway, I spent the first part of the day at the library studying. I wore flats to get there and changed into my boots as soon as I arrived. I had to walk through some quite busy areas with lots of people around. I felt especially self-conscious walking up stairs with people behind me, but that was quite an exciting feeling. I don't think anyone even noticed at all, or if they did there was no reaction whatsoever. Of course sitting in the study area for a few hours was pretty unevenful.

I had fully intended to change back into my flats before leaving, but I found myself really wanting to keep the boots on and continue the adventure... so at 4pm in broad daylight I found myself walking about a mile through town in my boots. The most anxious moments were crossing the road at traffic signals where I had to stop and stand still for a while and then walk infront of stopped cars. I made it to a book store where I spent about half an hour browsing in different departments. I really wanted to go to the bookstore cafe but I didn't have time (definitely next time though).

Reading this back it sounds far more boring than I expected my first adventure to be, and it turned out to be a really normal day with no comments/remarks (positive/negative) at all... but actually it was a real buzz. I was surprised how invisible I was, and I guess it really helped to choose a safe location and an appropriate outfit (though I appreciate that's not everyone's preferred approach, it worked for me). It'd be great to get a "nice shoes" comment next time, though maybe I need to wear a slightly more ambitious pair of heels to deserve that.

If you like it, wear it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on your first public heeling experience! I appreciate your apprehension at going up stairs and crossing a street. I still fondly, remember my first outing in thigh boots including that first step out of the car. Soon you will realize that the vast majority of the people either don’t notice, don’t care, or appreciate someone being a little daring. There is only a small minority that will offer despairing comments (unless it’s a gaggle of giggling girls shrieking O.M.G.). As for finding a safe place, a library is ideal and walking outside while minding your own business is almost as good. The next time you’re at the library, try wearing your boots (nice looking by the way) over your jeans. You can always pull the jeans out and wear them under your jeans, but I’ll bet you get the same non reaction. At worst you will get a couple of glances, at best you will get a “nice boots” comment.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for posting about your adventures. I enjoyed it, and it's helpful for me to imagine so many hours in heels. I also had my first adventures out this week after a year or so indoors. First trip out was maybe 10 min in the grocery and then into a Starbucks. Today was even shorter. It was interesting and fun and my interest is growing. Today, I had a brief trip out to the post office in boots very similar to yours. Mine was from DSW, called an Audrey Brooke Leather Wedge boot, about 4" heels. It is a bit noisy! and I was self conscious. But had fun.

Congratulations on your first outing. Maybe the activities weren't that fun or maybe they were routine to you, but doing them while wearing high heels had to be fun. Good luck to you on your future outings. There will be future outings. Now that you've got the bug, you can't wait until the next time. We all know how you feel.

Good deal SleekHeels! See how easy it is? I recommend staying at this level until it becomes your comfort zone. You'll know when that is when you come home and don't give much thought to the boots you had on when reflecting on the day. From there, it's completely up to you as to how far you want to go. I personally stayed right where you are now and am totally happy at that point. It's been a decade for me now and I still love the feeling of my elevated heels when standing in line at the local Subway or whatever. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Thank you all for the encouraging comments. Verisimile, I bought them for around £12 ($20) in the end of season sale at a clothing store called Peacocks here in the UK a year or two ago. They were a lucky find and it really helps that I'm a size UK7 which is a pretty mainstream size. They are really comfortable to wear and walk in, though my calf muscles needed a good stretch after wearing them all day and walking longer distances than I'm used to in heels. Thighbootguy, I'd definitely like to build up to wearing my jeans tucked into my boots one day. I think it's a great look but I'd struggle to find a pair of jeans which I could wear both ways - perhaps when I build up the confidence I'll go with my skinny jeans. It's interesting that tucked-in knee-high boots feature widely in a lot of eastern-European traditional costumes for men, so maybe if the fashion designers create a folk revival on the high street the look could become more widely accepted.... but then why wait to follow a trend when it's far more fun to take the lead! :silly:

If you like it, wear it.

so maybe if the fashion designers create a folk revival on the high street the look could become more widely accepted.... but then why wait to follow a trend when it's far more fun to take the lead! :silly:

Absolutely, and boots look great with skinny jeans. Size 7... geez.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Congratulations SleekHeels! For your first outing you certainly didn't hold anything back. You will be suprised how much easier it gets until you suddenly realize that it really isn't a big issue at all.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Nice boots, they easy to walk in?

Pretty much the easiest of all my shoes and boots, they're only 3½" heels, and the mile walk was really comfortable.

Thanks for posting about your adventures. I enjoyed it, and it's helpful for me to imagine so many hours in heels.

I also had my first adventures out this week after a year or so indoors. First trip out was maybe 10 min in the grocery and then into a Starbucks. Today was even shorter. It was interesting and fun and my interest is growing. Today, I had a brief trip out to the post office in boots very similar to yours. Mine was from DSW, called an Audrey Brooke Leather Wedge boot, about 4" heels. It is a bit noisy! and I was self conscious. But had fun.

That must've been quite a buzz, did you get any reactions or were you as invisible as I was? Those DSW Audrey Brooke boots look like a good choice for first-time heeling. They look really quiet, how come yours were so noisy? Mine are as quiet as trainers/sneakers which is almost too quiet. I'll stick with them for now - I'd love to build up to trying my ankle boots ( http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/everybody/12169d1299728320-boot_photo_shoot-black_ankle_boots.jpg ) with black jeans, but it seems like a big step to go from wedge heels to non-wedges.

If you like it, wear it.

Pretty much the easiest of all my shoes and boots, they're only 3½" heels, and the mile walk was really comfortable.

That must've been quite a buzz, did you get any reactions or were you as invisible as I was? Those DSW Audrey Brooke boots look like a good choice for first-time heeling. They look really quiet, how come yours were so noisy? Mine are as quiet as trainers/sneakers which is almost too quiet. I'll stick with them for now - I'd love to build up to trying my ankle boots ( http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/everybody/12169d1299728320-boot_photo_shoot-black_ankle_boots.jpg ) with black jeans, but it seems like a big step to go from wedge heels to non-wedges.

Today I went out for 30 min shopping in a 4" heel boot from Avenue that is my quietest. I stopped by a local thrift store last weekend and found some great jeans with wide bottoms and they just touch the ground in my boots. so now I can more confidently explore various heels outside. The audrey brooke wedge boots are very snug, and somehow the way I walk in them is noisier- maybe the way the front taps down loudly on a non carpeted floor. Probably just need practice. These outings are SO much better fun & practice than walking around the house!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple of recent shopping experiences buying my New Shoes.

I bought the grey ones one evening, and spent about half an hour in the store trying on various other pairs including a couple of other court shoes, a pair of black ankle boots and a pair of taller black boots (just below the knee). Various other customers were browsing and trying on and nobody seemed to notice me at all. This was the first time I kept heels on as I walked to the racks to put shoes back or get other ones to try.

I bought the black ones one lunchtime. It was quite busy with the lunchtime rush so I just browsed for a while to see what styles I wanted to try and if they had them in my size. After the main rush was over I took a couple of pairs to one of the seating areas and tried them on. I've attached a selection of the ones I picked out to try. My seating area didn't have any mirrors nearby so I had to walk past other seating areas to get to a mirror. Talk about high visibility - I was definitely noticed by a few other customers but I didn't get any hostile stares, just discrete and slightly surprised glances. (I wonder how many "You wouldn't believe what I saw this lunchimte" conversations happened later that day?). In the end I preferred the black slingbacks so I bought them. The other pair which would have really tempted me was a pair of cream/tan peeptoes which I'd tried at another branch, but I couldn't find them to try on again.

That's 6 or 7 shopping experiences so far, and each time I come away thinking what I could do better... I need to get over that "rabbit in the headlights" feeling and smile a bit more. I've found that what outfit I'm wearing makes a big difference - and going for a more androgynous look (but still a guy) makes me feel more comfortable and confident.

I hope that helps someone thinking about taking that bold first step in a store.

post-29841-133522939183_thumb.jpg

post-29841-133522939186_thumb.jpg

If you like it, wear it.

Congratulations on your most recent outing and shopping experience. I really like the brown and tan high heels in the second picture, That's just my preference. But it does sound like you had a good time and thank you for sahring it with us.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been two months since my first proper public adventure, not at all what I expected. I thought it'd be like opening the floodgates and I'd go crazy wearing them everywhere, but asides from a couple of shopping trips trying on in store, it's taken me a while to get to my next outing.

Today I wore my brown wedge boots - the same ones as before (http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/e...edge_boots.jpg) but this time with exactly the bootcut jeans in the photo (on the right, worn over the boots) and a fleece jacket. First I went to the bank, where I was a little nervous about having to stand in the queue for a while, but it was just fine. Then I went to the supermarket to buy a few basics, and I made a point of walking around to various isles to see what special offers they had. I didn't get the feeling that anyone had noticed at all, and really felt quite comfortable just going about my business, just like many of the adventures that more regular heelers have posted about. I think it really helped that I picked a good time (early afternoon, so after the lunchtime rush but before all the kids are out of school). I also let myself enjoy the feeling of confidence from standing 3½" taller, and really put that rabbit-in-the-headlights feeling out of my mind. In the supermarket I helped a little old lady get something she couldn't reach, but I didn't think until afterwards that I could have said "good thing I'm wearing my high heels!" and maybe brought a little smile to her afternoon. I always think of these things after the moment's gone.

Thinking about why it took me so long to get round to my second adventure, maybe the first time was loaded with tension that what felt like a huge risk was worth the gain of the sense that I'd achieved it. Now I feel like so long as I'm sensible about it the risk isn't quite so huge as I first made it out to be in my mind. Meanwhile the gain of enjoying the experience is still there, but now I'm much more relaxed about the heels just being part of my wardrobe and no big deal to wear (well, that's true with the wedges at least, not sure about "proper" heels yet but I will eventually try when I feel more comfortable with that).

If you like it, wear it.

Congratulation on going out in heels! You probably discovered it's actually easier than you thought.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Congratulations on your latest outing. I can tell by your post it is getting easier every time to go out wearing high heels. And believe me, it is as much or more fun every time. Thank you for sharing with us.

I think what I really noticed was the change in feeling and attitude from before the first time and after... the best way I can describe it is that it felt like a compulsion before and a reckless thing to do, but now it feels like a choice, much less about the thrill of the risk and more about just enjoying the fun and pleasure of wearing heels when a safe and suitable opportunity arises.

If you like it, wear it.

I think what I really noticed was the change in feeling and attitude from before the first time and after... the best way I can describe it is that it felt like a compulsion before and a reckless thing to do, but now it feels like a choice, much less about the thrill of the risk and more about just enjoying the fun and pleasure of wearing heels when a safe and suitable opportunity arises.

I can definitely relate to this. And believe me, the more you go out-and-about in high heels, the more you look forward to it and the more fun it is to do so. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Well I wasn't going to wait another 2 months for my next adventure. Much as I enjoyed my first two outings in wedges, I've been really wanting to take the step to "proper" heels. There's an outfit I've felt comfortable about wanting to try out (my black ankle-boots, black bootcut jeans and grey rugby shirt), so a couple of days ago I finally decided to go give it a go at a local retail park. First I went to a department store, chose an entrance that wasn't too busy but ended up having to walk through the mens clothing department. At first I felt a bit uneasy walking in the main aisle so I cautiously picked out a route between the clothing racks and even stopped to browse just to pause and relax and build up my confidence. I made it to the womens section where I felt a lot more comfortable browsing. I didn't find any clothes I particularly liked, but I headed for the shoe department to check out a pair of brown sandals I had in mind. I found my size and took them to a trying on area, which was in a fairly prominent position but I just removed my boots (I was wearing kneehigh tights underneath) and tried on the sandals as a perfectly normal thing to do, which it totally is of course. I thought they were pretty nice but a bit too pointy at the front and not so flattering for the shape of my foot around the toes. At this stage I had planned to change back into flats to buy some things from the supermarket nearby, but I was feeling quite comfortable and adventurous so I decided to walk the 50 yards (past a cafe and cash machines) to the supermarket entrance in full view of people walking to their cars. I grabbed a basket and wandered up and down the aisles looking for the few things I needed, then headed to the cashier where the queue was really slow. I finally paid and walked back to the department store to have another quick browse before heading home. Throughout the whole time I felt pretty confident because of the extra height from my boots, and even from the sound they made as I walked across the hard floors (the boots are fairly quiet but still definitely sound like heels - I doubt the sound was really noticeable in the wide public spaces with background noise, and certainly much less noisy than they sound on my kitchen floor). In the department store I felt like nobody really seemed to notice, though I exchanged a few polite glances with a couple of female customers in the women's section, and a polite "excuse me please"/"thank you" to a lady as I replaced the sandals I'd tried on. In the supermarket I noticed a couple of glances from guys which might have contained a hint of "weird" in them, and a couple of glances with younger women who I thought might have noticed my boots but if they did they didn't seem at all freaked out about it. Hard to tell really. Certainly no comments (good or bad) from anyone, and I'd say it was a positive experience which felt pretty good and natural, comfortable and exciting. I'll definitely look out for a chance to wear these boots again soon.

post-29841-133522942402_thumb.jpg

post-29841-133522942407_thumb.jpg

post-29841-133522942408_thumb.jpg

If you like it, wear it.

So, I had another study day this week... I wore the same outfit as last time (outfit1a.jpg) to the library. I was definitely aware of the sound these boots make compared to my silent wedges, but the heel-tips are ¾"x½" plastic so it wasn't overtly attention-grabbing and still quite exhilarating. Before studying I went to the cafe, strolled confidently across the hard floor and queued to order my coffee, then walked around until I found a table in the busy seating area. I really enjoyed that coffee. Again I felt invisible throughout, though I'm sure people noticed, they were just very discreet in their reactions.

I've also taken a photo of the outfit I wore for my very first adventure at the start of this thread (outfit0.jpg). Back then Thighbootguy also suggested I wear the boots outside the jeans so I thought I'd try out that look too (outfit2b.jpg) though I'm not quite confident enough to take it public just yet. I think the brown jacket is more flattering than the jumper, so here's another look I might aim towards taking public (outfit2.jpg) though perhaps not with those particular shoes to start with.

post-29841-13352294283_thumb.jpg

post-29841-133522942832_thumb.jpg

post-29841-133522942834_thumb.jpg

If you like it, wear it.

Thighbootguy also suggested I wear the boots outside the jeans so I thought I'd try out that look too (outfit2b.jpg) though I'm not quite confident enough to take it public just yet.

I don't see why not... Looks very nice to me. (As with all advice on this board, consider the source.)

Seriously though, I do think it looks conservative, but if your not comfortable presenting that look, don't do it.

I think the pointed toe stiletto heeled shoes in the third picture would get more notice than the boots would.

The important thing is to enjoy your heeling.

...Back then Thighbootguy also suggested I wear the boots outside the jeans so I thought I'd try out that look too (outfit2b.jpg) though I'm not quite confident enough to take it public just yet. I think the brown jacket is more flattering than the jumper...

Outfit 2 is definitely my favorite. (Take that from a source who works amongst the most influential fashion people in the world.)

I like the tightness of the jeans as it slims your legs. The jeans are a bit wrinkled at the knee, so maybe work on solving that. If you wear socks or knee high hose, you can pull them OVER your jeans, then tuck the jeans into the boots.

I'd swap the light brown belt for a belt that better matches the color of your boots.

You would then have a classic fall outfit, good to wear anytime during the Fall/Winter season.

Congrats on your initial outings and continued luck to you in your freestyling endeavors.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Reminds me of my first time to the bank. I wore some wedges I (regrettably) took from my cousin (at the time, we were close to the same size until I grew), and decided to wear them to the bank. They were peep-toe with a unique wedge. They were under my jeans, but my little toes (at the time) were "cute" and peeped out from under them, so I was scared from the start. Long story short, waited, no eyes or stares (quiet shoes), and left with my money :) Sorry, just had to reminisce a little :wave: But I knew that since I had done it once (and at my personal favorite place to "start" heeling), I knew I was able to do it even more often. And this was..... almost 3 years ago! :sad: See how much it stays with you? :)

Formally "HHDude"