Would you wear stilettos for a job interview?

Firefox

OK girls, here's the question. You are going for a dream job that you really want. It's top pay and conditions but you know that the firm is a little bit conservative in it's attitudes. You know you're a good worker, and if you get the job you'll have little problem dressing how you want so long as it's smart. However, what are you going to wear for the interview? Would you risk 5" stilettos, and if not what would you wear?

I wouldn't wear my 5" ones but I would most certainly wear my 4" in fact I have done and I got the job! As we all know some people have no appreciation of heels and if you are being interviewed by a jealous woman type then 5" is a definate risk. 4" is within the boundaries of what most people call normal and if those should offend then hey who would want that job anyway :smile: jo-jo xx

Don't ask me how I walk in them just try a pair

The fact I never wear anything lower than 4 inches must mean I've worn heels to a job interview. In my current field of employment I've been promoted 7 times and along the way have probably been to 20 interviews always in heels and on occasion 5½ inch heels. Mind you, I don't think selection committees see much of the heels given there's usually a great slab of wood between you and them, commonly known as a table. May'be the HH might be offset a little in that I always wear classic ladies business suits to work, I have about 20 suits. Inga xxx :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-21 15:08 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Oh another thing, my field of work occasionally involves representation in the public eye, ie, in a law court. Yep, I'm there in my 4 inch plus heels and have never had any adverse comments or infact comments made by the judiciary and they can be masters of cynicism. Mind you they can't see your footwear during proceedings as usually great slabs of wood block any view. Afterwards they can, but they're probably too carried away with other things to notice. xxx Inga :smile:

Any company dumb enough to pass on a good employee because of the height of a heel deserves to go under. I wore four inch heels to my last job interview, but if I had been able to find something five inch I would have worn that pair. It is best to go as you are to an interview, and be hired based on who you are. This avoids any surprises.

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered going for an interview for a temporary position as a project coordinator about a year ago. I wore a pair of 4 inch black patent slingbacks with a black knee length skirt and white blouse. The interview was conducted in a meeting room. The interviewer wanted a "more informal" approach to the interview by conducting it away from the table by pushing two chairs away from it (He has all the unobstructed view to my skirt, legs and shoes). During the interview, he was stealing glances to my legs and shoes. Anyway, I tunred down the offer. :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

Agree Debbie, I can walk in them, like perfectly and people are used to me in heels. I think they would be more surprised if I was'nt in heels as some have never seem me in anything but heels. Inga :smile:

I think a lot depends on how you walk in them, clumping around will definitely attract unwanted attention. Also doing things (eg dangle at the extreme) that would attract attention away from your face to your feet (shoes) may produce adverse results. Overall its a tad on the conservative side, so agree. Inga :smile:

I still think that if conserative is not your style then you shld not dress that way for an interview. A potential employer must know what he or she is going to get. I cannot wear low heels and pants to the interview, and then high heels and a short skirt my first day of work. The image presented should be consistent. Conservative. Are we all applying for jobs with a political party? Be yourself and if they like who you are, the job is yours.

Well said Laurie, only problem is some of those chosen to sit on such commitees often have a narrow blinkered view of fashion and are so thick they overlook the skill set required for the job. Inga :smile:

For my next pair of shoes, I am thinking of getting a pair of Oxford pumps (Black, either patent or matt) 5 inch stiletto heels. I would like to seek some opinion from everyone here. What do you think of Oxford pumps for job interviews ? Oxford pumps are not common here. Thanks... :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

I think Oxfords with heels are great. But then, my pair has a post heel, not a stiletto heel, so they give a slightly different image. You may wish to choose a more well known style with a heel over a pair of Oxfords, especially if you feel the Oxfords are not as good a choice for your outfit over a pair of courts, for example. Wear what looks best all over!

Yeah... I thought about it for a while. Perhaps not but I do like the looks of oxford pumps. Anyway, I think I will stick to the reliable pair of pumps for interviews. Thanks... :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

Personally, I would not wear a thin stiletto heel to an interview. I go for the total look. With a sharp business suit, a slightly thicker heel of 3 to 3-1/2" would complement the outfit much better than a thin spike. Save the thin spike for wearing with the suit after hours. But again, this is just my personal feeling. I conduct many interviews for new hires, most of them being young women. With all else being equal on qualifications, the job will go to the one who has presented him/herself the best. To me that is an outfit that is properly coordinated and together. I am human, and I do notice these things, and they do affect my decision in hiring. If a woman comes into the interview, and it is obvious that her shoes are incorrect for the outfit or if her overall outfit doesn't fit the image of the company, she had better have the best qualifications if she wants to get the job. You may love your 5" stiletto heels, and you may feel great in them, but in an interview, you must always keep in mind that you are there to impress the interviewer, and not yourself. Jodi

Jodi, I have to take issue with the way you select people. So if someone has the skills and the personality for anjob, and they wore something that you felt was not as appropriate as it could be, you would not hire that person? That should never be a consideration. If there is a dress code, than that is as far as you can go when reviewing what someone has put on for the interview. We each have our own individual sense of fashion, and we cannot project that onto others. I must say, it would worry me if I was up for a position and yuo found my shoes to be inappropriate for my outfit and you then hired someone who was not as good at the actual job. I am hoping you will explain this a little bit more and show me who I am misinterpreting what you said. I feel that personal bias about fashion cannot come into an interview. Companies have dress code policies so we can eliminate that bias.

Even though I would wear stilettos to a job interview, two things come to mind. One, I think five inches would be a limit for height. Two, if my company ever lifts their freeze and they ask me for a second interview, then I may not wish to wear stilettos. The 9th floor is where I would interview, and it is also where they keep the mail room. When I need to drop off things in the mailroom, I notice the floor has a weird tile. It is not flat, not smooth, and it is not good for wearing heels. It is like wind carved rock in a way, strange grooves and the like. I navigate it well enough, but it is not as easy as the rest of the building. Maybe where the interview takes place is as important as the position when choosing shoes... and yes, this is filler post, I am going to go celebrate the high heeled ranking promotion now. Bye!

Hiya Laurie, Come on, I've attended a couple of job interviews in 5½", got the position in one, so be daring and go for it. Mind you the rest of my attire was a classic business suit, Jacket, crisp white fitted shirt and knee length skirt, this might have offset the heels. B) Inga :smile:

I kind of agree with Jodi.:smile: Its actually depends on what kind of offer you get. If its a 9-5pm office interview, then surely it's alright to wear those 5' inch heels. For instances if you are going for an engineering firm where you need to go out surveying places,then i will will something that is more appropriate for the interview. ( Debbie, do you have a opinion to this? )B) However, i still go for my 5 inch heels but rather not wear stiletto heels as we don't know whether the floors are flat or not in the interview like Laurie had said earlier. Anyway be the best you can be and shine out your confidences B)

Emu, well once I was at a nature reserve (private zoo) and the operators were handing out seed food, for us the great unwashed to feed the Emu's. Now these things are about seven foot tall, there also pretty keen on their food. As I approached the Emu's one being quick on the uptake realised I was the food source. Now those eyes they just look straight through you, so I let out a sharp yelp sort of threw the food in the air and ran. Ingrid's a bit of wimp when it comes to dealing with some things and this was one. Certainly the're not my version of a house pet. Inga :smile:

I'm suprised how many girls here would wear the stilettos even with heels as high as five inch. You just don't know who you are going to get to interview you. It is likely to be an older more traditional person, even a woman who can't wear heels as high as she would like. It's taking a risk, so I would opt for 3" stacked or chunky heels and suit or skirt suit with tailored jacket. After I landed the position I would wear 4 inch stils, with the same type of outfits. ~Caz :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...