Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I went shopping again last night but this time I wore my Tony style U boots. The Tony’s are a crotch high black leather boot with a 5” stiletto heel. As I was walking across the parking lot a woman called out “Hey, look at that girl”, I think she meant me, and there was a stunning silence when she figured out her mistake. I was wearing a tan suede jacket, turtle neck shirt, jeans and boots. In the store, these boots got a little more notice than the even the blue Pleaser 8899s I had worn before. It may have been a different crowd but I got at least one “ :lol: “ and a few “ :lol: “ but no one offered any comments. This time I was glad I had a shopping cart to hang onto. The heel tip of these boots is a little closer to the ball of my foot and makes walking more “interesting”. I have walked through two large stores with a 5” heel on my Pleaser 8899s but the Tony Us were much less comfortable and offer less ankle support. I think it’s just going to take more practice. As before, I talked with folks in the checkout line about how long the line was and everyone politely chose to ignore my boots.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Thighbootguy - enjoyed your comments as well as your pics of thighboot fashion attire! If you look like 100% guy, you might try wearing them with shorts (or a miniskirt - whatever floats your boat) under a long ankle-length coat (trenchcoat). If you're like me with long hair and more feminine features, you could probably get buy with an earring or two, perhaps a touch of makeup and possibly even a long skirt. Or, just go with the shorts and tights look with a jacket... Up to you!

I wore stiletto OTK boots in non-tranny mode for the first time last saturday and it felt great. I used to wear 4.5" block heel "cavalier" boots all the time at college though. Isn't it odd, I was wearing obviously female boots then but put stilettos on the same boot and I'm nervous!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I'm curious... I tried on thigh-high 5" heeled boots once. They were actually quite comfortable (leather), but I don't like heels over 4" in general (I badly sprained an ankle in high school...) Still, even though I wear 4" heels a lot, I've never had the hankering to wear anything further up my leg than an ankle boot. So, I'm curious - what's the attraction to knee/thigh/crotch bootery?

Dr.Shoe – Will you expand a little on your outing with the OTK boots?

Genebujold – As I have mentioned I have a problem with some 5” heels but the Pleaser-8899

http://www.howcool.com/pleasersshoes/PL-8899.htm

is the most comfortable 5” I have ever worn. It really feels like a 4” heel and the price for this pair of boots ($45-75) is reasonable from the e-bay stores and many other web sites.

Your question “what's the attraction to knee/thigh/crotch bootery” threw me for a loop especially since you said you have tries a pair of thigh boots. Aside from feeling great, looking great and usually being unique, I guess there isn’t much to it. I have worn court shoes, ankle boots, and knee high boots, but there is nothing that feels as great as a pair of thigh boots ( oh well that’s my 2 cents worth).

I present myself as male, even when wearing thigh boots. I tried going as female but (for lack of a better term) it didn’t feel right. I sometimes wear earrings with my boots but as a male.

As I mentioned earlier I like the look of a jacket, jeans and boots. I’ll give the long coat some thought, it sounds like it might be fun.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Dr.Shoe – Will you expand a little on your outing with the OTK boots?

This is a reprint of my post in the "A review and a note of thanks" section under real life meets and shopping forum.

"..It started at 10.15 when I went down to the bus stop in my flat thigh boots and waited ages for a bus.

When it eventually arrived I went upstairs and sat almost opposite the stairs and surreptitiously changed into my stiletto OTK boots so that when I got to Liverpool Street I only had to dive across the landing down the stairs and scuttle out of the door before anyone could notice.This was a silly idea in hindsight as plenty of people were going to see them anyway! With a certain nervousness I walked across the road and down the escalator to the concourse with one lady doing a double take at the top. Also a couple of lads coming up the other way glanced down but said or did nothing.

I walked across the concourse to the entrance to the tube (subway in Americanese) and I felt a few eyes watching but just carried on nonchalantly as if I did it every day of my life! As I went down the escalator to the platform I realised that this was the first time that I had gone on the tube in stilettos though as I used to live and die in 4" blocks it wasn't the first time in heels.

I got to Tottenham court road at around 11.30 and phoned firefox to find out where everyone were, he told me to turn around and look at Starbucks to see if I could see him waving which I could. Knowing that the entire group were watching me, I crossed the road, went in and bought a cup of tea and went upstairs to join the others. I was shocked by how many there were, nine of us in total with one on his way!

(FF, Xa, Heelfan, Ionic, Myself, Calv, Daz, Red Mountain, Jo and Someone-who-hasn't-yet-posted)

Once we were joined by Jo, we went to Wallis next door but I had forgotten my bag and went back for it to be questioned by some of the other customers so I told them about the board and that we like to get together and be different! In Wallis I tried on some divine little kitten heeled ankle boots with a strap across the toebox which i must buy as soon as I've created more space in my cupboard !

After that we started to work our way up Oxford street which it must be said needs a couple of days to see it all properly but we wanted lunch and to get to Harrods to look at the Ferragamo exhibition. After looking at Dolcis, Faith, Barratts etc. we found a little Korean restaurant with an "All you can eat" menu which worked out at £8.30 including a bottle of beer-not bad in the West End.

Next, we jumped on a Number 10 and made our way to Kensington Gore so we could walk through a litte alleyway I know about bringing us out virtually opposite Harrods (where a coach driver boggled as we waited to cross the road!). Unfortunately, Heelfan didn't have a ticket for the bus and Joe didn't make it so they shared a taxi and waited for us at the exhibition .

After that we made our way to Camden at which point Xaphod walked past a couple one of whom said "Look a man in womens boots!" then as I walked past: "There's another one!". When we changed at Leicester Square, several people boggled as we were waiting our train because there were comparitively few people on the platform and we stood out a bit!

At Camden we made a bee-line for some of the shops on the way to the Stables Market when Heelfan and I got separated from the rest of the party so I phoned FF again to find that he was standing only a few yards away ! We crossed the road and were "interviewed" by two young ladies in the shop who thought that what we were doing was great. After we went on to the Oxford Arms where Xaphod did his bit to keep crime off the streets, or more precisely to boot it out of the pub and onto the street!

After a quite scoot around the stables (it was closing) we went up to Chalk Farm station where we split up because some like Daz had long journeys or return deadlines and the rest of us, 5 in total made our way to my house for Stella, Pizza and a neb at my collection.

It was certainly a memorable day and I think enjoyed by all, and spurred by the success of it I am looking forward to the Birmingham meet and will make every effort to be there and we (Ruth and I) may even make it to Paris!"

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dr. Shoe - sounds like a very scintillatingly titillating day out! Reminds me of the first few times I ventured in public in heels. Alas, I just like wearing them for the looks, the feel, and the fact that my bum ankle works alot better on a 3" heel than it does on a 1" heel or less. Thighbootguy - I would probably venture into the 5" realm, but alas that bum ankle works worse at 5" than it does at 0". Thus, for comfort relief, I'm stuck between 2-1/2" and 4". Any lower, slight pain. Any higher, lots of pain. I wear a 3" heeled two-strap slide around the house (looks very similar to the pic below my icon), and it's the most comfortable shoe I've worn in many years. In winter months I opt for a heeled clog-like mule or a pair of boots. BTW - haven't forgotten about your other comments - I'll get right on it.

Genebujold – Sorry, I didn’t understand you earlier comment about your ankle. I have a pair of thigh boots I bought at least 15 years ago that have a 2 ½” heel. The boots are kidskin and are very soft. So soft that I have a harder time walking in them than boots with a higher heel and a little more support. I found them in a discount shoe store in Texas and they were bright pink. They had brand name of “Back to School” which I think went out of business. At the time, wearing them in public, even under long pants, was way more than I could handle. I had a local cobbler dye them black and I was able to wear them under long pants. This was my only pair of thigh boots for a many years. Four years ago I wore them to the movies, outside my jeans. This was one of my first ventures into the public with thigh boots. I got to the theatre just after the movie started so I didn’t have to contend with a crowd in the lobby and the theatre was dark when I went in. I don’t think anyone even noticed I was wearing boots. I also left just before the credits. I remember being really nervous (scared actually) and I stopped wearing thigh boots in public for a good while. I’m not sure what has happened to me recently, but wearing my boots now is just fun (and warm). I’m going to have to start going to the movies again.

Four years ago I wore them to the movies, outside my jeans. This was one of my first ventures into the public with thigh boots. I got to the theatre just after the movie started so I didn’t have to contend with a crowd in the lobby and the theatre was dark when I went in. I don’t think anyone even noticed I was wearing boots. I also left just before the credits.

That wouldn't work here because in our multiplexes, the films start at different times so there's always a queue at the ticket desk....

....That is always assuming you're bothered about people seeing you of course! :(

I just got a pair of black chap boots:

Posted Image

I found them on a web site that had them miss priced at $100. As soon as I saw them, I called to verify the price and placed an order. To my surprise they honored the price and shipped them to me. The boots are advertised as having a 5” heel which is about my height limit. When they arrived, the first thing I noticed was the heel is 5 ½”. That half inch sure makes a difference. I think practice will solve the problem but has anybody had any experience lowering a heel by ½”?

I haven’t worn these in public yet. I just don’t want to go out in heels I can’t walk in comfortably. Has anybody else tried these (public or private)?

I’m trying to think up a clothing combination that will make these boots look good. I think it is going to be dark pants (maybe black leather) with a jacket. Any suggestions are welcome.

Practice, practice, practice...

Cool boots. Nice bargain. I see they are marked USD 280 now.

I wonder what sort of profit margin they have if they can afford to honour that sort of deal, or maybe very few people actually noticed?

It would be better to learn how to walk wearing 5½" heels than to change the heels on the boots. Lowering the heel might ruin the looks of the boots but if you learn to walk in them you'll always be able to wear any other pair of 5½" heels.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It would be better to learn how to walk wearing 5½" heels than to change the heels on the boots.

Sure! You know - ensuring your parking spot is never more than 47.32 feet from the ticket counter, and that the theater is always the first or second one down the hall.

If it's a sell-out, of course, wearing 5-1/2 inch heels will require you to limit yourself to the first seven or eight rows...

Either that, or you might wish to have paramedics standing by to assist with the severe foot/ankle/heel pain that you may experience during your night on the town...

Naturally, all of this have been tongue in cheek, of course - unless the guy is a gimp (as I am), wearing heels is easier for guys than gals - our skelaton and musculateure is more adapt at wearing heels than gals (on average).

• 2 weeks later...

A while back I was shopping for CDs in a thrift store. I was wearing a black of black leather thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels, jeans, white shirt and tan leather suede coat . This was my first time in the store in boots and I was being a little careful. I try to avoid kids when I’m wearing boots. Not that the kids bother me, it’s that a guy wearing thigh boots might bother their parents. Anyway, this boy (10 - 12) walks up beside me and asks, “Are those women’s boots or men’s”? From the interest he was showing I think he really wanted a pair of boots. I said, “With this heel (and rocked my foot sideways), I guess their women’s” He looked disappointed and said ,“Oh” and walked away. :( I didn’t think it was appropriate to say something like, ”What difference does it make, their my boots” especially if the parents were around. A minute later a young girl (12-14) wandered over to the CD display just to see who was wearing thigh boots. She wasn’t really interested in the CDs. I really think she just wanted to be really sure I was guy. I bought a big stack of CDs and went through the checkout line and out to my car without further incident. I had read some advice on this site about being around kids while wearing heels (I haven’t been able to find the article again). The advise was to steer a wide path because of the parents reaction. I totally agree. The last thing I need is to confront an angry parent :x .

I've been around plenty of kids, my own and the grand kids too. I wouldn't be to worryed about it. It could be, in fact sounds like, the young man wanted a pair of boots like yours. You answer may have cut him off at the knees. You might have answered him with something like --these have been mens boots for over 300 years, but yes, you can only get them in womens sizes now. If you can wear them, go for it, I do.

I had read some advice on this site about being around kids while wearing heels (I haven’t been able to find the article again). The advise was to steer a wide path because of the parents reaction. I totally agree. The last thing I need is to confront an angry parent :x .

Sage advice, Thighbootguy! And one never knows when the parent might be on the town counsel... The legislation wouldn't last long, but it might much up the works for a while.

There's another area where we must be every so careful - around tiny tots, mainly crawlers. In advertantly trapping a toddler's hand or fingers between a man's heel and the carpet causes a lot of pain, but usually little else - and we can usually feel something that says "woah! Isn't that a hand?" through normal men's shoes.

While wearing women's heels, however, especially platforms, about the only thing we notice is a slight aberration in the flooring and the sound of a baby's screams about two heartbeats later.

More than that, however, is the damage a narrow heel can do. Some quick math reveals the average woman's heel is about 1/9th the area of a man's heel.

Therefore, the pounds per square inch (that's what does the damage) is nearly ten times as much as it would be if you're wearing loafers.

So, when toddlers are around my house, I just play it safe and walk around in socks, which are even better at sensing tiny fingers than loafers.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had my first outing with my chap boots. I went shopping at Biggs and wandered around the store for half an hour. I didn’t even notice a head turn. I was wearing a long sweater that extended long enough to cover the top of the boots in the back but is completely open in the front. From the back and side they look like leather jeans with attached heels. From the front you can see they are chap boots. I wore them over blue jeans. The boots come with a belt and the top of the boots loops over the belt to hold them up. (No more pulling my boots up after I have walked a bit). I looped the top of the boots them over the belt for my jeans. My jeans waste line is several inches lower than the full height of these boots so, although they were not too loose, they could have been a little tighter and taller. Next time I will go with the separate belt. I had really been having problems walking in these boots because the heel height was ½ an inch higher than my ankle would tolerate. I also think there was a design flaw in the boots because the tip of the heel extended past the back end of the boot when the sole and heel were flat on the ground (the heel slanted backwards). I really tried to practice walking in these boots but there was no gracefulness in my walk and after a very short time they hurt my ankles. It really seemed like I was off balance most of the time. Anyway, I had a cobbler lower the heel ½ inch so the heel was vertical when the sole and heel were on the ground. I can now walk in these boots without any problems. I’m still working on the graceful part but my balance is very sure and there is no pain. Now I think practice will solve all the other problems. These boots really are huge and cover my entire leg. These are definitely cool weather boots. As Anita C. so aptly stated it “LORD they are warm!”. There is no zipper on these boots and the ankle is cut slim enough to have a nice shape to it but this makes putting the boots on a bit of a production. I can’t just slip them on and go. But now that I can walk in them, I plan to do that a lot.

I just added Dr.Scholl’s (foam with a slick surface) inserts to my chap boots and it has made them very comfortable, even with the 5” heel. I had put these inserts in my other boots but forgot the chap boots. I strongly recommend some kind of a cushioned insert in any boots but especially if they have much of a heel. The padding under the ball of the foot and heel feels great and really extends the time I can walk a high heel. I stopped at busy gas station last night while wearing my chap boots. This was a pay at the pump station so I wasn’t wandering all over the place but I got no reaction at all. Sometimes I think people only see what’s in their own little chunk of the world don’t see the rest past it. Getting out of the car is still like going of a diving board, it’s tough to go back, but once I’m out I really don’t worry too much and just enjoy myself.

I have never seen a spike heeled boot with the heel slanting back, most slant forward, some times a lot. Your right that would be hard to walk in. Like you I find most people don't notice, but then I don't look around much anymore, life is to short. BTW your Pleaser ? boots, how well are they made, are they holding up?

I stopped at busy gas station last night while wearing my chap boots. This was a pay at the pump station so I wasn’t wandering all over the place but I got no reaction at all. Sometimes I think people only see what’s in their own little chunk of the world don’t see the rest past it.

I'm not so sure... I see a decided change in the way people are viewing others. Twenty years ago you certainly would have received furtive glances at the very least, and quite possibly a pentrating stare - or worse.

Over the last few years, the idea of accepting others, regardless of their outward appearance, has finally permeated society. You will undoubtedly find a few rag-tag segments where a heeled guy will get the snot beat out of him. But the vast majority of regions, at least in the U.S., will, at worst, offer fairly good-natured ribs at a man's choice of alternative attire when it comes to wearing heels.

We're definately in a new era, one where an individual's choice of fashion is acceptable simply because it's that individual's choice of expression, rather than the fact that the choice interleaves with the currently accepted fashion norm.

In fact, fashion itself is fragmenting. Whereas in years past we'd see definite trends, these days we're seeing counter-trend after counter-trend, to the point where any given designer on any given runway can, and will, show a particular line that has little to do with anything else, either being shown that day, or "in vogue" for that year.

You might say we've reached the point where it's in vogue to be out of vogue.

Your right Gene, its changed a lot in the last two or three years. I know (from this board and experience) that lots of men would like to wear heels and feel they can't. As long as you do it right, theres no problem any more. Still I have never seen it around here, I guess no one else would dare, -- yet.

Well slim, I really figure that most people DO'NT have time to care THAT much what one wears and those that do, well let's just say that time is WAY too short to really care what they think if they have NOT the ability to keep their insecure thoughts to themselves! since to my knowlege we as a people (or species) do NOT have the abililty to mind-read so when those kinds of people feel the need to broadcast thier thoughts to the world you really have to just "slough" them off (in one ear out the other kind of thing) I love to wear my thigh boots like those pics in here with the levis tucked into the boots :( to me thats the ONLY way to wear them to look thier best!! yours, Brad

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

BTW your Pleaser ? boots, how well are they made, are they holding up?

I have two pairs of Pleaser thigh boots, white 8899's and black 8890's. Both pairs seem to be well-made, although IMO the 8890's are better. They are also half the price again though. The 8899's are pigskin with 5" heels, and are a little tight around my calves. (16") The 8890's are cowhide with 4" heels and only available in black. Being pull-on ones they are a little wider in the leg, so they fit me better, although this will of course depend on your calf measurement. The 8890's are longer, and are made of cowhide, so the leather is heavier and has a much finer grain.

Although I prefer the 8890's, the 8899's are still a good boot. I spent the same amount of money on a pair several years ago that were not as nicely finished, nor as comfortable.

I have two pairs of Pleaser thigh boots, white 8899's and black 8890's. Both pairs seem to be well-made, although IMO the 8890's are better. They are also half the price again though. The 8899's are pigskin with 5" heels, and are a little tight around my calves. (16") The 8890's are cowhide with 4" heels and only available in black. Being pull-on ones they are a little wider in the leg, so they fit me better, although this will of course depend on your calf measurement. The 8890's are longer, and are made of cowhide, so the leather is heavier and has a much finer grain.

Although I prefer the 8890's, the 8899's are still a good boot. I spent the same amount of money on a pair several years ago that were not as nicely finished, nor as comfortable.

I love the Ellie "Susie" style, they have a good supportive arch and tend to fit wider around the calf. They have a full length zipper and even feel great when you're putting them on, the way they become tight as you zip them up. They walk very well too.

The downside is, they are only available in PVC (as far as I know). I agree about the old 8899s, I have two pairs, the older pair tends to pinch my toes if I wear them too long whereas the newer ones have a straighter, more vertical heel and fit like a dream!