Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

Genebujold wrote

Over the last few years, the idea of accepting others, regardless of their outward appearance, has finally permeated society.

Genebujold is right. The way we react to others has changed. My cynical side thinks it’s because we don’t bother to see each other because we are too stuck in our own worlds but my optimistic side (more like Genebujold) thinks people are now more tolerant of others. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

Slim asked

BTW your Pleaser ? boots, how well are they made, are they holding up?

All my boots seem to be holding up just fine. :(

The Pleaser 8890 are cow leather and are well made. The are pull on style and the shaft is a little too large for my leg so they don’t stay up as well as I would like but over jeans this hasn’t been a problem. It’s kind of fun to reach down and pull them up to full height every once in a while.

The Pleaser 8826 have a flat heel and are black pig leather. I have worn through the lining in the back of the heel. I think they are a little too large for me and my foot moved too much, causing the wear. But then I wear these boots while I am working outside (cutting the grass, building a deck…) and they have held up better than I thought they would.

My other boots are Ellie’s but I think they are the same as Pleasers. My 8868 are black pig leather pull on style with a 4” heel. The shaft is a little smaller then the 8890 and the leather is a little stiffer so they stay up without any problem. My 8899 are royal blue pig leather with an ankle zipper and a 5” heel. These are the tallest thigh boots I have. They feel and look great. These are very comfortable boots even with the 5" heel and I am looking to get another pair in black.

As I said in an earlier post, I recommend and cushioned insole for all these boots.

Has anyone tried Ellie's Vixen lace up style boots?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for your comments THBG. I have never been able to try a 5" heel. Several times I though I had it but found they were only 4 1/2". Going to take a scale with me the next time I go out. Hard to find anything here in cincy.

right now, I'm debating on just what pair of boots to wear for post-thanksgiving shopping @ the local mall either my only pair of thigh boots (flat heel though) or my thigh faux black leather platform wedge knee boots or my ankle high 4 inch platform heels (steve madden) what to wear, oh what to wear!! :(

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

Come on TuckedintoBoots, you can't seriously expect to come here on to this forum - this HIGH heeled forum, and start talking about being unable to decide whether to wear flat boots or high heeled ones! It should be absolutely no contest! You must need a shake-up! Have a cold shower, take a brisk two hour walk in the fresh air, take another cold shower and maybe take some tonic medicine. Then see if the decision is any easier. If it still isn't, then maybe look for another forum called something like "The FLAT Heeled Meeting Place"! Well I never did! Things have come to a pretty pass! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

well hellfan, please forgive me for making the errant mistake of mentioning my one and only FLAT :( heel thigh boots, its just that they are the ONLY pair of thigh boots I have right now you see.... but all the rest ARE high heels of different sizes and types (you know, like wedges, blade heels, block heel loafers, & my ankle platform boots that I wore today with 4 inch heels no less) I just love boots of ALL kinds- flat & high heels! :( errant

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

Slim wrote

Hard to find anything here in cincy.

Slim, try “The Thing Shop” over in Newport. The carry Pleasers and Ellies shoes and boots.

http://www.the-thing-shop.com/home.htm

If there are other places in cincy let me know.

Heelfan, lighten up. :(

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

There is a place in Chicago that has been in business for a long time -- so logic dictates it must be reputable -- called Skyscraper Heels. It's located at 2202 W. Belmont, Chicago, IL 60618 -- Telephone 773-477-8495. (I checked the "reverse telephone directory" and they are still listed.)

Their advertisement says that they sell Scarves, Hosiery, Earrings, Leather gloves, Corsets (English Import) and shoes in sizes 5 to 15 -- Heels 3" to 7" high, Platforms, Boots. The ad says they are open on Tuesdays thru Saturday from 12 noon until 8 pm and on Sunday from 12 noon until 5 pm.

I've never purchased anything from this company. However, a guy that lived in Chicago, that I used to correspond with several years ago, told me they were a reliable company and carried a good line of shoes.

Their URL is: http://www.skyscraperheels.com/shoes/index.htm

Perhaps there is someone that lives in the Chicago area that can tell us more about this place? A quick trip from Cincinnati to Chicago might be called for. Or, you can always call and order over the telephone or on line.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather in my part of the world has cooled off enough that I can now honestly say I am wearing my thigh boots because they are warm. Temperatures are in the low 30sF 0-3C and I am discovering how nice it is to have warm legs and feet. Tonight I had to go shopping for cat food and litter. There is a pet supply store in a near by strip mall so off I went in 4” heels. After wandering around the store, I had to ask the clerk where the brand of food I wanted was shelved. She led me to it without a word about my boots. The other customers in the store either didn’t notice or didn’t care. I got one look in the parking lot. Even though ice and stilettos don’t mix, I think I’m going to enjoy this winter.

I didn't see the one with the 2.5 in heel in their thigh-boot listing. Their boots seem to be the same as Pierre Silber's (probably the Ellie label manufactured in China). I still have a pair of Ellie leather chap boots which are satisfactory, although they do not have the refinement of the boots worn by the models in the fetish magazines published up to the late 70s.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I had to work late tonight so I decided to stop for dinner on the way home. I went to a Bob Evans ( brightly lit, family style ) restaurant. I was seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant and enjoyed a plesant meal and chatted with a nice server. I was wearing my black Pleaser 8890s with a 4” stiletto heel , blue jeans, and black turtleneck shirt. The was no sitting in a dark booth on the edge of the restaurant tonight. These boots really are great looking boots when worn with jeans. I have been wearing these boots and my Pleaser 8868s a lot lately. It is cool enough to wear them comfortably and I have developed enough confidence to go almost anywhere in them. Part of the confidence comes from practice walking in a 4” heel. I really manage quite well now. The other part of the confidence come from my developing attitude about wearing my boots without regard to what others think about them (or me). As long as I don’t project that I am doing something out of the ordinary, or in your face, most people don’t seem to care. As I have noted before, I am not about wearing heels, but I am about wearing thigh boots that happen to have a heels. I think there is a difference in my approach to wearing heels than I have read in posts by others, but after thinking about it, I don’t think there are two posters with the same approach.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought another pair of Ellie 8899s. This pair is black, my other pair is royal blue, and I haven’t worn the blue pair very much. When I got the new pair, they were in individual sealed plastic bags in the box. When I opened the bags, the odor was very strong and bad. I think it was the shoe dye and the sealed bags kept it from dissipating. I had to keep the boots outside for two weeks for the odor to go away. Once I could wear them (the odor was that bad) I went shopping at Sam’s Club. The outing was without incident but these boots raised more attention then the Pleaser 8890s I normally wear. So what is the difference in these two styles. Both are black leather, but the 8890s are cow leather and the 8899s are pig leather so the 8890s are a higher quality boot. The 8890s are pull on with a 4” heel but the 8899s have an ankle zipper and a 5” heel. The tight ankle and the extra inch on the heel make a big difference. In a previous post I said, “I am not about wearing heels, but I am about wearing thigh boots that happen to have a heels”. That works with the 8890s with the 4” heel. The 8899s are a different story. These boots have a narrow shape the focuses attention on the 5” heel. These are high heel boots rather than boots with a heel. It took me a little while to get past this difference. The way the 8899s are designed makes them easier to walk in the 8890s, even though the heel is an inch higher. I can take a full length stride in the 8899s and I can’t do that in the 8890s. This is going to be a fun pair of boots.

Back in September JimC asked:

“I'm wondering how you manage to tuck your pants all the way down the boots if they are not zip up boots”?

I said you could tuck the pant leg into the top of you sock to hold it down. This works if you are wearing ankle length sox, bit it is a pain. Since I have been wearing my boots a lot more, I have had the same problem of keeping my pant leg in my pull on boots.

The solution is a study in the coefficient of friction (COF). You must have a higher COF between your leg and the pant leg then between the boot lining and the pant leg.

If you wear knee high socks that have a rough texture (and the lining of the boot is smooth) the pant leg will stick to the sock fabric (higher COF) and the pant leg stays in the boot. Without something textured covering your leg, the pant leg will stick to the boot lining (which will have the higher COF) and the pant leg will work its way out of the boot.

Wearing hose with a slight texture is generally enough to stick to the pant leg and keep the pant leg in the boot, but very sheer hose will allow the pant let to stick to the boot lining and work its way up.

Another solution is blue jeans that are tight at the ankle. These jeans can’t ride up your leg. When I go out wearing jeans and pull on thigh boots, this is the style of jeans I wear and the pant leg stays in the boot and the boot stays up (the boot lining sticks to the jeans).

If I an out with regular slacks (Dockers), I have tried to make sure I am wearing knee sox or hose. The pant leg stays in the boot but the boot tends to slide down (the boot lining slides on the pant fabric). At least I can pull the boot back up and the pant leg stays down.

The concept of proper prior planning applies here.

Not only did I have to learn how to walk in high heeled thigh boots, I also had to learn how to wear them.

It’s worth the effort.

Slim; I got them on e-bay from Kissprof Girl for $51 including shipping. It was a good transaction. I stopped in the Thing Shop wearing my 8890s and was disappointed at the current selection of boots. It was just after Christmas and the stock may have been low. I asked the folks at the shop where they thought I could go and where I shouldn’t go wearing my boots. They suggested staying out of the lower income neighborhoods. The also seemed surprised at where I was going “out and about”. But they also admitted they were in “Their own little world”. The shop is still worth a visit. Call for their hours.

The solution is a study in the coefficient of friction (COF). You must have a higher COF between your leg and the pant leg then between the boot lining and the pant leg.

Solution:

1. Cut off your jeans to a length mid-calf.

2. Sew in thin elastic banding to hold end of jeans just below knee

What you can do is to put an elastic band around the bottom of the trousers. What I sometimes do is to pull the jeans on only up to mid thigh, pull my boots on all the way up then pul my jeans up so that there is a slight tension between the jeans and the lining of the boot.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

When I wear my overknees I also wear elastic jeans that are very tight fitting on thighs and calves. These do not move in any way and look very nicely too. These pants can be bought in several colors, I have them in white, black, blue and a dark brown. They are made in Italy, the brand name is "Doringo" and especially the white ones look like riding pants. Greets, kiwiguy

• 2 weeks later...

My part of the World has started getting some snow for the first time this year. I thought it would be great fun to try and go out in the snow with a pair of thigh boots with 5” heel. I quickly learned that traversing ice was to be avoided but snow was kind of fun. I had no concern for getting cold or walking in snow deep enough to freeze my feet if I had regular shoes on. While I was out it started snowing much harder. My pony tail was solid ice and I started to notice the top of my leg getting cold. The boots I was wearing have a little flair at the top and it had started to fill with snow. I took that as a hint to go back inside and thaw out my pony tail. Ah the perils of wearing thigh boots on the outside of your pant legs. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was out grocery shopping again last night. I was wearing jeans, a turtle neck shirt, a long jacket style sweater and a pair of black Ellie-8899 thigh boots with a 5” stiletto heel.

http://www.howcool.com/elliessummer2003/EL-8899.htm

I was shopping rather than a quick dash in to get something and I had some time so I just wandered up and down the isles. I went to two stores and just took my time. I think this trip was more about wearing my boots than going shopping.

Some folks were in their own world and really didn’t see my boots. Many noticed my boots but most just ignored them. These boots are very high and the heel makes them look even higher. The heel puts my height to 6’5” and in one persons opinion (mine), they really look good. I was really enjoying my outing when I started wondering, why am I doing this? Why is this so much fun?

The last time I was at the Thing Shop in Newport I asked about wearing my boots in public. They replied, “Well there going to attract a lot of attention, is that what you want”?

I don’t normally like to attract a lot of attention to myself but wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels doesn’t seem to jive with that statement. I am really looking around inside to come up with an answer to the “why” questions. I have always liked wearing boots but wearing them in public is relative recent. As has been mentioned before, people are a lot more tolerant of others now than in previous years and I suspect that toleration is allowing me to go out in public with my boots (nobody has ever bothered me). But I’m still back to why…

Any thoughts would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, while my wife was out of the house, I changed into my white thigh boots and black leather jeans. While I was working at the computer, I realized that I had left my briefcase in the car in the garage. Without thinking about it, I went outside to the unattached garage to get my briefcase. While walking back to my house, I noticed a man walking his dog and looking at me during my whole walk. He didn't say a word, but I don't think he sees to many men in 4" stiletto heels and leather pants. It was fun and I will do it again.

Everyone should wear boots!

• 2 months later...

Well summer has started and the temperature is getting into the 80s F (30s C) . I work in am office in air conditioning and I don’t deal well with warm weather. Needless to say, it’s starting to get too warm to wear my thigh boots. In an earlier post someone suggested wearing thigh boots with shorts. I tried that once and didn’t really like the image. Looks like I’m going to have to wear something else for a while.

One place I may still be able to wear them is on the drive to work. I leave early so it is still cool. The drive is about 45 minutes. I put my boots on before breakfast, putter around in the kitchen, then go out to the car. I also make sure I have my work shoes in my case (old Land’s End cloth case). I dump my case into the back seat and drive to work.

Last week, when I stopped at the gas station, I had to move my case into the front seat to look up something. And, yes I pump gass wearing my boots. When I got to work, I reached for my work shoes and they were not in my case.

Minor panic.

I figured they had fallen out of my case when I moved it but they were not on the floor anywhere.

Higher level of panic.

I thought about walking in with my boots… not an option

I have another pair of shoes in my office so I thought about walking in without shoes… maybe

I thought about going back home and getting to work an hour and a half late… maybe

I’m so used to wearing my boots outside my pant legs it didn’t occur to me to pull my pant legs out of the boots. They would have covered the boots and the heels… duh

I was about ready to head back home but I couldn’t believe I had not put my shoes in my case. I distinctly remember doing it. I finally moved my case off the front seat and there were my shoes. I had put them there when I got into the car so it would be easier to change at work.

What a great way to start a morning. :D

FYI I have started a topic Thighbootery on the “Your favourite shoe pictures” page.

http://www.hhplace.org/hhboard/viewtopic.php?t=3149

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been kind of busy lately and haven’t had time to post much. So it’s time to catch up. The temperature hasn’t gotten too warm yet and besides, the places I go while wearing my boots are air conditioned. I have been having a great time. I normally go shopping several time a week on my way home from work and I wear my boots into the store (Sam’s Club). I think the staff at the store expects to see me in boots. Only the new ones even bat an eye when I walk in and the rest just nod and say, “Hi”. I have started taking my time and shopping rather than just dashing in and out. It’s great fun to stroll through the store. When I started wearing my boots I was really concerned about peoples reaction and fearful of very negative reactions. Over the months I have only gotten few negative reactions. Last winter I was in Sam’s parking lot loading my car and a guy (and his wife) very sarcastically asked me if I was warm enough. I assured him I was and that was the end of it. There are also the occasional peals of laughter from young girls but whatever. Most folks either ignore me, give a quick glance and look away, or return my smile. I have noticed a lot of new folks joining the forum. Welcome. If your going to wear heels, go ahead and wear thigh boots.

I took a day off work and went to the Cincinnati Art Museum. I spent the afternoon walking around the galleries and trying to again become a member of the human race. I tend to get way to wrapped up in work. I was by myself and the museum wasn’t too busy but a guy walking around with a sketch pad and wearing Pleaser’s 8868H4 black thigh boots, http://www.pleaserusa.com/pleaser_product_detail.cfm?ID=222 did get a little attention. The emphasis is on little. Everyone that noticed (man most did), did a quick glance and went on their way. Most folks returned my smile. Several of the guards talked to me about the paintings and my sketching but no one said a word about my boots. Wow, great paintings and a place I can wear boots…Needless to say… I had a great time.

I used to go to the museum on at least a weekly basis but work has kept me from doing that. I plan on going back very soon (later this week if I can) and I will wear my Pleaser’s royal blue 8890H5 http://www.pleaserusa.com/pleaser_product_detail.cfm?ID=224.

My only caution about going to a museum is it is a lot of walking. Be sure you are comfortable in the shoes you wear. Other than that, the people at a museum seem to be open minded enough to accept most anything.

Aren't artists commonly known for their exccentricities and non-conforming dress habits? (to the guards, it is porbably just another day with the artisie crowd) :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.