Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

Wearing Thigh Boots in Public

For years, I have enjoyed wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels, but only wore them in private or under jeans when in public. Then I discovered this forum and I really got me thinking along the lines of “these are my boots, why can’t I wear them?”.

Last year I bought a pair of boots with a flat heel and started wearing them in public. Most of my outings were local shopping trips, and I had a good time. The boots attracted a little attention but no problems. My longest outing was a trip where I flew from Dayton Ohio to San Francisco with a layover in Detroit. The airport security had me “remove my shoes” so they could x-ray them, but they were doing that to a lot of people. There were several folks that watched me walking in the terminals with a bemused look on their faces but there isn’t a whole lot else to do in a terminal other than watch people so I figured I was just part of the show. The flight was great and the stewardess said she liked my boots.

I was in San Francisco for a business meeting and wore more “conventional” footwear while working, but in the evenings I was out and about in my boots. It was absolutely uneventful and I had a great time. The flight back was about the same as the flight out except I had to walk from one end of the Detroit airport to the other to get my flight (I was kind of glad the boots were flat heeled).

A digression – Why did I wear “conventional” footwear while working? I was representing the company I work for, not myself. I didn’t think the boots were appropriate dress for a business meeting any more than if I had worn cutoff shorts and tee shirt. That was not the “statement” I wanted to make at the meeting.

This spring, before it got too hot, I started wearing thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels over (not under) my jeans in public. My first post, under Thigh Boots on the For the Gals : Shopping in thigh boots section describes my first outing. Without repeating it here let me just say it was s rush and I had a great time.

Over the summer it is too hot to wear boots .

The weather has started to cool off again so… On the way home from work I stopped at a Bigg’s grocery supermarket. I went in wearing a short sleeved dress shirt, blue jeans and blue leather thigh boots with a 5” stiletto heel ( http://www.howcool.com/pleasersshoes/PL-8899.htm ). This is a large “super store” with 40 long isles of “stuff”. Several people noticed what I was wearing but most people gave no reaction. I had to ask a female clerk where an item was and the store policy is for the clerk to take the shopper to the item. She was very polite and took me several isles from where she was working and made no other comment. I also think she wanted to see how fast I could walk in the heels. As I was leaving the store I did get one reaction. A young kid walked past me and I watched his reflection in the glass in the lobby as he did a full 180 trun.

So far I’m having a great time and that’s the goal.

I’ll post more adventures later.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I am considering trying a pair of lace up thigh boots. Can anyone offer any advice, experience, recommendations? They seem like they would be more adventurous than the pull on or zipper style but a lace up with a zipper might be a good compromise. Any thoughts?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and enjoy the comments! As for lace-ups, I bought a knee-high, 5" heel, white pair that also had an inside zip (from Tony's Shoes on Sunset Strip in LA). Definately the way to go for me (privately dressing and shopping means I have to remove and put back on more times than I'd care to lace-up!). BTW, they look great with pink ribbed thigh high nylons (with a frilly band at the top), and a white leather mini-skirt so the nylon and a little leg show. I wore this around a hotel in San Diego and while driving in a car, and once for Halloween (put my wig in pig-tails, cute pink school-girl blouse to complete the ensemble). Well, I hope this contributes! Love, Betsy

Thighbootguy wrote:

I am considering trying a pair of lace up thigh boots.

Take a look at Debbie (HK) website. She has a pair of black laceup thigh high boots with at least 5" heels (I think they may be as high as 6"). In past chats with her, she's mentioned what a pain it was to put them on. A task that was made easier, I must say, by the willing help she received from her husband.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bootbaby, from one new user to another, welcome. Thanks for the advice. Your outfit sounds like a lot of fun. Was there something special going on at the hotel in San Diego? I was on a trip to Indianapolis Ind. this spring and I wore a turtle neck shirt with long sleeves, blue jeans, and pair of black TBs with 4” stiletto heels while driving these, checking into the hotel and going out to dinner. The hotel was in down town Indianapolis and I wasn’t ready to walk around in the downtown of a city I didn’t know so for dinner I drove out to a less populated suburb. The restaurant I went to a steak house. When I walked in the host (male) really did one of these ” :lol: “, then showed me to a booth. After dinner, I asked the waiter if the boots were pushing things too far. He stopped, thought for a second, and said “You would be better off on the North or East side of town, here on the West side there were a lot of red necks that might take exception to the way you are dressed”. I thanked him, and left a good tip. The host held the door open for me. Then it was back to the hotel. Other than peals of childish laughter from the two girls at the counter when I left the lobby, the day was uneventful and great fun. Bubba136, thanks, I couldn't find a reference to thigh boots on Debbie's site in her profile. Has she changed the site or did I not look hard enough?

Some months ago I attended a work related class in Lorain County near Cleveland Ohio. My lodging was a courtyard style motel where each building has 4 suites. I wore a pair of thigh boots with 4" stiletto heels all the time except when I was in class. This included checking in and out, breakfast in the motel dining area, and going out to dinner several times.

While I was there I went to the Cleveland Museum of Art. I have found that the museum crowd has a very broad range of what they will accept. I was wearing a sleeveless turtle neck, light colored slacks, black blazer and boots. The museum guards noticed me (as they should) but hardly anyone else gave any reaction. One guard (female) walked up to me and said “I really love your boots”. I thanked her for the comment but there wasn’t an opportunity for other conversation. I spent a long time standing in front on one of my favorite paintings in the collection, Isabella Brant by Peter Paul Rubens.

http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/artistwork.asp?searchText=Peter+Paul+Rubens&x=3&y=5&tab=1&recNo=0&workRecNo=2

Wow, could that guy paint. The image on the link doesn’t do the painting justice.

Other than a minor slip on the polished stone floor where a heel went to one side :lol: (I took it in stride [sorry about the pun]), the museum visit was great.

For dinner I went to a Max & Ermas (family style chain). The hostess seated me at a booth and I had dinner. I asked the waitress if the boots were too much and she sat down in a chair at a table next to the booth looked at the boots and heel and said, “Well, if you can walk in them…”. I said, “That’s not a problem and they are very comfortable”. She said, “The people out here in the county (Lorain) are very accepting on all life styles and I shouldn’t have any problems”.

The breakfast at the motel was buffet style so I was walking back and forth across the dining area several times to get my food. I was wearing a long sleeved turtle neck, jeans and thigh boots with 4” heels. There was a family with children there and I try to avoid being around children, in case the parents object, so I took a table across the room from them and had my breakfast.

I had a great time on the trip.

Heya TBG, I've got two pair of thigh boots, and the foot section of one is pictured on the left so I do not plan to wander around town wearing them, the other are the flat style.. But thats not my question. I'm wondering how you manage to tuck your pants all the way down the boots if they are not zip up boots? My flat heel boots only have a zip near the ankle to ease putting them on.. Is it a foux pas to wear shorts with thigh boots? (I don't want to say dickie pants.. ) Just curious Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

For the boots with a zipper, I just pull the pants leg down. For the pull on boots, you can wrap the loose cloth of the pant cuff around your leg then pull your sock over the end of the pant leg. This holds the pant leg down very securely. If your wearing hose, the bycicle clip might work :lol: . I haven't worn thigh boots with shorts. I just never thought about it since if it's hot enough for shorts, it's too hot for boots.

I would think that a man wearing thigh high boots with 5" stiletto heels outside their jeans or trousers would be a real attention getter. While most of us think anyone doing this had courage, a lot of us would be uncomfortable doing it. I know I would and I've worn boots with 4" and 4½" heel in public for several years. Although audacious, its still a great way to make a statement.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I tried wearing a pair of court shoes with a 4” heel in public and I found I am more comfortable with the thigh boots than the shoes. There is no doubt about what I am wearing and I’m not trying to hide my shoes. People may wonder why I wearing them but not what I’m wearing. I wore a pair of boots with a 5” blade heel under my jeans with the heel fully exposed and more people stared at them then at the thigh boots. Last night I went to the Sam’s warehouse store again (see my first post, under Thigh Boots on the For the Gals for the first trip). When I was leaving, I asked the clerk at the register (female, late 30s), “Do you think these are too much”? She looked at my boots, I showed her the heel, and she said “Don’t bother me none”. That seems to be the majority attitude I encounter. So far I have only gone into places I think are “safe”. In these places I am paying the people (clerks, waiters, guards…) and they are expected to tolerate the public. I’m a bit of a loner and I don’t enjoy the bar scene. I haven’t gone for a walk downtown in thigh boots with 4-5” heels. But, I have worn my pair with flat heels everywhere. I have heard that from a distance, people see the boots but not the heels. It may also be that the “statement” is so audacious that people are just writing it off. Whatever… It’s fun.

Great boot adventures but I really don't understand why you have to ask people in a restaurant or supermarket if the boots are fine. If they mind, they'll tell you, otherwise it is none of anybodies business what you wear on your feet.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Well Highluc, I think I can understand and sympathise with Thighbootguy's quest for comments on his heels. I remember another street-heeling guy recently posting that one half of him ventured out feeling scared and hoping nobody would notice his high heels, whilst the other half of him was getting impatient and thinking "Why doesn't somebody f...ing well notice my heels!". If Thighbootguy is similar, and especially if he is a bit of a loner, then part of him will be desperate for his high heels to be noticed and admired. His asking outright for comments might seem a bit strange to a very seasoned campaigner like you, but it is a way of trying to get instant acknowledgement, acceptance and even admiration. I can identify with that having had similar feelings myself from time to time over the years. It's probably a very much more innocent version of the feelings that motivate a flasher at a football match - a yearning to get a reaction. I hope for Thighbootguy's sake that he will get many people's favourable reaction to his high heeled boots, as long as he doesn't start bothering people to much or making a fool of himself. Good luck Thighbootguy - keep heeling away, that's the main thing! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan.

Onwards and upwards!

Thigh boots would not be appropriate for business meetings but I wear a variety of ankle boots with 3 or 4 inch heels for business with a smart suit or a jacket. Just take a cue from how a woman would dress. She wouldn't wear thigh boots or fetish type stilettos so the rules are similar. By treading carefully over a peroid of time you can redefine what is suitable business wear for gents in your circles or at least that's what I've found.

I can understand TBG too. I am less adventurous - up to three inch block heels - partly because I live in a v. small town - but it is disappointing in a way when your boots only get a look and no comment. I would reinforce Firefox's advice about business - change slowly and people will come with you. A receptionist said about a pair of new shoes a few months ago that I always like a bit of heel. I don't think she had registered that they were female shoes. However the female student recently attached to the business gave my shoes very many glances but didn't say a thing!

I once walked through the centre of Sheffield in nothing but a lacy catsuit, a pair of hotpants and 5" stiletto patent thigh boots. (Long story) Not a single comment or double take, in fact most people seemed to be making an effort not to look!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dr. Shoe wrote:

Not a single comment or double take, in fact most people seemed to be making an effort not to look!

perhaps they were looking the other way to avoid appearing rude by :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

I appreciated the comments from Highluc, Heelfan, Firefox, B-booted and Dr.Shoe. I had also started to ask myself why I was asking total strangers what they thought of my boots. A large part of it was curiosity. If the responses were too negative I might reconsider what I’m wearing, but so far the response has been surprise and “why not”. Very few disapproving looks. To Heelfan’s concern on me making a fool of myself, I have done that on occasion, but usually not intentionally. I know better than to pester people or to intrude into their space. To Foxfires advice on suitable business wear for gents, the folks I work with schedule major projects so they will not conflict with deer season. I don’t think this bunch is going for heels and I have too much time invested in the retirement system to mess around at work.

On the way home I stopped at Biggs and Sam’s wearing blue jeans, a white shirt and blue thigh boors with 5” heels. Those boots look great with jeans. I didn’t ask anybody what they thought. There were two disapproving looks but that was all the reaction I got. At Sam’s, the checkout line was moving very slowly and the ladies behind me were lightly complaining. I joined into the conversation. There was no mention of my boots, or negative reaction from them just playful bantering about the long checkout line. After I had checked out and was bagging my stuff, the lady that was behind me left and went out of her way to bid me a pleasant evening.

I think people have become more tolerant of what people wear or are willing to make the effort “not to look”. Whatever… I’m having fun wearing boots I have always dreamed (figuratively not literally) of wearing. After walking through two big stores, they still felt great.

You can't leave us hanging with a comment like that, I'm all agog (in fact several gogs!) Speaking as a Sheffield resident, I'd love to know more!

Emma

I was on my way to a "Kinky Gerlinky" along with quite a large group of people (including some real girls) who were all similarly attired!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dr. Shoe wrote:

perhaps they were looking the other way to avoid appearing rude by :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

Without a doubt!

I think that many didn't want to "give-me-the-satisfaction" of staring at me. The great British public for you!

great anecdotes all... I hope to share some (at work now, quick diversion) and also experience more. you're candid stories have made me anxious to zip up and stroll more publicly. two weeks ago, while working late at work on a weekend, I pulled out a pair of suede, 3.75", over-the-knee boots, that fit snugly and have a half zip up the side. I keep all my outfits/shoes/boots at work (private cabinet/locker storage space...I'm closeted still and now married). So, with few noises in the building, I slipped them on at my desk, zipped them up (tight jeans tucked in) over my knee (not quite mid-thigh)...then nervously (very nervously) walked to the printer nearby...then back to my desk (breathless). Then I sasheyed to the mailroom, a bit further but on the same floor. Then back to my desk (breathless but thoroughly titillated). The office building is carpeted, but the stacked wood heel (not chunky, not stiletto) made a solid noise while walking. And the mailroom floor is tile, so I could relish the click, click. Oh, what a great time it was (however brief, panicked at the first sound of someone despite being quite safe). I sat and worked at my desk, feeling the suede, crossing my legs, swinging my booted leg back under my chair to admire the heel from behind. Thanks for being a great audience. I have more adventurous stories (shopping moments, too) when I have more time. Until then. Thanks for sharing! Betsy

Several years ago I was driving home from a trip to Wisconsin and I stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant (home style cooking) for a late lunch. This was before I started wearing thigh boots in public on a regular basis. I had a pair of Tony style U leather boots http://www.howcool.com/tonysshoes/TS-U-L-Q.htmwith me and decided to wear them in the restaurant. I was really nervous about this for several reasons: 1) these boots have a 5” stiletto heel which I had not mastered, 2) I was going to wear them in public, 3) I had absolutely no idea of what reaction I would get.

So, dressed in a blazer, jeans, turtle neck shirt, and crotch boots, I started across the parking lot. This was the first time I had tried walking in these boots other than across a room and I quickly learned I had to take smaller steps. By that time I was closer to the restaurant than my car so I kept going. When I went in, several people noticed what I was wearing, including the hostess (female mid 50s). She didn’t say anything but if I read her expression correctly it was “what am I going to do with this one”. She sat me at a table near the door to the dining room (so she didn’t have to walk me across the dining room) but the boots were clearly visible to everyone that entered the dining room. Several people noticed. There were several business men at the other end of the table that ignored the whole thing. I had a nice lunch and left the dining room.

Cracker Barrel is divided into two parts, an ole time general store, and the dining room. To get to the dining room you have to go through the store and the cask register is in the store. Several people did double takes and stared but no one said a word. I paid my check and walked (sort of) out to the car. That was the longest walk I have ever made in boots. Small steps, and very nervous, I thought the whole clientele was staring out the windows. When I got to the car and turned around, nobody was looking and the world hadn’t stopped so I got in and drove on home.

This adventure took a while to get over but it gave me the nerve to start wearing thigh boots in “safe” public places. Now, I really am having fun wearing them.

Last night I went shopping again but I was in a hurry and didn’t put on my boots. The shopping trip was about the same as when I wear my boots, uneventful. However, the thing I noticed was that I really missed wearing them. I hadn’t expected that. Previously, stopping on the way home was just something I did, now it’s something I really look forward to (I’m not ready to admit that I will intentionally forget to get something so I will have excuse to stop again but…). I don’t think I will be is such a hurry again.

At last the weather has cooled off enough to comfortably wear thigh boots. I can finally start dressing in a style I really like. It looks a lot like this:

Posted Image

I wear a pony tail, but other than that, this is my favorite look.

Here is my second most favorite look:

Posted Image

Wearing a jacket of some kind seems to balance the appearance of the boots.