Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I don't mind the color of TBG's shirt, I rather like it. It's the style of the shirt that I find offputting.

Yep, it's a great color, not so great a style.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Agree with Shafted and JeffB, TBG. I know you spent a fortune on the top, but maybe you can take it back. The color is fine, but it's way too frilly/silly. It just doesn't work on you. I don't have as much of a problem with the miniskirt, but it does look kind of odd with boots this time of year. We're just a few days from summer, and temps have already been near 90 on a couple days. Go back to those pumps you wore recently. They were really nice on you and much better suited for summer weather. Just my $0.02 Steve

Do I dare say, to dress the body we have and not the body we want.

So much wisdom in so few words.

Thanks

Folks - thanks for all the comments. I was wondering about the style of the top, ans posting here is a good way to get honest feedback. It is appreciated.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I donated the pink top to a thrift store. (The comments were appreciated.) It has become a little too warm (mid 80F 23C) to wear leather boots for very long, even knee high ones. I have been running around wearing black leggings, and black fabric knee high boots with 4” block heels (Payless from several seasons ago), and a long T-shirt. The fabric boots really are a lot physically cooler than the leather ones, but they look good and are fun to wear. I have been shopping at my usual haunts, and been to the nail salon. I also spent several days with my friend in the hospital (minor complication, she is doing well). After a day or two, the hospital staff (apart from my friend’s nurses and doctors) began to recognize me and asking me how things were going. I didn’t notice this for other support folks. I guess sometimes it pays to be unique. :wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I've read about your "outings" on and off for awhile. You definitely seem to have a routine of visiting the same places or similar types of places. Maybe these are your "safe" places. Of courses I could be off cause I haven't read all posts in this thread. Its seems like more than anything, you want to be noticed, not really caring if the comments or looks are positive in nature. Do you feel like that if your not wearing your heels that you go through life anonymously without anyone really noticing you? Is wearing heels your way of "participating" or "making your mark" in life? I know a few women that are attention seekers. And there is nothing worse for them than to just be one of the crowd. For them it seems rooted in or connected to self esteem. I dated a guy once that was really into wearing heels privately. He never aspired to wear them out. But I was always curious about the psychological nature of his heel fetish. Jenny

Just Jenny

I donated the pink top to a thrift store. (The comments were appreciated.)

It has become a little too warm (mid 80F 23C) to wear leather boots for very long, even knee high ones. I have been running around wearing black leggings, and black fabric knee high boots with 4” block heels (Payless from several seasons ago), and a long T-shirt. The fabric boots really are a lot physically cooler than the leather ones, but they look good and are fun to wear.

I have been shopping at my usual haunts, and been to the nail salon. I also spent several days with my friend in the hospital (minor complication, she is doing well). After a day or two, the hospital staff (apart from my friend’s nurses and doctors) began to recognize me and asking me how things were going. I didn’t notice this for other support folks. I guess sometimes it pays to be unique.

:wavey:

Well, I hope that pink top will find a new home. Heh!

So, too hot even for you to wear thigh boots, eh? Shocking! HA!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jenny;

Its seems like more than anything, you want to be noticed, not really caring if the comments or looks are positive in nature. Do you feel like that if your not wearing your heels that you go through life anonymously without anyone really noticing you? Is wearing heels your way of "participating" or "making your mark" in life?

Thank you for the most interesting question. It’s actually one I have been asking myself for a long long time. The answer is: "It Depends." Upon what is depends on is still a mystery to me. One of my goals in life is to evaporate; just being the shadow that wasn’t there when you looked. On the other hand, I play guitar, wear boots, skirts, and heels all in public and very much appreciates the attention and positive feedback I get. For both positive and negative feedback, I consider the source before I take either seriously, but if the source is not just trying to be inflammatory, I take the feedback seriously.

As to why I have chosen to occasionally wear women’s boots, heels, and skirts as opposed to men’s tailored business suits, biker’s leathers, jeans and T-shirt, or any other style of dressing is also a bit of a mystery to me. I’m long past where boots and skirts were arousing, so I have to look elsewhere for a reason. Part of the reason is the Thighbootguy personae I described in Thighboots in public #2771 and the problems it presented (and still presents) for me. Another part of the reason is the need for having something cool to post on hhplace (also mentioned in the above link). I’m also sure part of the reason is my ever changing hormonal mix that sometimes swings to the fem side. Lastly, I do like the look of boots and skirts on me. I could change all this stuff if I wanted to (except the last one) but I’m not unhappy where I am.

Although I am comfortable with what I wear, it is still a challenge to walk out the door knowing that I am presenting a “non-traditional” look for a guy. It is fun meeting that challenge, and it is a confidence boost every time I do it. (How many times have I posted that you have to present a confident image and the confidence comes with practice?)

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble but writing helps the thinking.

Changing Subjects

Sunday I went to a Celtic harp concert that a local group presented in a nearby church (the one in the background in some of my pictures). I wore black leggings, a black top and blazer, and black fabric knee high boots with 4” block heels. I walked in with and sat by the minister who was cool with what I was wearing. I chatted with the harpists about the instruments. I had never seen one up close and both the woodworking and the mechanics of the instruments were fascinating and the harpists were proud to show off the instruments to someone that was really interested (even a guy wearing boots).

Later that night I met a group of guitar players in an outdoor picnic venue. I didn’t wear the blazes or boots. The blazer was way overdressing for the event and the boots were a little more than I was ready to present to this group.

I like this discussion, as I always think that you have to feel comfortable in what ever you wear. I would struggle to feel comfortable in those short skirts. I certainly admire your efforts however. I have tries some short skirts in the fall and winter where some tights or leggings let me feel more "covered". see Blue below. In the summer though, I gravitate to the longer skirts as in the other picture. Loose linen skirt I were here with knee boots. Also with longer skirts you don't have to worry how you sit and what is "exposed". That in itself helps me to relax and enjoy what I am doing in my somewhat unconventional garb for a 6'5" 50ish old man. Oh, and I love thermodynamics - the principles and math even applies to social and economic behavior.

post-571-0-30194500-1372705679_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-23847900-1372705694_thumb.jpg

I think we all have certain items we like to wear and feel good wearing. I have my make up and platform boots, others have thigh boots, and others have skirts and so on. This is a fashion site, so everybody brings something unique to the table. Most of the things we try to wear were made for men in the first place, now we have to explain to the public why we wear it, just because its out of fashion for our gender. I might be way off base, but I think fashion is about what is coming out next. We can't evolve if dress in the same old boring outfits society expents us to wear.

I was in a doctors office and picked up the April issue of Vanity Fair. To my utter surprise there was a review of the musical Kinky Boots which is now playing on Broadway. I had no idea it was a current musical.

Kinky Boots trailer

I think we all have certain items we like to wear and feel good wearing. I have my make up and platform boots, others have thigh boots, and others have skirts and so on. This is a fashion site, so everybody brings something unique to the table. Most of the things we try to wear were made for men in the first place, now we have to explain to the public why we wear it, just because its out of fashion for our gender. I might be way off base, but I think fashion is about what is coming out next. We can't evolve if dress in the same old boring outfits society expents us to wear.

Well said! Couldn't have put that any better myself. While I've yet to explain why I choose to wear skirts in public as a male, the simple fact is that no matter what gender you happen to be, you should be allowed to wear what makes you feel good. As long as you present a tasteful, appropriate image for whatever surroundings you happen to be in, why shouldn't you wear what you like?

I just noticed I had not included a picture of the outfit I wore to the Celtic harp concert. I have gone out a couple times in a similar outfit. Here is one with a pink top.

post-530-0-35948900-1373398118_thumb.jpg

Pumpcat’s observation is most interesting. It is established that many branches on any evolution tree wind up dying for one reason or another, but their demise defies prediction and the branches often reemerge. Who knows what will evolve in the world of fashion. However, I think many of the contributors to this site (myself included) are more interested in being mentally comfortable with themselves in the image they want to present rather than setting a fashion trend. I seriously doubt if thigh boots with 5” stilettos are going to catch on as a guy’s fashion (and probably not as a gal’s fashion).

I do agree with Pumpcat’s idea that “We can't evolve if [we] dress in the same old boring outfits society expects us to wear”. There are lots of folks “pushing the limits” besides us heelers. Young people used to push the limits of what their parents would accept because there were parents putting on limits. Today, with society being more accepting, there may be fewer limits to push against. Who knows what is going to catch on.

The ground rule of evolution is "the survival of the fittest", so in the spirit of this site, find the fittest shoe and wear it.

Folks, Thanks for the kind words. I do kind of like that outfit. I had an interesting experience this afternoon. I had gone to a Kroger’s supermarket for a couple of items and I was wearing a grey T-shirt, denim shorts, nude hose, and crocks (yeah I know TBG wearing crocks). A lady, in one of the powered handicap shopping carts, cruised towards me and asked if I was a swimmer. I said I wasn’t. She then asked if I was a biker and again I said I wasn’t. and we went our separate ways. A few minutes later she cruised up again and said, “I’m sorry for asking, but how do you get your legs so smooth?” I said, “It’s the hose.” She said, “No not that, how do you get your legs that smooth?” I said, “It’s natural, I don’t do anything to them.” She said she was envious. I then had to ask three clerks where hose were shelved. When I finally found them I made a selection and the lady cruised by again and explained that she was on some pain medication that made her very talkative and she was sorry is she had offended me. I said, “Of course not… normally I’d be wearing thigh boots with 5” stilettos” and indicated the height on my leg. She looked at me with surprise and said, “That would be awesome!” We bid each other a good afternoon and I headed for the checkout register. :wavey:

Hey tbg, isn't it cool when you get positive attention! One thing we have in common is: we are able to dress the way we want to. And its icing on the cake when we get compliments from women. Especially ones that aren't into fashion. Awesome.

I went to a Martin sponsored presentation at the Cincinnati Guitar Center. I have never been to this store before so I thought I’d do it right. I wore a black open neck top, denim shorts, black blazer, nude hose and black fabric knee high boots with 3” block heels. Considering most of the guys at this show were about my age but in flannel shirts, I stood out in the crowd. No one seemed to care especially since I was able to talk guitar with them. I think the black leggings are a better look. The black boots on nude hose covered legs is quite a contrast, and contrast attracts attention. But the outfit was comfortable in the 80F weather. Part of the presentation was a video of a workman hand cutting the bracing on a Martin guitar top. They estimate he has cut about 100,000 tops. He used a flat chisel that was razor sharp and free hand cut the bracing. He used no templates and did no measurements. The presenter said that when the braces were measured, they were within a few hundreds of an inch of each other. After the presentation most of us tried playing the collection of a dozen Martin custom shop guitars ($4,000 - $11,000 instruments). There were a couple good players and it was a treat to hear them play. After I left the show I stopped at a Sam’s that was in the same shopping complex. I hadn’t been in this store for years. The stop was uneventful. I stopped at the local liquor store on the way home. Again it was uneventful. :wavey:

Sounds like an interesting outing you had, TBG. Given how hot and humid it's been around here over the last month or so, the notion of wearing hosiery would NEVER occur to me, but I'm glad that worked out well for you. Keep on keeping on, my friend!

I had a fun day Friday. The Queen City Balladeers put on the first in a series of their 50th anniversary concerts. This year we moved the concert indoors to the Cincinnati Art Museum. I volunteered to work in the stage crew; lugging sound equipment, and setting up the microphones for each act. These are somewhat informal concerts where we change acts while the M.C. is thanking the pervious act and announcing the next act with an open curtain so the stage crew is in front of the audience.

I wore jeans, a black T-shirt, my black blazer (when on stage), black sweat band, and black fabric knee high boots with 3”block heels. I did take my guitar to test the sound system before the performer’s sound checks.

I arrived at the museum at 4:00 PM and started setting up the sound gear. The sound checks started around 6:30 PM and the concert started at 8:00 PM and ran till 10:00 when we had to tear it all down again. I don’t think I sat down for more than 30 minutes the whole time. I also walked over to our old venue, a couple of blocks away, before the concert to direct any folks that had gone to the old location. By the time I got home I was ready to take off my boots.

The show was great. We featured one of the Balladeers members and four other local professional groups. My friend from Oxford was one of the performers and it was really great to see and hear her again (I got a couple of hugs).

I didn’t notice any odd looks or second glances from anyone but with this audience at this venue I didn’t expect any.

I had a great time and we have three more concerts to go in the series. If anyone is in the area stop by (It's free).

• 2 weeks later...

We had another Balladeers performance Friday and I worked as stage crew again. I wore the same outfit; jeans, black T-shirt, black headband, and black fabric knee high boots with 3” block heels. I had the black blazer with me but it was too uncomfortable (warm) to wear it. We started at 4:00 PM and finished around 10:30 PM with only about 20 minutes off my feet. The hall is air conditioned but when I walked outside, the temperature was 85F and it had just rained so it felt like walking into a sauna. No one seemed concerned with my footwear. We did reset the stage between performers with an open curtain so I was on stage a bit. Sunday, I headed to the movies (Star Trek 2). I left the house wearing a black headband, a stretch sky blue short sleeved top, a denim vest, a short kaki short, nude hose, black leather long strap purse, and black sandals with kitten heels. When I got to the theater I changed my mind and pulled on my royal blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. Since I only had to walk from the parking lot to the theater, the temperature was not an issue. Inside the theater the air condition was working overtime, I was glad I had them on. I got a nice smile from a lady in the lobby. On the way home I changed back into the black sandals and stopped at a drug store to pick up a prescription. The folks are used to seeing me wearing a skirt so it was a non-event. The short skort, hose and T-shirt are a comfortable combination is this warm weather. :wavey: Sorry Pumpcat, no pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out a good bit since my last post. The Balladeers had two more concerts where I worked on the stage crew. I wore the same outfit, jeans, black fabric knee high boots with 4” block heels, black T-shirt and black blazer. The audience and other Balladeers now expect me to be wearing boots. For the last two shows I went out to the lobby for an hour before the show, opened my guitar case and practiced the age old art of busking. I put a sign in the case, “Please donate to the Queen City Balladeers” (I didn’t get to keep the money). I got about $50 over both nights. Not a big take, but its money we wouldn’t have otherwise gotten. I got some complements on my playing but not a word about busking in boots. I had a blast busking and was surprised that no one in this group of guitar players had ever thought of doing that before. I’ve been shopping a couple of times wearing a short skort (try saying that three times fast), nude hose, and black leather OTK boots with 3” stilettos and a couple of times with my blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The car and the stores are air-conditioned so the warm weather wasn’t too much of an issue. The short skort is very comfortable, but it seems to generate more attention than jeans. It is probably the higher contrast generated by leg and boots than jeans and boots that make people first notice, but it may be that it’s a guy wearing a skort that caused the attention. I did notice a few folks taking notice (and parents explaining to their kids). I was out of ear-shot of any comments. I’ve also been out a couple of times wearing black leggings, a long t-shirt, and the black fabric boots. I wore that while taking my friend for a chemo treatment. The staff at the treatment center expects me to be wearing boots but my friend’s sister was with us and she had no reaction at all (that’s a good thing). I pretty sure the sisters have discussed my liking to wear boots. I haven't managed any pictures. :wavey:

I was out again wearing a kaki short skort, nude hose, grey T-shirt, and black leather OTK boots with a 3”stiletto heel. I stopped at Staples (office supply store) for a printer ink cartridge. This was the first time I have been in this store. I noticed a couple of glances when I walked in, but that is expected. However, the sales clerk in the printer area, took several long glances at my footwear. I didn’t acknowledge his glances; rather, I went right on asking questions about printers and ink. I think he was genuinely befuddled at seeing a guy in a skort, hose, and boots that was asking serious questions about printers. I spent over 30 minutes wandering around before I went to the register. I also stopped at a nearby Payless. They had a pair of fuchsia faux suede peep toe pumps in an 12W with a 5½”-6” heel and a ½“ platform. They were on sale so I thought why not. I tried on the right one and it fit perfectly. I was ready to head for the register when something said try the other one. Keep in mind I’m wearing OTK boots so trying on shoes in a bit more of a challenge. Anyway, the left one didn’t fit at all. I couldn’t even get my foot in it. I was quite disappointed but I learned two things: my left foot is larger than my right one, and always try on both shoes. I had better luck at a Goodwill where I found a pair of 12W pink peep toe pumps with a 3½“ stiletto heel. post-530-0-78895900-1375815013_thumb.jpg I don’t really like peep toe styles but the price was right and both shoes fit. I continued shopping, looking for a top to go with the shoes. I notices a young lady taking a couple of glances my way while she was also looking at tops. I laughed and said, “What do you think would go with these?” and held up the pumps. She smiled and said, there is a whole section of pink and red right here. I found one and we bid each other a good day. It wasn’t until I got home that I discovered I had a knit sleeveless dress that went well with the pumps. I needed to go to the bank so I tried the combination. I didn’t go in, rather, I used the drive through, but I did walk outside going to and from the car. I’ve mentioned before that I’m really more comfortable in boots than pumps. post-530-0-88450900-1375815002_thumb.jpg I have also been going to a Balladeers informal meeting in Sharon Woods (very nice county park, north of Cincinnati). A group of us get together with instruments and take over one of the picnic shelters and play for about 3 hours. I have been wearing black leggings, a long T-shirt, and brown fabric knee high boots with a flat heel. We have a great time and no one cares about my footwear. I haven’t worn a skirt yet, and I may not with this group. I think I know their limits. :wavey:

Well, I was mildly surprised that you went and bought a pair of pumps, given how you've said more than a few times that you're not at ease wearing them. But hey, the more you do something unfamiliar at first, the more comfortable you inevitably become. The dress you paired with the new shoes was interesting to say the least, but I thought the combination was a good one. As for wearing a skirt with that group you mentioned, I think you made the right choice.

You look quite good in the dress and heels! I do some fashion design on a part-time basis, and know when things are paired together perfectly. You got it down! Keep posting your outings. You and jeffb have given me the courage to wear knee-high boots over tight pants every day. I very rarely wear shoes any more. Tall boots are just so sexy. No wonder all the girls wear them from fall to spring. Keep up the good work!

Looks like a nice combo on you with the dress and the peep toe pumps, Thighbootguy. I like to wear peep toe pumps because I can show of my red pedi to the world with my heels. It's always with what you are comfortable wearing. With you it's thigh high boots and with me pumps, peep toes and sandals this summer. Happy Heeling, bluejay

• 2 weeks later...

My friend is back in the hospital (and doing well), which means I’ve been spending my time at the hospital (day and night). I have been wearing black leggings, a variety of different tops (including a long sleeved red turtleneck and a black sleeveless turtleneck), black fabric knee high boots with a 4” block heel, and brown fabric knee high boots with a flat heel. A few of the hospital’s other visitors have given me a second glance but nothing more than that. Most just go about their business, and occasionally I get a “have good day”.

I have also started to let my beard grow again. It’s now all gray. It provides an interesting juxtaposition to the fermium slant I like to present. Many years ago I mentioned to JeffB that his beard detracted from the image he wanted to present, and I will keep my own advice in mind, but I thought I’d have another go at it. This may reflect my change in attitude about how I present myself.

On the way home from the hospital (to feed the cats), I stopped in a Payless. I was wearing black leggings, sleeveless black turtleneck, crocks, and a short black leather skirt (wasn’t wearing the skirt at the hospital as my friend is not comfortable with that look). I tried on a pair of Karmen pumps with a 3” heel and thought they looked good and were comfortable.

Posted Image

I then went over to PetCo in the same mall and bought some cat food and took it to my car, the headed back to Payless and tried on the pumps again, bought them and wore them home. The staff was friendly and helpful as usual.

I haven’t had a chance to visit many of my usual haunts or to go out with my thigh boots, but the situation changes daily and I keep a pair in the car for whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Folks: Thanks for the comments on the last image I posted, but as I noted, I didn’t get out of the car wearing the dress and pumps. I’m still not comfortable with that presentation, but as Yogi Beara said, “ninety percent of the game is half mental”.