High heel shopping in Amsterdam

Kipsu15

Depends on your size. If you are above 42 it gets difficult but there are a few shops. Below that size there are streets full of shoe shops. For expensive fashionable ones you could look in the Bijenkorf (at Dam square) at the second floor. (only up to 41/42) Cynthia (Leidsestraat) and Cinderella (Kalverstraat) may have some in size 43. For other sizes they are quite decent as well. Medium cheap shoes can be gotten at van Haren in the Nieuwstraat (to 41/42). The very cheap shops you better look up in the internet. One chain is "Bristol". For big sizes one shop is Stravers, Overtoom 127. They go up to size 48. They have a lot of expertise selling those shoes to men so there is no reason to be shy. Men are actually the majority of customers buying those big sizes. I hope you have a nice time and good weather. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

As Yozz said.... Stravers is a 'proper' shoeshop. Bought recently a pair of good quality boots there (approx 300 quid, where on sale for 200). Can find loads of shoeshops on the kalverstraat though. Don't expect large sizes if you need it.

My username changes every now and then on here. God knows why.

A nice trip would be to start at the Bijenkorf (Dam square), then walk through the Kalverstraat, not quite to the end, make a right turn into the Heiligeweg and then follow into the Leidsestraat. We recently counted and the Leidsestraat has 15 shoe shops. In total you may pass more than 25 shoe shops in that walk. Y.

If you are talking that league, you should visit another street. The really fancy shopping street is the P.C.Hooft straat. There is a shop there that sells Louboutins. It is at the corner where the P.C.Hooft straat intersects the van Baerlestraat. It is not exclusively a shoe shop. They will not have the whole assortment. Y.

Is BigShoe at Leliegracht still in business?

Greetings Hans.

Last time I walked by they were still there, but that is a good part of a year ago.

They are still in the phone book.

You could have a look at their web site: www.bigshoe.nl

Y.

• 1 month later...

I'm suprised there are not more shops doing larger womens sizes in Amsterdam, as far as i know (and i stand to be corrected) aren't dutch women supposed to be the tallest (on average) in the world so by that reckoning a fair majority would take a larger than average size....just a thought.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

I'm suprised there are not more shops doing larger womens sizes in Amsterdam, as far as i know (and i stand to be corrected) aren't dutch women supposed to be the tallest (on average) in the world so by that reckoning a fair majority would take a larger than average size....just a thought.

Maybe there are many more, but I just don't know about them. For myself I don't need that as I wear size 39-40. My wife though needs 42 and we have been looking and there are shops with 42-43 but we did not find too many. Have a look at Cynthia and Cinderella (one in the Kalverstraat and the other in the Leidse straat or the other way around). They have some shoes in 43 and even some in 44. But of course there are also the shops in the red light district, but that is a style that does not attract us very much. They do go to big sizes.

We had the impression that in Berlin it is easier to find sizes like 43.

Y.