IRN-BRU

Has anyone ever drunk IRN-BRU? There's a radio story about it at:http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1416043.html

Although I've visited Scotland several times, I can't remember ever being aware of this prticular soft drink.

Posted Image

"I'm very thirsty!

I'm thirsty too!

Here's the drink that's made for you -

Barr's Irn-Bru."

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

We have something in South Africa called "Iron Brew" and I have always wondered if its the same thing or similar to the Irn-Bru. Its actually quite nice in a sickish sweet way. Its a kinda redish colour and bottled locally. Does taste like the root beer you get in the USA either. Is Iron Brew anywhere else??

Scottish IRN-BRU tastes sweet fuit flavoured, a combination between Tizer, Dandelion and Burdock and Dr Peppers. It's made from girders by the way :lol: An excellent drink for rotting your teeth, putting on the lbs, and has next to no nutiritional value.

Oh Firefox! How could you? I was going to say all of what you've just said(including that it is made from girders or gurrrdurrrs to be more Scottish) but you stole my thunder by getting there first. I am fairly sure that during my trips to bagpipeland, I was drinking Iron-bru rather than Irn-bru. Maybe it's two different brands(?). Islebeeseeingyuh! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Indeed there is, though I suspect you can make the same thing for 1/5 of the price by getting a big 2 litre bottle of IRN-Bru and mixing it with shots of cheap vodka from Tescos. It's definitely IRN-Bru though I have seen it mispelt and mis-said as "iron-brew".

I haven't had the chance to try that brew as yet,but keep your eyes open for "V".

It's a Kiwi drink that should be in the French and Brit stores about now.It's an aquired taste and is rather sharp but "Think of it as your mid-afternoon wake-up call."

Posted Image

"V" (made by Frucor Foods New Zealand Ltd) is one of the new age style energy drinks. They claim that V:

improves mental alertness

enhances concentration

rapidly replenishes energy levels

provides natural energy boost

vitalises body and mind

An energy drink made with B Vitamins and Guarana obviously isn't for everyone,but we like it...

jim

"V" is a new one on me! Once again, I've visited various cities (Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland, among others) -- admittedly not in the past 10 years, though -- I've never heard of it. So, I've looked it up and here's what I found (actually its more information that any normal person ever wanted to know about "V") Energy Drink - "V" by Caroline Seawright November 19, 2000 V - Vitalise Body and Mind? An energy drink made from B Vitamins and Guarana (a dried paste made from the seeds of a Brazilian climbing shrub ((Paullinia cupana)) containing tannin and caffeine and used in making an astringent drink) obviously isn't for everyone. People allergic to caffeine should stay away, too. (The bottle has a warning - 'V contains caffeine at levels found in an average cup of coffee, so is not suitable for children or persons sensitive to caffeine'.) The taste is an acquired one. But it's my favourite drink since I started drinking the stuff! V (made by Frucor Foods New Zealand Ltd) is one of the new age style energy drinks. They claim that V: improves mental alertness enhances concentration rapidly replenishes energy levels provides natural energy boost vitalises body and mind I've been drinking the stuff for ages. I don't actually know if it does any of the above or not... I just know that I'm addicted to it! I need at least one 350ml bottle a day (though a small can will do!) Thank goodness the supermarkets are selling the cans in 4 packs! That'll last me nearly one working week, for a heck of a lot less than buying the can singly... I just hope they start selling the bottles in lots of four! As to how V tastes. It's got a tang to it, and it reminds people either of medicine or apples. It's probably the tang that you taste, when you take your first sip out of your can or bottle, that wakes you up more than anything! "Think of it as your mid-afternoon wake-up call." Well, I think of it as my morning wake-up call, because it's the first think I drink after breakfast. A bottle, though, can last me all day... B vitamins supposedly help one deal with stress... maybe that's why I drink it. I do HTML programming for a living, and it can be a nightmare at times! That's probably why a few of us, here at the office, are addicted to V... People tell me that I should ring up the company and see if I can order a slab of V at a time.... and one day, I might just do it! Nutritional Information Energy 190kJ Carbohydrate 11.2g Fat nil Protein nil Riboflavin (B2) 0.49mg Niacin (B3) 2.9mg Vitamin B6 0.46mg Vitamin B12 0.57µg Pantothenic Acid 0.7mg For more information on V, see Frucor Foods New Zealand Ltd. (so much for "V")

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Irn Bru - brings back some memories I have it on good authority from a former manager that the scots drink Irn Bru on the morning after a heavy session on the whisky to sober up :lol: This is probably why the alcopop Guinness were bottling on one of my visits to the Runcorn plant bombed big time (Who on earth wants Whisky and Irn Bru mixed? ) I also remember on my first trip to the USA we flew from Glasgow (cos it was cheap!) and entering the terminal in stage of rebuilding we saw lots of orange girders. My mate then immediately said - look its the Irn Bru factory!! I do remember though that the international terminal was 2 portakabins (and no girders!) Hang on though - where are the heels?

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

It's a large steel component of a (usually) major bridge or building often fabricated from smaller pieces of metal. Eg Truss Girder, Plate Girder etc In the 19th C, they were often made of other materials eg Wrought Iron, Cast Iron.

"V" would not have been on the market when you last visited here Bubba.This product was launched about 5 yrs ago...or there abouts.

This stuff seems to help, energy wise. It’s no miracle drink, but if towards the end of the day I find myself running on empty, a can or two does take the edge of my fatigue.

BTW....did you ever try Posted Image while you were here? It goes real well with whiskey..

jim

The main ingredients of V are water, sugar (sucrose/glucose syrup/whatever else they try to disguise it as) and advertising hype. This enables them to sell "water" at £1.00 a can of just 250ml, effectively 3 or 4 times the price of coca cola which has almost identical ingredients. Put it this way, would you pay £1.00 ($1.60) for a 250ml can of coke? That's the new age/isotonic/mineral hype effect for you, which inflates the market price. Of course it gives you energy. There's 10 lumps of sugar dissolved in each can and sugar is a pure form of energy. In practice that's what grandma's lemonade was made of. Water, sugar, and minimal plant extract favourings (ie citric acid (lemon juice)). Actually, would you believe citric acid is also the next largest ingredient of V after water and sugar. Frucor foods are laughing all the way to the bank! I can't deny it's not a pleasant drink, and it's also very effectively packaged. In fact it's just as nice as Grandma's lemonade, but Grandma didn't charge £1.00 for 250ml :lol:

Firefox wrote:

It's a large steel component of a (usually) major bridge or building often fabricated from smaller pieces of metal.

Oh, that kind of girder. I thought it might be a "UKism" for some kind of sandwich -- like some "subs" are called "grinders" in Philadelphia or Boston, or some northeastern US cities, or, perhaps, some other euphuism.

Or is it scottish humour? BTW Irn-Bru is made by Barrs who also bottle Orangina and Tizer. I know this because I used to collect up to 10 pallets of the stuff from their warehouse in Walthamstow, East London.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Or is it scottish humour?

BTW Irn-Bru is made by Barrs who also bottle Orangina and Tizer. I know this because I used to collect up to 10 pallets of the stuff from their warehouse in Walthamstow, East London.

That must have been one hell of a thirst Dr Shoe :lol:

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Dr. Shoe was trying to corner the market :rofl: (geeeeeesssss! 10 pallets at a time. Must have filled up the garage in a hurry :lol: )