Ideas to help the transition to public heeling

Walkonit

Based on a answer I gave to a friend recently I thought it would be a good idea to try to collect opinions on how to make the jump from private to public heeling a little bit easier. For me it was a "major step" to take and took me 15 years or more of private heeling before I finally plucked up the courage to go public 2 years ago. The stories all over the forum repeat again and again that nobody seems to notice. It really is true ! This single fact helped me to get there, but it took a number of intermediate steps to reach it. I thought it may be useful to write down those intermediate stages to help others overcome the daunting prospect of going public. The starting point assumes you already have your own heels, like to use them, but are so far totally unwilling to be seen by anybody else. My ideas are:

- Use dark colored boots under jeans as they are least conspicous.

- Make sure the heel height is low enough that you can walk smoothly and properly in them. try the 2 cm heel raise test if you are unsure (can you lift your heel off the ground by 2cm by standing on your toes ?)

- Make sure you pick somewhere where nobody will recognise you.

- Use your car as a starting point.

Stage 1) Standing around: Try a car park after dark and just stand by your car and pretend to be busy doing something like texting from your mobile phone. Standing in heels is less daunting than walking in them. Stick around until a few people have passed by. You will soon see that they don't notice you. Another slightly tougher suggestion is filling your car with petrol at a self service station where you have a cash point on the pump.

Stage 2) Walking around: I would say the next thing to try is walking around at a distance from people. Again this can be done in a supermarket car park with a phone. You can increase the distance from the car as your courage builds. This also improves your walking skills, allows you to better understand which heels you are capable of wearing and walking a reasonable distance in. It also gives you a new respect for women that wear high heels all day.

Stage3) Getting closer: Achieving a walk with no bail out option is a good next stage. Here strangers will appear and you have no option but to walk past them to reach your car. A good example is filling petrol and paying for it at the shop instead of at the pump.

Stage 4) True public heeling: A supermarket is a good place to start this stage as you can use a trolley to support yourself if needed and also to hide behind when your courage wanes. A supermarket is a lot of fun because finally its real heeling in public. You can control how how near other people are and whether you expose yourself in full view or hide behind your trolley. You can disappear around the corners between the aisles and spend as much time as you want. As your courage grows you can try to get reactions out of people by for example walking more loudly, lifting your heel to inspect it or to remove the piece of fruit you "accidently" speared in the fruit and veg section, putting your heels close to the face of people bending down to get something from a lower shelf. The options are endless.

Beyond this its just more and more fun as you keep pushing your personal boudaries and get out and about in town and use more interesting and more obvious heels.

What do others think ?

What suggestions do you have ?

Actually, most of those ideas are exactly the way not to do it!

The best way is to go into a very busy place. You will NOT be noticed in a busy place. I know this freaks most people out but if you were scurrying about in the dark and someone did notice, then you are about 1000% more likely to be picked on.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The best way is to go into a very busy place. You will NOT be noticed in a busy place. I know this freaks most people out but if you were scurrying about in the dark and someone did notice, then you are about 1000% more likely to be picked on.

I agree, but it took me a while to get to the stage of busy public heeling. For me at least it would have been too big a leap to make in one go and I would still be heeling at midnight in a deserted car park.

Perhaps a case of different strokes for different folks.

An example of the kind of public heel wearing that will cause no comment at all. A little while ago I drove up to the St Pancras area of London one evening, parked, walked to a restaurant, met and dined with a friend, then we walked to a classical concert nearby and finally back to the car. This was through a mix of busy and quiet streets, busy mainline stations and a concert hall. Not even sure if my friend noticed I was wearing heels. If she did, she didn't give any indication. I'm pretty sure nobody else noticed. What was I wearing? Black boots with thin block heels (about an inch square), just under 3 inches high, slightly elongated toes, under smart black cord trousers which left most of the heel visible when standing still. Wearing this sort of heel would be entirely smart and conservative for a woman to wear about town. And so it felt for me as a man. All credit to those guys who wear more exuberant heels out and about but that's not really my style.

For the very first few outtings, go somewhere late at night for a totter around which is quiet and safe. You may see someone on the other side of the road but they are unlikely to notice your heels, other than maybe the noise they make on the pavement. Just being outside wearing heels can be enough to boost your confidence and give you an unbelievable buzz!!!

After that, once you want to go out in the day time, Dr. Shoe is spot on. It's so much easier to walk from one end of Oxford Street to the other when it's crowded at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and not get noticed than it is to do your weekly shopping at the supermarket.

By the way, whenever I take a trip up to London, the nerve-wracking part of the journey is the walk from my car to the underground station. This is because it's a quite suburban area and the locals probably aren't as used to see a guy in 4" stilettoes as the punters in Covent Garden, Camden Town or Soho are.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I have to totally agree with Dr Shoe on this one, I found that out at night in a quiet location I was more worried about what people would think I was doing, hanging around behaving strangely, and you are more than likely to bump into someone returning from the pub, who is "Brave" on alcohol. At busy places, I fell a lot more relaxed and dont care what people think, and I have had far fewer people notice in busy places than in quiet ones. The point about low heeled boots to start with is valid and would be advice I would pass on.

The point about low heeled boots to start with is valid and would be advice I would pass on.

Absolutely. No harm in starting with 2" block heels (or cowboy boots if you're into that sort of footwear) which nobody is ever going to notice.

My advice would be to start with lower heels, cowboy boots say, and go to busy commercial districts. If you have a "bohemian" area near you then this would be a great place to start.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Had I loved to wear cowboy boots in a ranching environment, I would've fit right in wearing up to 5" heels in the cowboy styling. I wouldn't have to worry about being labeled some derogatory way of life, however, I would be expected to become proficient in the cowboy way of life. But alas, I am a citified guy, who has desires to wear stilettos. No getting around it, heels have been the footwear women have been sportin' for as long as I can remember. So as a guy, wearing stilettos in the kind of atmosphere that existed a couple of decades ago, guaranteed I'd be view in a less than honorable way. The world has changed since then and there are more people familiar with or know something about alternative lifestyles. This means they may not be as ready to pounce on a guy for wearing high heels. As more males are seen wearing stilettos, the easier it will be for any guy to wear any shoe he chooses. Isn't this the goal we want to ultimately have for everyone, instead of having to look over our shoulders feeling the unwarranted guilty as we fulfil the desire with in us for our personal adornment? So guys! Go heelng in the footwear you choose and walk in the joy and peace that is yours to have, no matter what the opinion of others may be.

In general I'd say the comments are correct. My advice to newbie public heelers is to think strongly about going out in a boot or bootie. Between the wider block heel, and the extra ankle support, you're much better prepared for your first steps out. No matter now much you've walked inside, walking outside is SO much different. You're going to encounter lots of difference surfaes (you could have hardwood, tile, carpet, marble all within in a few of feet of each other). Even just walking from your car to the entrance could be challenging, you'll likely come across uneven surfaces, stones, puddles, and other obstacles. All of this can be challenging enough to a new heeler, without unnecessarily introducing the difficulty of trying to do it in a shoe with a thin stilletto heel. I agree with Dr Shoe. Although at first thought, it would seem that going someplace isolated is the best place, the fact is in reality that's probably next to impossible. If you can get true isolate, it's great. But if even one other person is around, then all of a sudden you can become the focus of them. If you're wearing heels that make noise, it's going to be pretty obvious that the only source of that noise is you. A crowded location is really much better.

I bought a pair of boots, they have a sturdy heel. I would have liked a Cuban heel as it is less noticeable. I covered by boots with my trousers and walked daytime and did a bout 5 kilometers in all. A total of four people did notice, but were far too polite to say anything. Busy is definitely better than quite where you potentially are on a one to one basis, but as your confidence increases, that does not worry you too much. You biggest problem lies between your ears, your personal confidence, but if no one is going to recognize you, then trust in that. Cheers

Blacksheep

This is true. It's really just a head game with yourself. I'll bet many here can remember the early days of mastering a higher heel height at home and then bumbling on them the first time in a public setting without understanding what happened? For me, it was my inner self telling me that I'm doing something that's even less 'normal' for a man in society. My stress level increased and my body reacted by my muscles tightening up. I've since convinced my inner self that there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing. It took some practice but I accomplished this. Now I don't even think about the boots anymore and I'm as good in public as I am in private. The closest non-heeling experience I can relate to this was when I was on a pistol team shooting bullseye competition. I'd never miss in practice but would get the shakes during a match..

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

There have been some very good ideas exchanged in this post. I think the bottom line when you are starting to heel in public is to wear and go where you are most comfortable. The other day I was in the library and it was very crowded. I was wearing 5" stiletto high heels. Virtually no one paid any attention to me. Those who noticed looked, then went about their business. If you do go to a less crowded place remember you are one of the "few" there and you will draw more attention than a crowd of people. But again go where you are most comfortable and take it slowly. There is no time limit and it is not a race. Good luck to all.:silly:

I decided to start with heeled men's boots and get started that way. I got some 2" heeled cowboy boots and these sort of 'Beatle' boots.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HGM3K2

One other reason I did this rather than order women's size (I can sometimes fit in an 11 and almost always a 12) is to support men's shoe makers who make even modest heel sizes. Otherwise those with larger feet won't have as many options.

Giorgio Brutini is a men's shoe maker whose shoes actually have a measurable heel height. I have a pay of dress loafers from him with a 1 3/4" heel height. They also are relatively easy to find - I got mine at Sears. [Here's the link to my original post about them, with some pictures - http://www.hhplace.org/everybody/12022-thoughts_male_shoes_heels.html ]

If you're a guy looking to be "permanently heeled", shoes like there would be good for your wardrobe. At times when you HAVE to wear men's shoes, these definitely are, but still give you a ~2" heel. If you can then mix in sort of unisex looking women's shoes and boots with block heels, eventually most people would probably just assume they are a variation of those "funky men's shoes you wear".

Quite an array of comments here, haha. Dr. Shoe kinda caught me off-guard with his :silly: But as I think about it, I can remember going into a few places with heels on: those that were busy and others nearly empty. And yeah, I did get the aforementioned symptoms. Went into an empty Thrift Store one night, the night I had finally bought a pair of 5.5" heels and wore them going in. I entered to a busy front of the store, and into the empty back, where all the shoes were. I had an admirer or two looking at my heels from a distance, a janitor guy who was sweeping down the aisle and a sales worker (guy) walking back and forth from the backroom to the front. I visibly saw them both eye-ing as they did their work, but no comments whatsoever. When I left the store, a sales lady watched as I walked back to the car. The attention was nice, I guess. Went into a "busy" Carsons to look at what they had, and had to use the bathroom, located on the 3rd floor! So, in short, I had to walk past the Makeup, go on an escalator, briefly pass a counter to get the second escalator, and walked some ways to the bathroom. Again, it was the middle of busy and not busy, so apply as you will. For the most part, though, I got no comments or looks, far as I saw. So I suppose you were right, Dr. Shoe. Good thing you're a doctor, eh?

Formally "HHDude"

I couldn't agree more! Busy places, be they malls, downtown areas or large stores is definitely way to go. While that can be awfully intimidating to the newbie, it's inherently a better method since 99.9999 percent of the populace are too wrapped up in their own affairs to notice or care about a man wearing high heels, not to mention a SAFER method than slinking around in the dark where you not only run the risk of being noticed (say by a passing police cruiser), but the possibility of being jumped by a thug is a constant danger.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I couldn't agree more! Busy places, be they malls, downtown areas or large stores is definitely way to go. While that can be awfully intimidating to the newbie, it's inherently a better method since 99.9999 percent of the populace are too wrapped up in their own affairs to notice or care about a man wearing high heels, not to mention a SAFER method than slinking around in the dark where you not only run the risk of being noticed (say by a passing police cruiser), but the possibility of being jumped by a thug is a constant danger.

Precisely!

JeffB, you hits the spot :silly:

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

This thread is probably one of the most useful, most constructive and least contentious I have ever read on HHP! It should be enshrined and thrust firmly at all members who have any doubts at all about their initiation into public heeling. I wish it had been available to me a year or two ago.

I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Walkonit about his suggestions for that first venture outside the bosom of one’s house – been there, done that. What could be more simple (or safer) than a furtive car-based walk around in a quiet area in the dark, wearing discreet and comfortable boots and jeans? But then Dr Shoe and others made the very good point that there is safety in numbers (and daylight), so maybe a busy public place is a better bet.

The boots in my avatar (2.75” heel) have now been worn outside (under jeans) on four occasions since early December. They are comfortable and I really like their look and feel. They are not noisy and, with the shafts concealed, there is nothing about them that screams ‘female’ or ‘pervert’, although they are probably at the boundary of what would be considered acceptable male street wear, especially as I am 6’ 1.5” without shoes so not exactly invisible in heels. This look suits me for the time being; my 3.5” stiletto knee boots will stay in the closet and 5” stiletto thigh boots can remain a dream!

My first foray was a fair way from home, in the dark for a walk round the edge of a park – I just passed a few other pedestrians but got no reactions. It was however early evening, so little chance of bumping into drunks, vampires and other potential assailants. Feeling more confident, I then drove a short distance to a large (and nearly deserted) DIY store – a bad choice perhaps as I was much more obvious to the two or three people also there, but was not obviously noticed.

Feeling more daring, I then visited a mid-sized supermarket on the edge of my town in mid-afternoon. Not too busy (75% women shoppers) but still scope for being noticed, especially when bending down etc. My basket was a useful prop - this (or a trolley) can act as a barrier to deflect attention if necessary. I didn’t see anyone I knew (a distinct possibility during a 15 minute stay) but got a slightly quizzical look from a woman outside as I was leaving – maybe not boot-related.

Last week, I visited two other supermarkets in the dusk, one being fairly local and quite likely to have neighbours present, although I saw none. Both were bigger and busier with a number of men shopping and I spent about half an hour in each, browsing and buying. I filled my car with fuel after shopping at the second and was clearly visible to the driver of the car waiting behind mine; I did not hurry. On each occasion, my boots were probably noticed but I had no feedback.

That last sentence says it all really – I cannot pretend that I am not wearing heels (however discreet) nor conceal them completely. Anyone I meet who looks down can see them, will almost certainly register their style and quite possibly form an opinion about them and me. So far, I have detected no reaction – but I am now at the stage when I really don’t care as I feel much more relaxed, and certainly not ‘guilty’. Indeed, I would almost welcome some non-violent response and the opportunity to comment appropriately (and if necessary pointedly) about my choice of footwear. (Am I turning into an exhibitionist?) My only fear is of bumping into my wife, stepsons or someone else that I know well; explanations would be tough.

It is now only a question of time before I venture out more openly for some longer daytime activity, such as shopping in central London. But that, as they say, will be for another day – watch this space …!

Puffer: After reading your exploits, it appears to me that you are handling things in stages, expanding your horizons a little bit more with each outing. That is certainly a good way to go about things rather than jumping into the deep end of the pool in the very beginning. As for daytime outings, you'll find in time that it's nowhere near as frightening as one might think. In fact, it tends to lend to the fun and overall enjoyment of public heeling. There's a certain thrill that comes from such public outings in the light of day instead of sneaking around in the dark.

Another aspect of public outings, perhaps THE most important aspect is to affect a calm, cool, relaxed, devil-may-care exterior, to act like everyone else, despite what you happen to be wearing on your feet. I can't stress that enough, if you act nervous, jittery, guilty looking or furtive, you'll attract curious stares of people around you, and those people will invariably wonder what's going on with you and take a concentrated interest in you, and that's when you REALLY feel like you're in a fishbowl, exposed and figuratively naked for the world to see. Trust me, that is NOT a good feeling!

Don't worry about your height either, I'm 6-2 and regularly wear four inchers, and I could care less about standing out in a crowd. Again, it's all about acting like wearing heels as a man is no big deal---because it's not! Just continue the way you're going and you'll do just fine.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thank you, Jeff, for your kind and helpful response. I have long admired your 'jaunts' and especially your ability to be yourself. As you point out, we are much the same height and not exactly inconspicuous - but so what! I think we have the same shoe size too (11UK/13USW or thereabouts) - what a shame you are not nearer so I could borrow a pair or three!! I suppose that I was indeed 'furtive' on my first outing, deliberately made after dark in a quiet area for my peace of mind. But my next was in broad daylight in a much more public place and, as I tried to demonstrate in my last post, gave me encouragement to do more. The fact that I reverted to going out in the dusk for my most recent outings was solely due to circumstances - I was not free in the daytime. You are right that one should behave as normally as possible and without drawing attention to oneself (shoes or any other favoured clothing aside) and I have tried to do this. That said, presenting a positive - if 'different' or slightly unconventional - image with confidence produces a 'certain thrill', as you remark, and can only lead to better things. So, if an old buffer like me can achieve this small success, there is hope for everyone out there who has yet to take the plunge. And, as Fu Manchu was wont to say: 'The world shall hear from me again'. :silly:

I've not seen an immediately obvious message about this, but...what about 'crack of dawn' early mornings for the shy heeler? I know busy places are recommended by members who've tried and tested them, and they know what they are talking about through successful experience. But if anyone is still shy and wants to build up to that, or simply wants to practice the shoes on more challenging surfaces than the living room carpet - is it the case that very early in the morning is better than 'after dark'? Basically no chance of encountering people who are drunk, and the only people you are going to meet are the paper boy and dog walkers...what could go wrong?

I know how intimidating it is going out in heels for the first time. The last thing you want is people to notice you so you pick the nighttime and go to quiet places where you think that no one will see you. I only suggest doing so a few times because after a few times it's basically the same as wearing heels in private. I found myself thinking how stupid it was doing that and it actually made me feel like some weirdo who has to sneak around at night just to wear something I like to wear. That doesn't boost one's confidence, it diminishes it. I'd go about building confidence as follows: Stage 1 - a couple of times of nighttime heeling, also known as loosing your public heeling virginity lol. Those first times will be a huge rush and you'll remember them forever. Stage 2 - First steps in daytime heeling . Short trips/errands are perfect for the initial confidence boost such as going to fill gas or anywhere where you'll be spending a short period of time and not standing around to much. Going to a matinee showing in the cinema is an excellent confidence booster for this stage. Not many people, dark theater. Stage 3 - Daytime errands which require more time and more standing around such as the supermarket (pushing the cart is and excellent accessory for the new heeler. It kind of hides your heels and provides support, good for building confidence while wearing higher heels. Stage 4 - Walking around during daytime in busy areas. Downtown during rush hour is good. People are in a hurry and won't have much time to notice you. If they do, they'll walk on. The mall on the weekend is also a good choice. The hoards of people surrounding you while you're walking in broad daylight in heels will be a huge confidence booster! You're confident enough to make your high heel purchases in stores and try the shoes on. Stage 5 - Public high heel graduation. At this point, you're confident enough to go out in heels on a Friday/Saturday night to the bar/dance club or restaurant with many people having lots of time to examine your footwear and even have lengthy conversations with you. By now, you don't care at all about other people's reactions. You basically forgot that you're wearing heels. You find it strange that someone will take peculiar notice of you. We're all at some stage and usually remember when we took that leap of faith and graduated to a higher public heeling stage. It takes time and perseverance but this forum provides enough insight to prove that going from stage 1 to stage 5 is more than possible. It's all a question of battling you inner demons in order to finally being able to dress how you want to dress in public.

Good thread, and I agree with Dr Shoe, that although it can be rather nerve racking to build up the confidence to enter a place with really large crowds, at least initially, it is typically where you are most likely to be ignored. Its a strange phenomenon, but my best heeling events have been at large concerts. It was scary as hell at first, but almost no one even notices. The most recent concert I went to with my wife was my boldest yet. My 4.5" chunky heel was nearly fully exposed, my jeans only covered about 1 inch of the heel. Out of the entire 3 hour event, I only got one reaction (out of thousands being at the show). I was in a beer garden (a place to get drinks at the concert), I think the guy was pretty damn drunk, but he looked at my feet and then up at my face, then down again, and said "what the hell?". I smiled at him and he then stumbled away looking confused as hell. That was a fun encounter actually and it was an amazing night for me.

Well I first violently disagreed with you as I started heeling two weeks ago exactly as Walkonit described, going outside of my car in the evening in strange places where stange people where doing strange business.

When I read your post, I understood the point, but thought I cannot find a place in my small town, busy enough not to be noticed. Except the traditional market on sunday (in France) or the mall on saturday afternoon. But this is when I am busy with the kid and some work at home, and no time to spend playing with fashion, new shoes and attire... snif.

But nethertheless I applied your advice with not so crowded places.

Yesterday during lunch time, I had to retrieve a piece of furniture at a local retail store. I wore 2,5 inch heeled boots that I bought on sales last week. I had planned every detail in my mind, and thought I would have a hard time waiting for my furniture to be prepared in the after sale preparation room. Indeed, it took a good 30 minutes before the guy came with the package. During all that time, I was sitting in the waiting room, as the queue was growing. I was alone at first, and there was more than 20 person at the end, all waiting for their things. Every one could see the heels, but nobody bat an eyelid. When the guy finally came, he had a sort of small pallet truck. We get to my car and he helped me put the furniture inside. Again, no strange look, pleasant conversation, and back to business.

After that, I went in two more stores, and trhough a local mall gallery to get some food. There was not so many people at this time.

All in all, a very pleasant outing.

I've not seen an immediately obvious message about this, but...what about 'crack of dawn' early mornings for the shy heeler?

I know busy places are recommended by members who've tried and tested them, and they know what they are talking about through successful experience. But if anyone is still shy and wants to build up to that, or simply wants to practice the shoes on more challenging surfaces than the living room carpet - is it the case that very early in the morning is better than 'after dark'? Basically no chance of encountering people who are drunk, and the only people you are going to meet are the paper boy and dog walkers...what could go wrong?

I must say that i did this one too, actually i think is one of the best ways to start gaining some confidence, (i will talk about Dr, Shoe suggestion in a bit)

When I was starting to go out in public, yes i did the late night vampire outings at very lonely places, and is very exiting the first times, later when you know you can do it any night you start to feel a little frustrated as someone said there, you are still in the same stage of heeling at home and alone, then i felt i needed to go to another level, putting more challenge, so i went ahead and woke up very early, around 530 am and go out in heels, nothing different with if it is midnight, so i concluded that a popular place early in the morning may also be different rather than a popular place at night, so i picked up a small sex shop, i dont know why i linked this to try to wear my shoes there, maybe because is kinky? i have no idea, but i felt doing it, the cashier and the employees saw me as i was showing fully the stilettos 4.5 inch and i did these visits 5 times repeatedly, in different outing, the last one i push to much the envelope and i went with a mini skirt exposing legs in hose and my black pumps clicking all over the place, i have to admit that i didnt enjoyed it much as one of the customers was following me all over the place, maybe he though i do some magic for perverts hahaha, in any case i think that all depends how you wear and what are you wearing, rather than where are you heeling.

So my suggestion is to plan your outing well and precise to the last detail so you can at least know what to expect and be prepared, another suggestion is to always be safe and dress according to the place you are about to visit, if you like to go fully infemme is a different story, i cannot talk about that here as it is out of topic.

As for the suggestion of Dr Shoe of going directly to crowded places at first, of course is a way to reach the objective, but the tread is asking for the process on transition for shy guys maybe, if you are not shy just go ahead and wear your crotch boots under your jeans and go to the airport, I m sure no one in the first time can actually do that without being drunk or bet some money, some guts is required to do that kind of things.

I already went to some clubs and bars in heels and heeled around and no one noticed, but for me to do that i needed to build the confidence and explore my senses when out and about in heels even in lonely places first.

V. Morpho