walking in heel/boots for the first time

DGMurdock

being my first pair of heel/boots ever if you guys could give me some tips on how to walk in them iv been walking balk and forth in in my house but i still seem to not be able to keep my balance

and here the shoes im wearing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200559067021&si=QgXuTJFIMZoawy4rSPzJTX2wpxo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

being my first pair of heel/boots ever..

If true, then 4" heels (in my opinion) are just way too high. Wearing heels is significantly different from wearing flat shoes. Look around - you'll probably see women wearing heels apparently for all their adult lifes, who max out their heel height at much lower heights.

While the boots that you got are nice, and will probably be fine for you at some point, if you want to be proficient at wearing heels, my recommendation, you need to start lower. You can ask others here, but my suggestion, 2 1/2" - 2 3/4" max, is the heighest heel height you should be looking at now. That's a decent height (what you're looking for I'm sure), without the huge shift forward in your weight and walking pattern that a 3.x" heel, certainly a 4" heel, will introduce.

I think it's good that you picked a boot with sort of a block heel. I'd continue with that for your next show (and with a lower height, finding one with a wider heel shouldn't be a problem). If you want to get into pumps and/or stilletto heels, that's fine. I just think you should get some practice in these types of boots before moving onto them.

I agree with all the advice so far. Giving pointers on how to walk in 4" heeled boots is like trying to give pointers to a child on how to balance on a bicycle for the first time. It's just something you have to keep doing and doing until it magically comes to you. Good luck! Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

DGMurdock! It really does help if you are wearing the correct size to fit your feet. When they properly fit, heels are easier to wear. :silly:

they fit like a glove but its just that the the toe area feels like you have close pins on you feet when i stand up

they fit like a glove but its just that the the toe area feels like you have close pins on you feet when i stand up

There are tools made for expanding the toe area. Check with a local shoe repair shop. I've also heard of filling zip bags with water, using only enough water to fill in the the toe area. Then you put the toe filled footwear in the freezer long enough for the water to completely freeze. Afterwards, take the footwear out and let the ice defrost at room termperature. The shoes will be wet from the condensation so let them also dry as long as necessary. For leather, apply some leather restoring cream or oil to keep the leather pliable. If there are still questions about things, such as staining or discoloring, see a shoe repair person.

what kind of style would you suggest i get I would like to stick to a boot

I'm biased, but I think these would be a very good pair: http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=EC0224309&pg=3007540

Here's a link to my original post about them; look a few posts down for the links to some pictures. Reposting what I said there:

- the heel is dead quiet. I think they are stacked rubber; they definitely aren't the hollow plastc I have on some of my other chunky-heel boots

- the sole is a grooved rubber / rubber-like matierial, which is both quiet and non-slip.

- the black leather has sort of a matte finish (much better than my other 'heeling' ankle boots, which unfortunately are brown patent).

- the boot has a small footprint. I'm sure being sz 12 vs 13 helps. Looking discretion, the last thing I need is some huge HH shoe on my foot.

The listed height was 2 3/4". For my size 12 W, height was 3 1/4" - 3 1/2", depending how they are measured. If you have a smaller foot size, that gets you right at that 2 3/4" height, which should be ideal for you.

Besides a nominal heel height, you also get:

- dead-quiet heel

- quiet and non-slip sole

- non-attention getting black matte finish

- small footprint

- extra ankle support of the boot

Not only would this be a great training boot, but they are good enough that they might become a good everyday boot. At the time I posted this, they were also on sale for 1/2 place ($60), a good price. There are Naturalizer stores around, else you can order them online. If you decide to buy them, sign up for their frequent buyer program. Odd's are they'll send you an introductory discount you might be able to use for the purchase.

If you have a DSW around, they are also good stores to look rthru and see what they have. Main advantage of it, you just pull the shoe and size you want from the rack, you don't have to ask an agent to get it for you.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

the boot i got after a little practice im able balance but after my ankles get sore after a while and aslo what do you think about these boots http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390257692343&var=660010516896&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT I just bought

The ankle support of the bootie helps, but it's still a stilletto heel, so still going to be challenging at the beginning to walk in. Guessing from the pictures it's a 3.5" - 4.0" heel, that doesn't help. At least a lower heel would be better.

What's your shoe size? If you're a size 6 wearing a 4" heel, you're really making it difficult on yourself.

But, the shoe is nice, if you can wear them without much difficulty.

my show size in womans shoes is 9 at least in keds so i got size 9 for both i think 9.5 would have been better for both but they will do till i by new boots and if someone could tell me what you would call a boot like this http://www.milanoo.com/upen/m/200912/2-High-Heel-with-Platform-Black-Buckle-PU-Lolita-Boots-21313-1.jpg or http://www.milanoo.com/upen/v/201007/3-High-Heel-Platform-White-Chunky-PU-Lolita-Boots-30257-1.jpg i can find ankile boots like this but with no platform but with a 3 ijnch heel

Your ankles will get sore, you're asking them to do something they're not used to. I started in 4" heels too, it's not an unreasonable height especially considering that, certainly for now, you're only likely to be wearing them around the house. Best thing you can do is just practice and you'll find that you can wear them for longer. BTW, the stiletto ankle boots are my favourite.

so you think i start by wearing them around in house the one i feel i can walk in them with out slipping or falling and can walk with ease I be good to wear them other places and If you guys can help me get over over the i shaky leg feeling i have while waring them that will help as well it not like my legs are shaking you know when your scared the feeling you get when you scared that what i need to get over

what the best way to practice walking in them just walking back and forth in a room and do you walk heel to toe or toe to heel seen many different thing on the web and i just want to get it stright

so you think i start by wearing them around in house the one i feel i can walk in them with out slipping or falling and can walk with ease I be good to wear them other places and If you guys can help me get over over the i shaky leg feeling i have while waring them that will help as well it not like my legs are shaking you know when your scared the feeling you get when you scared that what i need to get over

The only thing that got me over the shaky leg feeling in the early days was just doing it and reading posts here about people doing it successfully day after day. How long it takes to pass probably depends on the person. Less time if you're naturally confident and more time if you need to build up your confidence. I'll help.. I wore my 4" heeled cowboy boots all day at work and went out to lunch and did some quick shopping at Walmart before returning with no shaking whatsoever. I laughed on the inside when I was walking behind a woman in the coffee isle who was wearing 4" heels as well. You'll get there too!

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

The only thing that got me over the shaky leg feeling in the early days was just doing it and reading posts here about people doing it successfully day after day. How long it takes to pass probably depends on the person. Less time if you're naturally confident and more time if you need to build up your confidence. I'll help.. I wore my 4" heeled cowboy boots all day at work and went out to lunch and did some quick shopping at Walmart before returning with no shaking whatsoever. I laughed on the inside when I was walking behind a woman in the coffee isle who was wearing 4" heels as well. You'll get there too!

Charlie

I dont think i'll have that problem once i ware them out once or twice that should go away like what happened when i got my first pair of women keds what im having a problem with is my right leg when i walk seem like it week in the knee like when i step my leg is going to bend like like im bending down its only happened a few times but if i could get it to not happen then feel better wearning them out in public i just dont want to injure myself wearing them