Glossary of Internet Forum Abbreviations

Internet Forums, in conjunction with Text Messaging, instant messaging, social network sites and e-mail, have developed a certain "shorthand" for conveying often-used phrases, usually by reducing them to initials. In general, this has evolved to reduce typing keystrokes. Realizing that new members may not be entirely familiar with this Internet "jargon", we maintain this glossary of Internet abbreviations to aid in understanding posts. Since there are thousands of such abbreviations in use, and in a constant state of flux, this is by no means an exhaustive list, any abbreviation not listed here can be found by means of a Google search. Please note that while we will allow members to use common abbreviations, for the sake of clarity we would prefer that the words be written out completely. It's only a few more keystrokes and Internet slang is in a state of continuous flux. "LOL" may mean "Laughing Out Loud" today but who knows what it will mean in ten years? ADN -- Any Day Now AFAIK -- As Far As I Know. AFAICR -- As Far As I Can Remember AFK -- Away From Keyboard -- generally used in chat-rooms and online games to indicate a participant is temporarily away from his/her computer. BTW -- By The Way E -- e-mail. Used in the following manner: "I'll E you when it's ready," or "Did she E you about that?" GIYF -- Google Is Your Friend -- used as a gentle reminder that the Internet is a vast storehouse of information, readily available to those who just look. LMAO -- Laughing My A$$ Off. Funny to the point of anatomical improbability. LOL -- Laughing Out Loud. Funny. OMG -- Oh My God! OP -- Original Post, Original Posting, Original Poster. That posting which initiates a thread or the individual who made it. ROFL -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing. Hysterically funny. ROFLMAOTPMP -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off and P--ing My Pants. Outlandishly funny to the point of temporary incontinence. (Generally more than we needed to know.) ROFLOL -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing Out Loud. ROTFL -- Rolling On The Floor Laughing. See ROFL. RSN -- Real Soon Now. Usually refers to that bugfix you *really* need. Teh -- "The", but more emphatically. Originally a typo of "the". "He is The Man." means the same as "He is Teh Man." but ever so much more so. WTF -- What The F**k.

Have a happy time!