The show 'What Would You Do If??'

Charlie

I was watching this last night. It's a show similar to candid camera but it's a bit more serious in that they use actors out in public to create a controversial scene and then observe the reaction of the general public. We absolutely stereotype in our society! One of the scenarios was two crossdressers sitting down in a small cafe to have coffee. Both of course were actors as was the owner of the establishment. With the cafe relatively full of people, the 'owner' goes up to the two crossdressers and tells them quite openly that they ought to leave because they don't belong there and there are children there as well. He really goes on to 'bash' them. Most people remained silent, but there was one guy who actually got up and walked over to their table in SUPPORT of the 'owner'. It was disgusting! They did this several times with different groups and there was a very tenacious woman who took on the 'owner' and read him the riot act! God bless her! There was also a father with his two pre-teen daughters who spoke up and told the 'owner' that the crossdressers weren't bothering him or his girls at all. The little girl even spoke up and said that they have as much right as anyone else to be served. Maybe the future isn't so bad afterall? There's hope! I thought about what I would do? I think the coolest thing to do would be to ask them if I could join them and buy them a round of coffee or whatever they were having! No, I don't crossdress myself, but I absolutely believe in individual freedom! I might even engage the naysayers and ask them for their reasoning as to why what the crossdressers were doing was 'wrong'.. What would you all do? Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I was in a pub in Newbury of all places with Kev and I saw a T girl come in closely followed by another. Now, there are times when TGirls tend to ignore each other for fear that their cover will be blown and so I tend not to approach them. However, when I went to the bar to order another drink I smiled at them and they smiled back and so we started to talk... Three hours later we left. We had intended just to have a quick drink!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I believe in this day and age, most people would give a cross-dresser a quick glance and that would be it. All would go about their business. It sounds like in this TV show that the people running the show were just trying to create a situation and see where it would go from there. The sad thing is some people need just a little "push" to set something off inside of them to do something they otherwise might not do. Many riots are incited in this similar manner. Rule of thumb, complement people, don't insult them.

Isn't this type of programming attributed to people like Jerry Springer, Dr, Phil, and etc. They set up the situation to invoke contentious behavior on a public stage. Situations like these are from the lack of parental guidance when these people were young. They weren't properly prepared how to deal with life, because the adults they knew didn't deal with them either. Every person has to learn how to cope with problems when they are young in order to understand how to make the best decisions when they have the reigns or expectations of adulthood.

Isn't this type of programming attributed to people like Jerry Springer, Dr, Phil, and etc. They set up the situation to invoke contentious behavior on a public stage. Situations like these are from the lack of parental guidance when these people were young. They weren't properly prepared how to deal with life, because the adults they knew didn't deal with them either. Every person has to learn how to cope with problems when they are young in order to understand how to make the best decisions when they have the reigns or expectations of adulthood.

I'm going to have to say no, not exactly like the aforementioned shows. In the aforementioned shows, the people participating are selected beforehand and they're sought for their unusual behaviour with a good deal of prompting (I'm sure of) thrown in the mix as well. In the What-would-you-do-if show, the only thing staged are the actors and the situation. The general public who participate do so purely by chance. Now what can be manipulated here are the more ratings-grabbing reactions from the general public, which I'm sure is what we see every week. Regardless of this, these reactions are genuine and not contrived beforehand. Now as to what you say about those with the adverse reactions, yes, I agree totally with you. It's sad and there are SO many people who don't get the kind of emotional help we all need to prepare us for life.

Charlie

I believe in this day and age, most people would give a cross-dresser a quick glance and that would be it. All would go about their business. It sounds like in this TV show that the people running the show were just trying to create a situation and see where it would go from there. The sad thing is some people need just a little "push" to set something off inside of them to do something they otherwise might not do. Many riots are incited in this similar manner. Rule of thumb, complement people, don't insult them.

The situation they created was only unusual in that the actor who was playing the 'owner' of the estabishment came at the two crossdressers untypically aggressively IMHO. You're absolutely right in that it's exactly this kind of prompting that can easily ignite riots amongst those who are straddling between keeping vs. losing control of themselves. For those that can't find it within themselves to say something nice, it's best to say nothing at all. It's a time honored tradition amongst civilized folks. Great post roniheels!

Charlie

Knock out the owner. :)

I have to think that sooner or later the crew that intervene if things start to get out of hand aren't going to be able to get there fast enough and WHAM! LOL

Charlie

• 5 weeks later...

I have done it before (crossdressing) and did have a bad exsp. and was not happy about it. It was so bad that I have stopped doing it, and through out all my stuff. I keep one pair of heel becouse I couldn't give them up. So now I just walk around at home and call it fair. But one of these day I am going to wear heel outside again. And I don't realy care what people say.

I think that is typical of the "Bear Baiting" style of tv shows that producers seem to think is all the rage. However, I bet that there were very few people who supported the bar owner. If I was in the cafe I woud make a point of buying them a drink...

You'd be correct heelman500. The vast majority of the people in the cafe did not support the owner. I only say the vast majority because I can't tell with the people who didn't pay as much attention to the scene. If you think about this, this is indeed progress. I think the patrons would have helped physically throw them out if the event took place in 1950.. Charlie

There is no 'rule book' or Law anywhere in the FREE World (apart from some fanatically religious countries that is) - that tells people what clothes they should or should not wear.

Even the Bible restricts itself to saying that 'cross-dressing' is a sin - only when done by soldiers going to war, who try to disguise themselves as women to avoid being attacked by their enemies - but that's the ONLY time it mentions it.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

There is no 'rule book' or Law anywhere in the FREE World (apart from some fanatically religious countries that is) - that tells people what clothes they should or should not wear.

Even the Bible restricts itself to saying that 'cross-dressing' is a sin - only when done by soldiers going to war, who try to disguise themselves as women to avoid being attacked by their enemies - but that's the ONLY time it mentions it.

And.... that wouldn't work anymore in the Russian army. I believe women fight on the front lines along with the men.

Charlie

Very True Pussyinboots. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong clothes for men or women to wear and the only one stopping us from wearing what we want to are ourselves. Most people today really don't care what everyone else is wearing as they are far too self invoved with them seleves. For a long time I was afraid of going out in public wearing what I wanted, then once I joined this site I got the courage to do it and afterwards realised that nothing bad ever happened from it.