Starter heeled boots for public outings

antha

Hi All,:lmao:

Now I know these aren't 'High' heels, but for those who really want to go out in heels but want a good easy place to start. . . .

http://www.atomretro.com/product_info.cfm?product_id=5081&d=MADCAP-ENGLAND-CUBAN-CHELSEA-BOOTS-BEATLE-BOOTS

They are a good 'break from the norm' which goes with near all of the usual 'man wear', and unlike nearly all mens stuff looks more like a sports car instead of wearing a pair of vans on your feet! :)

Much the same as YSL 'Johnny' boots that you can't buy anymore, you'll never have to wear flats again if you're dressed smart!!

BTW i'm not selling these and don't own any either.

What do you all reckon?

I have a couple pair of cowboy (actually, cowgirl..bought em' on the other side..:)) boots with very similar heels... Except for a couple complements, nobody bats an eye... I say those would be great for a guy to wear while working on his confidence and comfort level...

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

I agree. No problems at all and they're nicely styled. I find that similar boots with up to a 3" heel garner no notice whatsoever. 3" heeled boots are my daily wear and I've been wearing them for years. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I'd been secretly wearing high heels for years, but my first move towards unleashing my love for high heels to my SO and also public heeling was wearing something very similar to these. Tomorrow I'll be shopping, tottering around in boots with a 4" stiletto.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Examples?

By all means! I've included a picture of the 4" heeled western boots I wore all day yesterday while running errands. My 3" heeled ones are virtually identical except the heel is 1" lower.

Charlie

post-48-133522930686_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments! I wore them all day today at work and when I ran some errands after. In fact, they're still on and I'm going strong! I really like these boots.. but it took a little work because they were a bit tighter than the indicated size and I needed to use both a vamp and standard shoe stretcher on them to tweak everything in. This is the negative part of buying online and not trying them on.. Charlie

By all means! I've included a picture of the 4" heeled western boots I wore all day yesterday while running errands. My 3" heeled ones are virtually identical except the heel is 1" lower.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Very nice boots! Where are they from? Can you provide a link?

Now I know these aren't 'High' heels, but for those who really want to go out in heels but want a good easy place to start. . . .

http://www.atomretro.com/product_info.cfm?product_id=5081&d=MADCAP-ENGLAND-CUBAN-CHELSEA-BOOTS-BEATLE-BOOTS

They are a good 'break from the norm' which goes with near all of the usual 'man wear', and unlike nearly all mens stuff looks more like a sports car instead of wearing a pair of vans on your feet! :)

Much the same as YSL 'Johnny' boots that you can't buy anymore, you'll never have to wear flats again if you're dressed smart!!

What do you all reckon?

I do like the shoe but i dont think i can start with this one as i already wear something similar without thinking they can look similar to high heels, sorry i think you are kind of confusing fashion for men to a regular high heel shoe designed for women, i hope one day it will be equal.

V. Morpho

I've got a pair of Beatle boots! Here's where I got them from:

http://www.beatwear.co.uk/

I've got the "Cavern" boot (w/ high heel, of course) - I wear these every now & then with my black suit or black dress pants - they look great! Never had any negative comments about them either.

These boots (IMO) tend to go better with dress clothes, than they do with jeans. Maybe some of the other boots or other materials they're made in go better with jeans, but I wanted the authentic Beatle boots when I got them.

Hi Charlie,

Very nice boots! Where are they from? Can you provide a link?

No problem Bob!

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2.aspx?id=575689&styleid=65

It's an ebay store. Miguel is good to deal with. The quality isn't up to the same grade as the Western Ranch boots of the past, but good enough IMHO. As a little rain must always fall, the drawback with Miguel's boots is that the sizing is sometimes a little off. I've observed that anything with greater than a 3" heel height tends to run small. It starts getting hard to get the vamp right I suspect at the increased heel heights? Vamp is critical in that too large or too small makes for a difficult (if not darned near impossible) walking. I ordered the boots pictured a size larger than norm and still had to stretch out the vamp with my vamp stretcher to get that glove-like fit I now have. The good news is that if you're patient, Miguel is very good about accepting returns. When I get boots from Miguel, I try them on while on carpet and if the fit is too far off to correct with my vamp and basic boot stretcher, I return them and choose another pair in exchange. I think he'll get better as time goes on and I don't mind financing that with the occasional purchase as it's for a good cause (my high heeled boot obsession - LOL). His prices are lower and appropriate.

Charlie

No problem Bob!

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2.aspx?id=575689&styleid=65

It's an ebay store. Miguel is good to deal with. The quality isn't up to the same grade as the Western Ranch boots of the past, but good enough IMHO. As a little rain must always fall, the drawback with Miguel's boots is that the sizing is sometimes a little off. I've observed that anything with greater than a 3" heel height tends to run small. It starts getting hard to get the vamp right I suspect at the increased heel heights? Vamp is critical in that too large or too small makes for a difficult (if not darned near impossible) walking. I ordered the boots pictured a size larger than norm and still had to stretch out the vamp with my vamp stretcher to get that glove-like fit I now have. The good news is that if you're patient, Miguel is very good about accepting returns. When I get boots from Miguel, I try them on while on carpet and if the fit is too far off to correct with my vamp and basic boot stretcher, I return them and choose another pair in exchange. I think he'll get better as time goes on and I don't mind financing that with the occasional purchase as it's for a good cause (my high heeled boot obsession - LOL). His prices are lower and appropriate.

Charlie

Charlie, thanks for the link and additional comments. I'm really liking this guys work and do believe he may get some more business. And, I like the way he lists virtually the same boots in "mens" or "womens" sizes. Your boots........very nice indeed!

The title of the thread is really where I'm at personally. I have yet to make a debut in public (or even in front of my wife) in any shoe other than standard mens fare (with a heel, of course, no taller than 1 inch) - except for the disco platforms I had back in the 70's. I've decided life's too short and it's time to "up the ante"....pun intended! My plan, like many others have expressed in this thread and elsewhere, is to first find some "modestly" heeled shoes, perhaps with a neutral style, that I would feel reasonably comfortable (still confident but pushing my limit) wearing anywhere in public. And, perhaps more importantly, involve my wife in the decision. She already knows very well that I love high heels......on women. The approach will be basically "I want my own heels, what do you think of these?" Ultimately, I want her to be ok with them too......I'll be lining up an array of pictures for her, hopefully, soon. Life will be good if I can get something I'm excited about AND get her buy-in.

So, I've narrowed the range considerably. I'm committed to ankle boots for now - besides really liking many of them (mens and womens) there's the option to hide them under pants or show them completely like when sitting etc. depending on how I feel. Heel Height: 2-3 inch range maybe higher since an actual 3" is going to look more like a 2" heel on my US mens size 12 foot. It's the angle of the foot that I'm after where a 2-3 inch heel on an average size shoe is the look that I want. Actual height is not as important. Heel Style: Cuban for sure (probably more on the blocky side). Style (other than heel): Could easily go from neutral to a somewhat feminine look with round / almond toe and a buckle / strap or two around the ankle area or even across the vamp but a simple design not too extravagant or far into the feminine side to start. Color: ok, just black for now but something in a fine grained, softer, thinner leather is a must.

My problem is, as I mentioned, I have big-foot syndrome (USM 12, USW 14, UK 11, Euro 45/46.....). To get what I really want I will very likely have to have it made. And, if I'm going to pay that kind of money, I am going to get something that I'm sure I will really like and wear anywhere and my wife likes them too. So, I'm either going to find something online that I really, really want (regardless of size or availability) or just design my own. To that end, I've spent the last month or so looking through every mens and womens ankle boot in common places such as shoes.com and zappos as well as higher end and less common places like YSL, Luisaviaroma, Archie Eyebrows and some others. I have a decent collection of pictures to work from and all this (having to put your money where your mouth is) has really made me think about what I really want and will wear. The process has been fun though.....and cathartic. I will be doing it.

If I had to pick from what I have right now, this would be the number one contender (perhaps with a solid heel rather than stacked):

http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=EC0224309&pg=3007540

The reason I mention all this (sorry for the length), is to ask you guys if you have any other suggestions for sources. If you've seen something basically fitting the description above in some off-beat place that I probably haven't looked, that would be great to know. Or, if you know of a place that could make something similar at a reasonable price (like the guy Charlie mentions), I would love to know.

All the places that I've seen that will do shoe duplication seem to specialize in very high heels. And, fully custom, made to measure shoes of any sort I understand can easily exceed US $1000. A bit steep for my budget but will do it if that's my only choice.

Thanks for any further suggestions you might offer,

H.

Hey H.! Take a second look at Miguel's site. He has plenty of styles that he'll customize for you and the prices he's quoting look to come well under $300.00. The nice part about this route is that they are actual men's boots and if you want to make the sale to the wife, that may help. From there, mixing in something like the thinner heeled Naturalizer boots you're considering should be far easier and may even not have to be a 'sell' at all. This is only advice from afar. Only you can make the best call for your situation. Everyone's situation is different in one way or another. I actually started out with a boot virtually identical to the Naturalizer boot you're showing us and had no difficulty whatsoever with my wife. In fact, she never made a single comment so I left them in plain sight on my workshop floor and still no comment. Everyone's different.. Best of luck! Charlie

h.heelman, I have some similarities to your story. Like you, having a large shoe size (12.5 - 13.0 mens) makes finding womens shoes that fit difficult. I started heeling a couple of years ago, where at least you could count on Payless to occasionally have some decent shoes in 13 (sometimes 13W). Unfortunately their selection in that size now, frankly, is poor. Avenue (www.avenue.com) is maybe now the best place to get 13M/13W shoes, with a decent selection (pumps, boots, sandals). Not necessarily the most attractive styles, but at least you can find shoes that can fit.

I found a nice pair of ankle boots there (dark brown instead of preferrable black), in sz 13, with a 2 7/8" block heel. They were good to wear, not tight at all. However it had a hollow heel, so it was loud 'clack' on ever step. Definitely not what I wanted for trying to heel in public discretely. Tried to fix them (new rubber sole, filled hollow heel with expanding insulation), nothing worked.

So like you, started to look into custom shoes, figuring that was the only way to get shoes that fit me, that looked and sounded discreet. Sort of abandoned that, as being both difficult to handle the logistics of it (like you, also haven't revealed to my SO), as also fairly expensive. Particularly disgusting (pardon the language) when for just a size or so smaller, you could walk into almost any store, and buy for probably $40-$100 exactly what you'd want.

Then earlier this year, I stumbled across those Naturalizer Giddy boots in your link. While admittedly tight, they are definitely wearable (did a couple hours in them last night during Christmas shopping). Probably repeating what I might have posted in another thread, but I think they'd be a great first pair for someone like you (and me):

- 12W size is wearable if your a mens 12 or 13

- black, sort of dull finish, no big buckles or studs, doesn't attract much attention

- stacked rubber / rubber-like heel is dead quiet - even walking on tile & marble floors in a mall, no heel 'clack' at all

- non-slip sole helps on slipperly surfaces (like marble) - good for people like us that haven't had years/decades of experience wearing heels.

- inexpensive - think $120 list price, buyable for as low as $75 with discounts

My recommendation to you would be to try a woman's pair first: I'd definitely recommend the Naturalizer Giddy's. You can also look at Avenue, you might see something there you'll like. You can also find size 13's on endless.com and zappos.com, though buying them there can be a little more difficult (logistics of having it sent to you). If you're looking potentially at $300-$1000 for custom shoes, I think you owe it to yourself to look everyplace else first. You can also search other posts to find comments on places like Miguel's, just so you know all the info on them before you potentially order with them.

Good luck, and don't give up hope.

Thanks jwhite44 for the mention of Avenue. Looked at their site and they have a lot of good looking heels in boots, pumps and clogs. They have a store about 50 miles south of where I live here in the southwest. I'll be traveling there anyway after Christmas to go to Macy's, JCP, DSW and a few others for their sales. Am very upbeat about the outing!

They've had some huge sales recently: had a coupon for 40% off one item in the local Sunday coupon section, and I think my local store had a 50% off sign in the front of the store earlier this week. Of course, I don't think any of their shoes are that expensive, so even full price isn't that bad. You might go online and see if they have a frequent shopping program. If so, they're bound to email you a % or $ discount coupon. Are you okay with trying shoes on in the store? At 50 miles away, unless you visit there regularly, wouldn't think you'd want to try on at home, only to have to drive back to return them. At least my local store isn't that big - the check out counter is a little past half way into the store, with the shoes all the way at the rear - so be prepared for some cozy surroundings. Let us know how you make out.

My first pair of boots for public outings were the Funtasma Gogo boots in black pu leather. Quite subtile under jeans or nice dress pants. Ive worn them a few times with a skirt and tights. I find they pass as well when in male mode or in fem mode. With a 3 inch heel, its not too long before you find the balance. I love wearing heels whenever I can.

Just want to say a quick, but big, thanks to jwhite44 and Charlie for your last posts before too much time goes by. Have had very little time this Holiday season for writing but not too little to consider your advice and encouragement as well as order 3 new pair of ankle boots. I got a really nice pair of Blackstone boots with a traditional mens heel, another boot with about a 2" riding style heel and pair of these (which I'm wearing right now):

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Natalie-Buckled-Boot-Wide-Width.aspx?PfId=194480&DeptId=19963&ProductTypeId=1

These are awesome! I have lots to say but have to go again shortly. New plan though is to have a live shoe / heel show sometime next week for my wife. Forget the pictures. I decided the best way to make the sale is with the real thing. We're going away this weekend and I'll be mentioning that "I did something crazy" (bought some womens shoes) when the mood / opportunity is right. I may order a pair of Giddy's too for arrival on Monday or so. Hopefully I'll be able to report some good news soon. Thanks again for your input......

H.

The boots in the link above shouldn't get much attention when worn in public. Especially if they don't make alot of noise when walking.

I have a pair similar and wore them to work without comments.

Good to know. They are very quiet with just a bit of the clack / hollow thud noise that jwhite44 mentions. With any kind of background noise, I'm sure you wouldn't hear these at all esp. with the rubber on the bottom and plastic, simulated stacked heel. I've worn them around the garage (cement floor) for at least a couple hours total now trying to decide if I would wear these in public. Basically the answer is "yes". The only difficulties I have with them are:

1) The heel from a side view looks great. It's wide and "chunky" enough to easily be unisex. Actually the whole shoe from a side view (the only one given on the website) is in the unisex zone in my opinion and would easily wear it anywhere based on that look alone. The difficulty is that when I got them the heel actually tapers down (viewing from the rear) from a bit over 2 inches to about 1 inch. The shoe overall from a rear view has a very feminine look with the tapered heel and the ankle strap. I absolutely love that look.....just not sure I want it on me yet for a first public outing. The actual heel height is 3-1/4 inches (measured on the back) but it doesn't look that tall really on the 13W size that I have.

2) I got the brown since I wanted to try the 13W size and black wasn't available. The color in actuality is really a milk chocolate brown. Not a color I would choose even on a mens shoe.

So, I'm ok with the heel especially with pants over the top to start. I think I'll de-fem the overall look a bit by going to black. Going to order 12W in black and then I'm very sure I'll be street heeling in them soon!

Got to pack and go. Happy New Year all......

H.

Well done H.Heelman! I like those boots! There's just no reason on Earth why we can't have these kinds of choices in the men's department.. They look great. Good luck with the wife. If she really loves you and is open minded, it should go very well. They're only shoes when the day is done. Charlie

Good to know. They are very quiet with just a bit of the clack / hollow thud noise that jwhite44 mentions. With any kind of background noise, I'm sure you wouldn't hear these at all esp. with the rubber on the bottom and plastic, simulated stacked heel...

You lucked out then, because the two pair of Avenue shoes I've had (one I kept, one I returned) both had what I considered to be noisy heels. Both had what seemed like plastic, hollow heels. Even with them carrying 13W's, and recent 40% off sales, I wasn't motivated to go over to my local store and see what they had.

Like you, I also had to get the pair I kept in brown instead of black. I think it's a darker brown than your pair, also a bit shiny, but still not what I wanted. The black, duller leather-like finish on the Naturalizer pair I have is SO much better. On the other hand, the Avenue shiny boots probably handle getting wet better than others.

As like you, my pair had a slightly higher heel than advertised. I'm guessing that's because heel heights listed are often for 'middle' size shoes, so the largest sizes always tend to get a little bump. That's good, as I'd feel cheated if the actual height was less than advertised.

The 3 1/4" heel on your pair is probably a perfect height. Although those Avenue boots I have had a fine fit, I was always a bit disappointed that they weren't even 3". My Naturalizers are also about 3 1/4" - not too high, not too low.

I hope you enjoy wearing yours.

I tend to prefer a flatter finish on my boots as well. It makes them more appropriate for both more casual as well as more dressy occasions. A boot that's too shiny just doesn't look as good with a casual overall look from my experience and taste. I'm usually happy if the heel height is at least 3" as well. I can wear 3" heeled boots comfortably all day with no comfort issues at all if the boot is generally comfortable fit-wise. I've noticed that with 4" heel height, the fit and general comfort is far more critical for all day wear to be a positive experience. Charlie

... I've noticed that with 4" heel height, the fit and general comfort is far more critical for all day wear to be a positive experience.

Charlie

Wonder if that's because as the heel height rises, it starts to shift more of your weight to the front of your foot. If you have a poorly fitting toebox, I'd think a higher heel shoe would greatly magnify this.

I'd say yes, a poorly fitted toebox would be worse with increasing heel height. Fortunately, a toebox stretcher is something I haven't had to invest in to date. They're expensive! I'd also go as far as to say that it will amplify a vamp that's on the tight side as well. There's also the shoe design itself. Not all 4" heeled boots or shoes are equal. Some are tougher than others even when the fit does feel good. I think this has something to do with how well the heel contact with the floor lines up with where the ball of the foot touches the floor. Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

What do you all reckon?

You haven't had much of a helpful response, antha, but I will try to give one now, albeit a little late in the day.

Those boots are absolutely fine for a start in public heeling. I can say that with confidence as I have a very similar pair (see my avatar) and described here how I chose them: http://www.hhplace.org/everybody/10499-cuban_adventure.html#post158965

Yours look as though they might be better quality than mine (and I like the centre seam!) although the heel is possibly a little lower. There are several other comparable products around (just search 'cuban heel' or similar on eBay) - but be careful with sizing as they might run a little small, especially if they have a pointed toe.

My newest boots are a discreet woman's 'cowboy' style and a little higher - I describe my recent outing in them here: http://www.hhplace.org/guys/10503-streetheeling_what_footwear-19.html#post266465

Good luck with your initial foray into public heeling - putting that first 'toe in the water' certainly takes an effort but you will not reget it.