HHP 2011 Fashion show - Prelude concept

Heelster

After reading a lot of the forum comments about how boring mens footwear is, how hard it is to find larger sizes in the ladies department, intimidation regarding trying on shoes etc when it’s obvious you’re a guy in the girls department, and wishing someone would push the envelope so designers would consider the possibilities, It’s time we looked at how we can do this ourselves.

I’ve been looking over our gallery, and there are some really solid ideas that could be promoted, and lots of room to expand on. What I do see as a concern is how far we want to nudge the fashion industry in general. Oh I’d love to be able to show up at a fashion show wearing a Mini skirt, spider web thigh highs and 6” platform stiletto’s along with a pull over polo and a collectors Cleveland Indians baseball cap. I’m sure I could turn some heads, but it wouldn’t turn into a positive fashion statement. I might make the news, but I wouldn’t be in the ‘emerging trend’ section.

This is where I’m thinking we can get the most bang for the buck. We need to start by creating a style book/gallery with a variety of options that show the modern man as being style conscious, but not scream “tranny” or “Fetish” at the same time. A good starting point might be some of the outfits we have actually worn out and about and nobody really noticed. Boot cut jeans and mid calf boots. Skinny jeans and knee boots, Western boots with under slung 3 to 4 inch heels. Casual dress pants with your basic black pumps. Sandals in the summer, Clogs with a heel. There are options we can present and still maintain the appearance of a married man or a younger man out for a casual evening with his girl friend. I’m betting we have a guy who could pull off a sweater dress, skinny jeans and a 9 west bootie and make it look like it was made for a man.

Regardless, we as men who would like to wear heels need to present ourselves in a way that looks and feels good to ourselves and those around us. Maybe have our wives along in the gallery shots showing us in public. Walking through the shopping mall or out in Central Park. Maybe a couple in matching heels and jeans - - you get the idea.

Gentlemen – This isn’t my show, it’s yours. We have all discussed the “what if’s” and “Why not’s” of the fashion industry. We all realize that if we don’t make the suggestions to the designers, we may never get where we believe we can go. We need to create the next emerging fashion trend and do it in a way that has staying power, and not in the humor section of GQ.

How far we can take this all depends on us. Are you willing to walk a runway in Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans and a pair of basic pumps from Baker shoes??

OK guys, it’s all yours to ponder. I’ll stand back and listen for awhile.

HEELSTER, You make good points. There are venues that hae popped up in the last 1-2 years where some companies have portals that allow you to model clothes you have bought on your latest "haul" from aprticular store. You photograph yourself (or get others to do it with you) modeling clothes or shoes and post it on that company's website which ostensibly gives the company a glance at how everyday people assemble their look instead of looking at uber-skinny supermodels and gives the customer a sense of satisfaction by giving them a creative way to enjoy their new purchases. A store I frequent, Baker Shoes, has a site just like this, called shoeternity.com where women model shoes they either bought at Bakers in most cases, or at other stores, and they model these shoes with other pieces of clothing they've usually also recently bought. A guy could, just as easily model some heels combined with other articles of clothing and watch and see what happens. This is the fastest and most efficient way I know of to convey exactly what you are saying here. While I not yet uploaded any photos of myself this way I have written emails to Bakers headquarters in St. Louis stating trends I have noticed and their legions of overlooked "new customers". I complimented them on their line of styles but criticized them on the dearth of shoes readily available in size 11 and not allowing their store managers the latitude to order what they see is selling the best. So, mu suggestion is for a number of forumers, men, to upload photos onto these websites shwoing how you wear your shoes, no chopped off heads or any of that crap. Only if the companies see that men love their product as well will the machinery of fashion be retooled in our favor. Which is exactly what we want, right??? HappyinHeels

I'm afraid that as soon you combine mini skirts and spider web tights with heels you start to "scream tranny". At least you do for the time being. A better way to make heels acceptable is to combine them with stylish men's clothes... or at least male style clothes. This is partly why I do the full femme thing.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Heelster and happyinheels, you need to search back through Kneehigh's postings and read about how he mixes various items of female clothing with his heels and wears them out and about New York City and other cities around the globe. I'm sure you'll find many useful suggestions for you to evaluate.

I'm afraid that as soon you combine mini skirts and spider web tights with heels you start to "scream tranny". At least you do for the time being. A better way to make heels acceptable is to combine them with stylish men's clothes... or at least male style clothes.

This is partly why I do the full femme thing.

That was kinda my point.

As for full tranny - - I highly doubt I could never pull that off.

Heelster and happyinheels, you need to search back through Kneehigh's postings and read about how he mixes various items of female clothing with his heels and wears them out and about New York City and other cities around the globe. I'm sure you'll find many useful suggestions for you to evaluate.

Good suggestion. Maybe he will make some suggestions himself

Are you willing to walk a runway in Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans and a pair of basic pumps from Baker shoes??

Yes!..... Been thinking of trying a pair of basic black suede pumps with jeans anyway...:)

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

• 4 weeks later...

Kneehighs does wear a lot of female clothing but they are very much in the male style and that was my point. If you copy his example then it will be fine but as I said before, mix with miniskirts and patterned tights and all of a sudden you are a transvestite, like it or not. Why not just buy stylish male clothes and wear heels with them?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Oh I intend on sticking to a 'male look' as much as I can.

I used this picture from our galleries in another post as an example of where I'm thinking we can head toward and still keep it as such.

www.hhplace.org/album.php?albumid=217&pictureid=2817

The mini skirt comment was of course a joke as I wouldn't venture out like that unless it was something like a charity event, Halloween, or a rocky horror show - - especially around these parts.

Hm.... the thread to end all other threads, haha. You know, as I read this, I could imagine myself uploading a photo to Bakers, cause I frequent their site so much, you would think I was site maintenance :) But, I have a pair of heels from there, but they're long too old and probably, by now, long gone from the site and storage house. But I could see myself uploading a pic of me, in the heels (they're black-spotted with a dark shade of gray to finish off; solid 5" heel w/ 1" plat) with black jeans w/ a green seam, and a green shirt I recently received from "Twloha" (fund-like site. Google it). It feels like it would work, in my opinion, as something that would pass as male-wear or everyday wear. Oh, did I mention they're peep-toe? Andd they make quite the ruckus on all types of floor? :lmao: I also have a red shirt to go with a pair of black and red corsetted-like wedges I have. I would just need red seamed jeans to make the look pass. I have a picture, to those who are skeptical of what it looks like. And as I searched, I see another pair that would probably pass further than the first. I have the open-toe pair.

post-5877-133522931689_thumb.jpg

post-5877-133522931691_thumb.jpg

post-5877-133522931692_thumb.jpg

Formally "HHDude"

Hm.... the thread to end all other threads, haha.

You know, as I read this, I could imagine myself uploading a photo to Bakers, cause I frequent their site so much, you would think I was site maintenance :) But, I have a pair of heels from there, but they're long too old and probably, by now, long gone from the site and storage house. But I could see myself uploading a pic of me, in the heels (they're black-spotted with a dark shade of gray to finish off; solid 5" heel w/ 1" plat) with black jeans w/ a green seam, and a green shirt I recently received from "Twloha" (fund-like site. Google it). It feels like it would work, in my opinion, as something that would pass as male-wear or everyday wear. Oh, did I mention they're peep-toe? Andd they make quite the ruckus on all types of floor? :lmao:

I also have a red shirt to go with a pair of black and red corsetted-like wedges I have. I would just need red seamed jeans to make the look pass. I have a picture, to those who are skeptical of what it looks like. And as I searched, I see another pair that would probably pass further than the first. I have the open-toe pair.

Oh - - I like those that first pair, but I have to think that would be too much to throw at the fashion designers as a male heel. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I seriously think we have to be a bit more subtle in the beginning. Maybe I'm a bit conservative.

OK - - I'm looking through our galleries and this shot struck me as simple, comfortable, and yet somewhat strikingly simple. Easily done.

www.hhplace.org/album.php?albumid=488&pictureid=5178y

Maybe the question is, how far can we go and still keep it from being over the edge, but more of a teaser.

I should be taking pictures with my friend in the morning. Hope I can get there. Gonna be pic-cing me with the various heels I have, and I guess I'll be bringing the Bakers' I have with me. They're the only moderate pair of heels I have (I have another pair, but...well, I should sell those :) ).

Formally "HHDude"