Phone wars - Myphone vs yourphone! Flame away!

I really ought to get a smartphone to replace my ancient Motorola K1. Everyone says they love their iphone but I'm not an Apple fanboy so I'm dithering. Definitely not windows, so I'm biased towards 'droid. I can predict Tech's answer - get an iphone - you'll love it.

Fussing about? Your talking about maybe 5 seconds from the start to finish, to call somebody

It takes me about 5 seconds to start a call but usually up to an hour to finish it.

I don't think that's a fault of the iphone though.

I really ought to get a smartphone to replace my ancient Motorola K1. Everyone says they love their iphone but I'm not an Apple fanboy so I'm dithering. Definitely not windows, so I'm biased towards 'droid. I can predict Tech's answer - get an iphone - you'll love it.

I say try it before you buy it. Find somebody with an android, who is willing to "Give you a tour" of it, and its features. I have no idea what the android can or cant do, so I'm not in a position to say. Try both, properly, and I mean really try them, not just watch while somebody else pushes some buttons for 5 minutes too.

It takes me about 5 seconds to start a call but usually up to an hour to finish it.

I don't think that's a fault of the iphone though.

lol, I'm really naughty like that, I'm off the phone as fast as possible, I'm like "Hi, yep, got that, ok, bye......." Even when my parents call, I'm like "Hi, whats up?, no seriously, whats up because I'm busy? Nothing? ok, bye..."

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

lol, I'm really naughty like that, I'm off the phone as fast as possible, I'm like "Hi, yep, got that, ok, bye......." Even when my parents call, I'm like "Hi, whats up?, no seriously, whats up because I'm busy? Nothing? ok, bye..."

I'm with you on that .. was raised in house where my grandfather would stand by the door tapping his watch and saying 3 minutes - didnt matter, short distance, long distance or international. If you couldnt say it in 3 minutes, then he advised you write a letter or go and see the person. Its rubbed off on me but the only person who doesnt seem to get it is my boss .. and its always when Im on roaming :)

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

On the subject of roaming, I hate the fact that I can't pick up and use a cheap local sim card in my iphone in whatever country I happen to be in.

Why not? Your phone locked to a single network?

Amanda, Tech's iphone's on a pay-as-you-go tariff; he can put whatever sim he likes in it. Yours will be on a contract with o2, locking the phone but with the purchase price subsidised, to some extent, by o2. That way you get hardware upgrades free as long as you stay in contract. But no, you can't swap sims around. You'd lose functionality and all web access. Which would be a pity...

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." Nietzsche.

My phone is also PAYG. I bought it myself. It has no contract but it seems locked into O2.

I used to swap sim cards over in my old Nokia 9000 when I travel but now those days are over. The 9000 even had a facility for 2 sims.

Amanda,

Tech's iphone's on a pay-as-you-go tariff; he can put whatever sim he likes in it.

Yours will be on a contract with o2, locking the phone but with the purchase price subsidised, to some extent, by o2. That way you get hardware upgrades free as long as you stay in contract.

But no, you can't swap sims around. You'd lose functionality and all web access.

Which would be a pity...

Amanda,

Tech's iphone's on a pay-as-you-go tariff; he can put whatever sim he likes in it.

Yours will be on a contract with o2, locking the phone but with the purchase price subsidised, to some extent, by o2. That way you get hardware upgrades free as long as you stay in contract.

But no, you can't swap sims around. You'd lose functionality and all web access.

Which would be a pity...

I wouldnt say "Free", when you look at the contract prices. My sister got an iphone with T-Mobile and they said "Sure you can have an iphone, so long as we put your contract up by an extra £25 a month for the next 2 years, to £45 a month", so really, she bought a £500 model, for £600, and is tied in for 2 years... lol

I have a BlackBerry 8900 and I love it, to be honest though the poor thing is getting old if it could make me sandwiches and had a suitable hole I would marry it and make sweet, sweet funky love to it.

Given that the iphone is touch screen, there is probably an app for that too :)

Given that the iphone is touch screen, there is probably an app for that too :)

I can see your average iphone user smushing his wang into his iphone even if he don't have an app. But with that feeble screen I am sure you would break it. I think you can damage it just by looking in its general direction with too much gusto.

22 Months with a Storm and that is almost how long it has taken to get software sorted finally to make it work properly! except it will not behave in BT audio transmit while walking and will interrupt at passing radio signals limited video codec compatibility camera that is more vga than 3.2 now so out of date and slow it's still the joke it was when new. every clone around me has Iphones Currently looking at the dell streak or galaxy s (I always a bit shy to streak) Trying to wait until after Christmas Oh my old motorola A1000s (3 off) are still working as gps even the oldest is 6 years old so I do look after them. Al

As horrible as this sounds, my take is, the manual is on the phone, and if your not smart enough to find it, you shouldnt be using the phone in the first place lol.... :)

Of course, there was a time, way back in the deep, dark recesses of long-forgotten history, when one did not *need* a manual to use a phone! (Just imagine!) But then, that was back in the days when phones were heavy, clumsy instruments that were screwed to walls or sat on tables or desks and had to be attached to the network by means of long filaments of copper commonly called "wires". But in those days, you never had to even think about how many "bars" you had, or how much juice was left in your battery or where you left your charger!

Have a happy time!

Currently looking at the dell streak or galaxy s (I always a bit shy to streak)

Trying to wait until after Christmas

Oh my old motorola A1000s (3 off) are still working as gps even the oldest is 6 years old so I do look after them.

Al

I was also looking at the Dell streak before I even thought about the iphone, but looked up a lot of reviews on youtube and find a lot of people doing comparisons of both the iphone and the sctreak, anf the galaxy amoung others, and the streak comes out fairly poorly in the battery life department, as well as looking like a Tea tray as its so big, its camera is on par with most blackberry phones too, so for me, it was a nooooo..

The guy in the Vodafone store showed me the galaxy the other day too, and for the price, it was pretty awful actually, especially if you compare it to a laptop of the same £500 price range, or an ipad...

I'm no apple fan, not by a long shot, but seeing the way these apps work, I'd say apple arnt even approving half of them or checking them, so it "seems" developers can release pretty much anything, even things that dont work properly.... My impression is, if you can turn it into an app, you can get it into itunes...

I'm no apple fan, not by a long shot, but seeing the way these apps work, I'd say apple arnt even approving half of them or checking them, so it "seems" developers can release pretty much anything, even things that dont work properly.... My impression is, if you can turn it into an app, you can get it into itunes...

Same for the BB.

I think all the smart phones are dragging every once of juice out of the battery, if I visit facebook early in the day or have an alert I need to reboot the phone to close off the wap link.

I have to admit I like big screens even when Nokia was doing small phones and many bought them I was ribbed for getting the 5640? (the one from tomb raider "cradle of life").

Al

Of course, there was a time, way back in the deep, dark recesses of long-forgotten history, when one did not *need* a manual to use a phone! (Just imagine!) But then, that was back in the days when phones were heavy, clumsy instruments that were screwed to walls or sat on tables or desks and had to be attached to the network by means of long filaments of copper commonly called "wires". But in those days, you never had to even think about how many "bars" you had, or how much juice was left in your battery or where you left your charger!

Hey I still have one of those! It even has a round *dial* with ten holes in it that you place a finger in and spin to input the number you wish to dial. Seems archaic but it still functions and as you said no manual needed.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

The one thing more than any other that puts me off an iphone is itunes, it's awful. If I want to add music to my Android phone it's just a matter of plugging it in with a normal usb cable and dragging it into the music folder. I can copy stuff off it the same way if I want to too.

One day away from upgrade date.... Someone hinted about the HTC Desire HD, re, larger screen @4.3" than the std model checking the reviews, short battery life otherwise pretty good in general, any others out there tried one. As mentioned previously I've been looking at the streak but don't really want to move from Vodafone to O2 as the Voda passport package fits me better. decisions, decisions, at least it doesn't read like the storm in it's early days. Thanks Al

My old Nokia is 6 years old. It's one of those unbreakable rubber encased phones. I signed an 18 month contract earlier this year and kept my old phone. I pay £12 a month for 600 minutes and unlimited texts! If my phone does die, I will just go to one of the high street Vodafone shops and buy the cheapest pay as you go Nokia for about £25 and chuck the sim card away at the till. I have 2 Apple Mac computers, a Nikon DSLR, a Playstation, an iPod shuffle and a car. I just want a phone that does calling and texting and is unlikely to get stolen or broken.

took the jump last night, local voda shop couldn't be bothered to demo the desire so I walked out played with the dell 10 shops away, the o2 staff were as they should be courteous. Impressed with its speed and reaction makes my storm dial up slow. Upgraded to 2.2 Froyo and even more impressive. DIVX movies are like WOW. tea tray it may be and needs good pockets to fit in (or a manbag):) numerous pouches and cases available some at silly prices. Al