The Ashes

There are quite a few HHP members who are from the UK and a few less from Australia. Is anyone following the Ashes? Do any heelers play club cricket? Aussies off to a good start. Highlight of the day HAD to be Sid Sid's* hattrick! Ian Bell batted really well for the poms... he looks in good form. What are your series predictions?? .....Discuss :wave: *Sid Sid is Peter Siddle. My brother and I have many "inside jokes"... one of them is to call the players by the first three letters (sometimes 2 or 4 where necessary) of the surname repeated once.

Call me Tights!

I've got a feeling there's going to be a surprise. I don't believe that Australia is good enough to beat us by a convincing margin. I think it's the pitch and I won't be surprised to see the aussies struggling to reach the target and could yet be forced to follow on.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I guess not many cricket fans here, Dr Shoe. I highly doubted any follow on given England scored only 260 (would've meant Australia would have been bowled for less than 160 or 110). 307 run partnership from Hussey and Haddin.. unbelievable effort from Huss given his prior test form. 3rd Innings now and Strauss has got off the mark after a lbw appeal. I didn't think it was out.. Ponting completely wasting a challenge.

Call me Tights!

The thing about cricket is that you get a few flukey bowling sessions and maybe a flukey partnership. So far the entire Aussie team has been carried by outstanding contributions from just three players, the rest has been mediocre to say the least.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The thing about cricket is that you get a few flukey bowling sessions and maybe a flukey partnership. So far the entire Aussie team has been carried by outstanding contributions from just three players, the rest has been mediocre to say the least.

Heh... after recent events you could say the same about England.

I didn't get to watch the last 2 days of the Test but WHOA!! Such a massive improvement from England's top order as well as a decline for Australia's bowlers (in England's 2nd innings compared to their first). Usually batting gets harder as the pitch cracks up but obviously not on this occasion.

Well... it will be interesting to see how the series goes. Go Aussies!

Call me Tights!

Yeah, 517 for 1! As I said before, Australia had a flukey first innings and it was only the talents of three players who saved Australia from a defeat. However, I suppose you could say the same about England too. My prediction for the series will be a narrow victory or a draw, I don't think either team are good enough to thrash the other. I am not expecting any whitewashes.

But you need some input. (sorry won't happen again)

There have been 3 users other than myself who have been contributing just fine! (...and I appreciate it :lmao: )

Anywho... Australia's problems are being exposed.

I haven't been able to watch much of the 2nd test but it seems like I shouldn't really want to!

Selectors can't settle on a line-up for the bowlers because the bowlers are out of form. Batsmen are also out of form (particularly Ponting and Clarke) and Australia has a (almost complete) lack of batting depth - as evidenced by Marcus North still getting a game. Steep decline of Australia's fielding (maybe due to old age!!).

But to put that in summary.... Australia are no longer a force in international cricket (...we're shit :) ). We'd probably defeat the West Indies and New Zealand (and maybe Pakistan) but no other major cricketing nations.

All credit to England. 1 for 500 and 5 for 600 are phenomenal batting displays! Bowlers are getting the job done too.

Call me Tights!

As I said before, it's only a flukey innings of one or two batsmen and maybe some lucky bowling that can swing a game either way. It's day 4 and England still need to get rid of another 5 or 6 batsmen... Unless there's a catastrophic collapse, I predict another draw.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes. It's heading for a comprehensive victory for England now. I'm guessing I underestimated England and overestimated Australia. It will be interesting to see what the summer of 2012 brings.

Yup.... From the 4th innings of the first test (Perth test excepted) we were comprehensively beaten. The main difference is England were more disciplined (and skilled). Australia's bowlers could not bowl a consistent line and our batsmen did not have the patience England did and were often dismissed playing balls they could have left alone. There's a reason Australia are 5th in the Test rankings and they showed it this series :) Look forward to an Aussie Cricket rebuild and regaining The Ashes in England.

Call me Tights!