Replacing hooks with eyelets

geo_t

I've got a pair of Domina 2020 boots that I wear as often as possible this time of year, but having to lace up the hooks each takes time. They have a zipper, but it's mostly useless since when you unzip the zipper, all the hooks come undone. Does anyone think it would be possible to remove the hooks (they have holes like eyelets) and replace with normal eyelets so I can use the zipper for fastening without having to re-lace each time?

I've got a pair of Domina 2020 boots that I wear as often as possible this time of year, but having to lace up the hooks each takes time. They have a zipper, but it's mostly useless since when you unzip the zipper, all the hooks come undone. Does anyone think it would be possible to remove the hooks (they have holes like eyelets) and replace with normal eyelets so I can use the zipper for fastening without having to re-lace each time?

Hi there. I think you must go to a person that knows how to replace zips and ask him to fit a heavy duty zip as they use in tents. I am sure that they can do something for you. Good luck... Please let me know if you had any luck.

......but it's mostly useless since when you unzip the zipper, all the hooks come undone.....

Try squeezing up the hooks with pliers so the laces don't come out when you undo the zip. You might want to put a thin rod, such as a small screwdriver, in each hook where the lace should be and try to close the hook round that. Otherwise just squeeze each hook round the lace.

I love the eyelet lacing especially on vintage boots but for the opposite reason: The fun of lacing boots up! It seems that this isn't fun for you. at9 gave you the easiest method. The problem with changeing fast lace hooks with eyelets would be the removement of the hooks. You have to take care not tearing the leather by removing the hooks. Inserting the eyelets would not be a problem with the right sized eyelets and the right tool. By the way: How do you lace your boots up? Hook by hook? There is a really quick method by grabbing both ends of the laces and lace the up together.

I always lace up from the beginning each time with hooks and eyes. It's part of the pleasure - and it also allows me to get the whole line straight up my legs.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"