Why men's shoes are boring

Steve63130

when I am suited up my shoes should make me feel powerful or at least make me feel that I am looking good

Hi Confused, and welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean. But after years of wearing boring shoes, a few years ago I found (and have since worn) these shoes to work with a suit. They certainly make me feel powerful and I get compliments on them from time to time:

Jeffery West Rochester Simon (2" heel)

Jeffery West Rochester Timothy (2" heel)

Jeffery West Rochester Boots (2" heel)

YSL Johnny Boot (2.5" heel) - You can get these in a plain black / brogue style. They cost around £400 from the YSL stores in London.

None of them are cheap - more of an investment buy - but they are all very well made. But it does seem that us guys have to spend a lot of money to get something stylish, whilst women can get stylish shoes relatively cheaply.

The boots Rob mentions are all eminently wearable and certainly not boring. As he says, the problem is the price and I agree with him that we need more stylish men's shoes that are not only readily available but more affordable.

The Paolo Vandini range is worth looking at. I have these boots:

http://www.vandinishoes.com/17,8,paolo_vandini_veer_collection.Veer_4_Mens_Leather_Boot_Winklepicker_Black.html#

- very comfortable soft leather and with a 1.75" heel; they are favourites of mine (and were bought on eBay in first class condition for about £30!). This is a similar boot with (I think) a centre seam:

http://www.vandinishoes.com/17,109,paolo_vandini_veer_collection.Lazarus_Mens_Winklepicker_Boot_Leather_Black.html#

These boots have a more obvious and higher cuban heel (height not specified but probably about 2.25") and would be worth looking at:

http://www.vandinishoes.com/29,166,just_arrived_.Vandini_Veer_12_Winklepicker_Boot_Black_Leather.html#

A cuban heel looks much better to me on a boot (or possibly a slip-on shoe) than on a lace-up - but then I don't much like lace-ups. And it must have some narrowness and taper in the back and sides ( i.e. not be too 'blocky') if the shoe is not to appear too clumpy. For the same reason, at least a semi-pointed toe is a must, imho.

Hey Puffer,

The wing-tip oxfords are suppose to be one of the top line footwear for men. They are repulsive to me, but for many years I had to wear them anyway. Now, laced work and sports shoes really turns me off, but I wear them to satisfy social expectations and deflect the constant ridicule and demeaning attitudes I would get should I wear the footwear of my choosing all the time, publicly. I realize it make my pulic heeling hypocritical, but that's the world I have created for me in order to cope.

Histiletto,

You have concisely captured what many of us feel who have experienced the Florsheim Imperial Wingtip Oxford business shoe requirement when working "downtown". Miserably heavy, clumsy and unfortunately made to last forever. In about 1978, I finally stepped away and got 2 really different (for the times) pair for work: French Shriner low-vamp lace-up cap-toes and taller heeled Ferragammo tassled slip-ons. What a relief...and didn't get fired. Still have and use them regularly, but infrequently as my office is now about 20 paces from the bedroom. For (very) ocassional black-tie, Georgio Brutini not-patent slip-on pumps with an unfortunatly low heel. At 5' 7", I need all the heel I can get away with.

Such a shame there is no email address for the editor. I guess he would be bombarded by comments from members of this forum.

Ian G

You got that right friend,

Lack of style

Lack of color

Lack of flair but that gos for all of mens fashions too what the world needs is Equality in Fashions.

post-5557-133522931266_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522931272_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522931274_thumb.jpg

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

By chance, I came across the website of Yesstyle.com, which is a Hong Kong business but ships worldwide (free of charge on orders of more than $150). It lists a range of men's shoes called 'Deepstyle' which appear to come from Korea; see http://www.yesstyle.com/en/deepstyle-mens-shoes/list.html/bcc.11537_bpt.299_bid.311493 The size range is rather erratic; some but not all are available up to 300mm (approx equivalent to UK11 or USM12). Prices are mostly on the high side but some styles are currently discounted.

Several of the styles shown are quite 'dressy' and feature modest high (cuban) heels. One style, called 'Handmade boots' (sizes to 300mm), features a 100mm block heel and a platform sole of around 25mm - rather chunky in my view but indicative that high heels for men are being offered as normal wear. Are they more commonly worn by men in Korea or elsewhere in Asia than in the US or Europe?

The range is available elsewhere on the web and may interest some members.