Old school muscle car love

Today was an awesome day! I found and acquired something I've been lacking for some time - a nice BEEFY car with some OOMPH under the hood! My friends went out north of Billings to Shepherd, MT where this guy had some vehicles for sale - amongst them was this sheer beauty - a 1971 Ford LTD.....2-door.....for only $300! I knew I wanted to pick this bad boy up, and after a week of soul-searching, we went for it. We went out to meet the guy selling it and it is gorgeous! The body is just about perfect on the outside aside from some missing trim and slight surfact rust in one area, and the inside was just about as immaculate! Here's the kicker.....she has a 400 big block in it with under 50K ORIGINAL miles! 39 years old and it has THAT low of mileage?? REALLY??? We plopped a new battery in it, gave it some fresh go-juice, and OH BOY did it run! YEAH! Needless to say, she's my new pride and joy, and I'm gonna have fun cruising around town once again!

post-29-133522927915_thumb.jpg

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Not wild about the colour but then again the 70's werent the best for it. Bet she doesnt pass too many petrol pumps comfortably :wave: Otherwise NICE! have fun with it

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

Funny thing about old cars getting into places........ I had a 1973 Dodge Charger some years ago, and it had "series 60" tires (the fat ones) all the way around it, and it made it to where I couldn't use an automatic car wash, because the wheelbase was too wide, so I had to go use the manual washers! i had to laugh about that one. You mean my car is plus-sized, so it won't fit in your skinny-mini washer? Puh-leeze! LOL! It's all good though, because auto-washers are just there for those who are too lazy to get out and wash it themselves. Then again, any car wash is for those too lazy to go out with a bucket of soapy water, a sponge, and a hose!

Love washing me car only twice a year though. Must admit old metal is the best, Take my hat off to those guys that keep old machines going. I drive a twenty year old Land Rover Discovery bought it new, and will keep it till I go.

life is not a rehearsal

Today was an awesome day! I found and acquired something I've been lacking for some time - a nice BEEFY car with some OOMPH under the hood! My friends went out north of Billings to Shepherd, MT where this guy had some vehicles for sale - amongst them was this sheer beauty - a 1971 Ford LTD.....2-door.....for only $300!

I knew I wanted to pick this bad boy up, and after a week of soul-searching, we went for it. We went out to meet the guy selling it and it is gorgeous! The body is just about perfect on the outside aside from some missing trim and slight surfact rust in one area, and the inside was just about as immaculate!

Here's the kicker.....she has a 400 big block in it with under 50K ORIGINAL miles! 39 years old and it has THAT low of mileage?? REALLY??? We plopped a new battery in it, gave it some fresh go-juice, and OH BOY did it run! YEAH! Needless to say, she's my new pride and joy, and I'm gonna have fun cruising around town once again!

OMG SQ That car is Cherry, Its a real beauty. You lucky duck, to find that car. Its a grand auto to have, they were the bomb new and were nicely appointed with amenities. Good luck with your car, its a great find and a dang nice car.

Best Wishes

Asa

P.S. I tuned up a many of them as my time as a gear head. Tough little cars they were.

• 2 weeks later...

All this '60s/70's car talk's got me all nostalgic...I still miss my '63 light metallic blue Buic Riveria. Was pretty then, and still is. One day...

I know the feeling, 1974 Mustang Mach 1 with the smallest engine Ford ever put into one a 2.8L (171 cubic inches.) Cute little motor 0-60 in roughly 6 seconds and 33mpg on the highway. Alas I can't drive it at this time because the floor rusted out under the drivers seat, one good bump and I'm afraid for my derrière.

T&H

P.S. Need I mention the motor has a few tricks done to it?:wave:

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Nice find SQ! I love the way it looks. the colour is not my style but the shape is to die for! My '76 dodge dart is missing the road at the moment. (Her transmission is about to shoot craps:penitent:) I miss driving it. Happy driving.

Hey Tights, After 18+ years, my wife had the same problem with a much used, seldom washed BMW 320. A visiting cousin noticed floor carpeting visibly bristling out BELOW the rocker panel on her side. I found a guy in a small welding shop who jacked the floor pan back into position, then used a purloined speed limit sign to weld the whole thing in place. Worked like a champ and less than $ 200 as memory serves. Once again proof of the mantra of the older generation: "Its cheaper to repair than to buy new". Do get that '74 pony out of the stable...needs some exercise! I know, I know, nothing directgly about heeling, but banging away at the three pedals for 18 years in her heels probably started the whole thing.

Problem is at this point the old pony needs a lot more work, plus the pan is pretty much shot from peddles to the hind end of the front seat. But trust me she is scheduled for some rather extensive cosmetic surgery once Mrs. T&H is out of grad school.

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Problem is at this point the old pony needs a lot more work, plus the pan is pretty much shot from peddles to the hind end of the front seat. But trust me she is scheduled for some rather extensive cosmetic surgery once Mrs. T&H is out of grad school.

Agreed...there's NO substitute for education. Knowledge is the only thing I know of that cannot be taken from you without killing you. That's valuable!

Maybe this will be my "third time's the charm" car, because: 1st one: 1965 Ford Galaxie 500, white on turquoise, 352 stock, body straight as an arrow. Was going to sell it, guy took it around the block for a test drive, and it never came back *headdesk* 2nd one: 1973 Dodge Charger, metallic midnight blue, 440 w/4 barrel - NICE car, but I lost my job, so it got repo'd. Story goes some teens bought it after me and promptly blew the motor in it. Needless to say, I'm a lot wiser now, and this one is PAID FOR - no payments! She just got a new alternator and battery in her, along with an oil change, so now it's just the rest of the normal maintenance stuff that needs to be done. The rear end is a bit low, but I can't afford to replace the springs in it, so I'll have to get creative for a solution in the meantime. It's fully driveable though and is strong! I'll take some more pics sometime to post somewhere.

Today was an awesome day! I found and acquired something I've been lacking for some time - a nice BEEFY car with some OOMPH under the hood! My friends went out north of Billings to Shepherd, MT where this guy had some vehicles for sale - amongst them was this sheer beauty - a 1971 Ford LTD.....2-door.....for only $300!

Can't believe u got it for 300.00!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Awseome!!!! It's beautiful. Enjoy!!!

My 80 chev silverado. Built it from the ground up. Now has a 402 big block fully blown with a shift kit and possy. ETC :)

post-3305-133522929301_thumb.jpg

post-3305-133522929305_thumb.jpg

real men wear heels

The rear end is a bit low, but I can't afford to replace the springs in it, so I'll have to get creative for a solution in the meantime.

May I suggest coil over helper springs, they go over the rear shocks to increase payload capacity but also do wonders for sagging rears.

My 80 chev silverado. Built it from the ground up. Now has a 402 big block fully blown with a shift kit and possy. ETC :)

Blown and completely under the hood, sweet. The proverbial sleeper sure hope you enjoy that bad boy (or girl depending on the trucks personality.)

T&H

Yes you may suggest that, tightsnheels! Sounds like a wonderful idea! I'll let you know how it all pans out once I get a bit more money to throw into this beastie. Johnieheel, that is one outstanding ride you have there my friend. A nice sweet sleeper that'll blow the doors off of people around you. For some reason, the engine hesitates on accelerating from a stop, and sometimes is hard to start right away - I'm wondering if it's the fuel pump or perhaps just a clogged up fuel filter. I'll do the cheap part first, and then go from there.

Nostalgic.

It all makes me sad, remembering back:mecry:

I picked up a 66 mustang just before I moved out of London down to the south coast as a rebuild project, bit of a mess just untidy 98% complete and running for £300 in 1984. Got us down no problem but just lost the finances to do it up, disappointing bit was the engine it was the baby straight 6 200ci.

I would guess it may have been a fleet hire car when at home? Why have a small lump in a nice pony. A 289 would be ideal plan. :lmao:

However it went, engine one way and the shell another due to cracks between backwheel arch and back window corner. No one would advise or do a fix.:):lmao:

I found an example of it and thanks to the owners (Moira and Bert in Carbondale, Colorado, was/is for sale) for the picture.

For you guys out there with some serious muscle and neat gear, I'm jealous DO enjoy

I hope SQ that your baby gets with out too much expense

Al

post-14144-133522929318_thumb.jpg

Glad you liked the coil over idea, as to the hesitation if the filter doesn't fix it you may consider the accelerator pump, its a small rubber diaphragm on the carburetor and they get stiff and perforated from sitting too long.

Also if it were to need a carburetor consider finding a local mechanic that can rebuild it for you as my local parts suppliers have warned me that the store bought rebuilts aren't worth the money.

T&H