Quality of shoes: Regular store vs Outlet

whitetop03

Recently I saw something on tv, where the newscaster was claiming that the quality of merchandise bought at brand outlet stores is lower that merchandise bought at the brand regular stores. Has anybody seen this when it come to shoes? I have been buying Nine West shoes for the last few years and I haven't seen any difference in the quality between the shoes in the outlets and the regular stores.

Some of the items sold at outlet stores have minor defects, that will not effect the over all quality of the item. Or it could be repackaged, returned items that the companies cannot sell in their mainline stores. However, the vast majority of the items that they sell at outlet stores, are left over items from the last season and or items that have been supercieded by newer and improved versions of the product in their main line stores. Some items just do not sell at main line stores. The compainies want to get some return for their investment, while at the same time protecting the company's image and brand name. Factory outlet stores are a way to do that.

One thing we have seen is the outlet stores prices are not any better than the mainline stores, so don't always assume your getting a better deal. Scatch and dent sales, obsolete product lines etc. are the usual.

Actually, there is some truth to that statement. Lots of stuff sold in outlet stores are specifically made for outlet stores. Mulberry bags sold are different to their proper lines. Most Clarks shoes sold in their outlets are not seconds but cheaper product lines (not much last season stuff ends up in their outlet stores).

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Some of the items sold at outlet stores have minor defects, that will not effect the over all quality of the item. Or it could be repackaged, returned items that the companies cannot sell in their mainline stores.

However, the vast majority of the items that they sell at outlet stores, are left over items from the last season and or items that have been replaced by newer and improved versions of the product in their main line stores.

Some items just do not sell at main line stores. The companies want to get some return for their investment, while at the same time protecting the company's image and brand name. Factory outlet stores are a way to do that.

I believe this is true. Back in my "boyhood" days, an "outlet mall," Potomac Mills," was built about 40 miles south of Washington, DC. Our family went to see what is was all about shortly after it opened. I remember hearing one of the merchants explaining to my Mother that, the merchandise was "unsold" or overstocked items collected from other retail stores, usually in the same chain as well as some other stores that made a business out of buying left over or out of fashion merchandise to sell at discounted prices.

Visiting this same mall, several years later, it seems that because of the popularity of the place, the prices of things wasn't reduced as much as you would think it would be for "discount" stores.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Basically what the local newscast said was that things may appear to be the same, but some retailers have found that they can make a second version of their items, using less expensive materials, and sell them at a discount compared to their main store items. Even though the price is discounted, the company is making as much profit on these items as their original items, due to the cheaper materials. I haven't noticed this in the shoes at Nine West, even though they are marked as outlet store shoes. Have any of you noticed any difference if quality between regular and outlet shoe stores?

One thing I notced about outlet stores is the hit or miss quality of service. In my area, several of the stores I go to, have only a couple of clueless cashiers up front, and were restocking the shelves after hours. The high end stores, like electronic stores had better service, but not as good as the regular stores.

A few years ago whilst doing freelance design for a fashion company, I was asked to design a range of T shirts to sell in TK Maxx. Part of my brief was to make the designs look like they were from a couple of seasons back as they were to sell as 'old stock'. My girlfriend works as a buyer for a BIG fashion company and they have discovered cheaper made but otherwise identical versions of their stuff in TK Maxx. Some had the official brand labels in them some were generic but still the same. So in answer to the original question it would seem to be true. Cheers, Ben

Clarks I would say yes it is different stock, in Portsmouth there is a main store (commercial road) and an outlet in Gunwharf. I got a pair of block heeled Oxford brogues at half price yet there was nothing similar at the outlet that I had seen at the main store. I can honestly say that the outlet store was disappointing in both styles and quality. Even the smaller Gosport and Fareham stores had a better quality/nicer looking. Clarks are never pushing height and are rarely at 4", mostly top out at 3.5/3.75 with more "sensible" styles. Al

At most Nine West Outlet stores I see some really good sales associates, but sometimes I see totally clueless sales associates that are usually under the age of 30. The vast majority of their stock is from the previous season, but they occssionally will have some of the latest offerings. I also noticed that shoes from the regular stores are marked with the shoe name inside the shoe, while the same shoe from an outlet store has the same name printed inside, but it has an O on the end of the name, indicating outlet. This tells me that the company already determined what type of venue they are going to sell each shoe at as it leaves the factory. This makes me wonder if there is any difference in the quality, even though I can't actully see any difference.

What you all have stated about the operational premise of an outlet mall is quite accurate but I would add one other component. That is the construction of these malls usually takes place near an interstate highway corridor, either a single very busy artery or the intersection of two such highways and on the periphery of a large metropolitan area or just inside a neighboring state to take advantage of a lower sales tax. There is such an outlet mall named "Prime Outlets" just south of me along Interstate 94. It is located in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin just two miles north of the Illinois/Wisconsin border. The sales tax in Illinois varies from 7.5-10% but the sales tax in WIsconsin is 5.0-5.5%, an added incentive. There are even better examples such as outlets in extreme eastern Pennsylvania catering to customers from pricey New Jersey and New York who take advantage of paying ZERO sales tax on clothing, shoes, and furniture in Pennsylvania. The one thing I have noticed about shoe shopping at outlets is that sizes are more limted than in the mainline stores. HappyinHeels

What you all have stated about the operational premise of an outlet mall is quite accurate but I would add one other component. That is the construction of these malls usually takes place near an interstate highway corridor, either a single very busy artery or the intersection of two such highways and on the periphery of a large metropolitan area or just inside a neighboring state to take advantage of a lower sales tax. There is such an outlet mall named "Prime Outlets" just south of me along Interstate 94. It is located in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin just two miles north of the Illinois/Wisconsin border. The sales tax in Illinois varies from 7.5-10% but the sales tax in WIsconsin is 5.0-5.5%, an added incentive. There are even better examples such as outlets in extreme eastern Pennsylvania catering to customers from pricey New Jersey and New York who take advantage of paying ZERO sales tax on clothing, shoes, and furniture in Pennsylvania. The one thing I have noticed about shoe shopping at outlets is that sizes are more limted than in the mainline stores.

HappyinHeels

There is a Prime Outlet mall on I-71 between Columbus and Cincinnati. Always busy. I don't think sales tax has much to do with it in Ohio. I wasn't really impressed when I went there.

Whitetop, As an accountant I can tell you that VERY small differences in materials quality, say 2 or 3 cents per unit, adds up to large cost savings and the ability to sell much more cheaply. Its all in the sales volume, nationally & internationally. Really adds up. The materials buyers at the manufacturing level, mostly in China these days, do know their business and are quite good at substitutions. Takes experienced eyes to tell the differences.