SW Airline magazine article on heels

Rockpup

Saw a one page thing giving a quick history of heels, as starting for men, but men dropping them when women adopted them. Nice pumps in he pic. I thought it was fitting, as I was flying out of Baltimore wearing 4" heeled boots.

post-488-133522926482_thumb.jpg

(formerly known as "JimC")

This is such a short, pleasant, and insightful article and I never thought something like this would be in an airline magazine. My appreciation goes to who ever is responsible for its presentation. The idea that the stereotypically, all-powerful, and mighty male cowers and yields to the whims of feminine appropriations has accurately depicted the course that men "publicly" took for the wearing of high heels. To bad it didn't have the addendum that men have periodically worn heels at different times since and are now actively reclaiming their place as high heelers again in the twenty-first century.

Might be good to carry copies of that one-page article with us in our shoulder bags or handbags (JeffB, are you listening?) to hand out the unwashed masses when they inquire why we're wearing heels: "Why, to reclaim our former status, of course! We're taking them back!" :wave: Steve

Nice find! I'll be flying SWA into Baltimore next week. I'll look for it in the mag. I'll be wearing 3" heels - either Naturalizer pumps or Clark's clogs - I haven't decided.

Steve

Any chance that article might be online??

If you get a chance to read it, see if there is a link to the article for those of us who won't be flying in the near future.

as it reads "as with many other cultural practices once something becomes popular among women, men stop using and wearing the item", truth, it hapens with skirts too and hose/tighs.....pitty for the president positions men lost, ...kiddin,

V. Morpho

Hi JimC, Thanks for the article by Margo Demello, and thanks to BobHH and Heelster for finding in online. It would be interesting to find Margo Demello and introduce her to the "Reclaimers" of mens shoe history, that would be us. Awesome, it just needed to be a mans leg to set it off.....haha. Mtnsofheels

Well, what goes around, comes around. Men wearing high heels off-and-on again throughout history seems to be a repeating trend. I hope it's time for the trend of men wearing high heels is about to swing this direction again.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find! I'll be flying SWA into Baltimore next week. I'll look for it in the mag. I'll be wearing 3" heels - either Naturalizer pumps or Clark's clogs - I haven't decided.

Steve

Well, I flew to Baltimore as promised, and found the article, tore it out and kept it. But even more amazing is this. On November 1 we flew back, and since it was a new month, the Southwest magazine had changed. As I was thumbing through it, an advertisement for Garmin caught my eye. It shows Garmin's new 3790 navigator on edge to show how slim it is (9 mm), right next to the back of a stiletto pump. The title is "Slim and sexy" and the text reads "...if making an impression is as important as getting to your destination, this is your GPS."

The ad sure made an impression on me! LOL

:wave:

Steve

post-19919-1335229276_thumb.jpg