Worst Winter in the last 1,000 Years?

Not to be an alarmist, but this is scary.....Perhaps, for those of you that live in the more northerly exposed geographic locations, it might be best if you get shopping for your winter clothes and boots before much longer.........

Coldest winter in 1,000 years on its way

permalinke-mail story to a friendprint version

Published 04 October, 2010, 22:20

Edited 06 October, 2010, 05:18

After the record heat wave this summer, Russia's weather seems to have acquired a taste for the extreme.

Share4973 Yahoo StumbleUpon Google Technorati

del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mixx Propeller

Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years.

The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

A glacier broke off from Greenland this past summer (about the size of the one that the Titanic hit) due to global warming. I am by no means a scientist or any way an expert in science. But I do know when the cold fresh water hits the gulf stream warm salt water, that is when discrepancies in the weather start to occur and drastic temperature, usually colder do occur.

well now, speaking for myself, I've got about 7 mini galciers (called ice cubes I think) in my glass of water right now as I type!!:wave: LOL

well now, speaking for myself, I've got about 7 mini galciers (called ice cubes I think) in my glass of water right now as I type!!:( LOL

That's a good thing if the glass contains some sort of adult beverage in addition to the mini glaciers....:wave::(

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

We were born ready :wave:

Ready to moan, complain, bitch and whine, but only under our breath of course, never out loud or to anybody who cares to listen lol

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Can't be as bad as 1962-1963, snow was level with upstairs bedroom windows, as kids we made a tunnel from our back door to the bottom of the garden, ended up like a huge long igloo. We had single glazed windows and spent ages chipping ice of the inside of the windows, the parrafin heater was going 24/7, and we had coats on our beds as well as blankets. No central heating & double glazed windows in them days, but we was hard not like nowadays. Sounds like a Monty Python sketch but it was true, living in Stevenage at the time.

life is not a rehearsal

Considering that they only have been keeping records since what, the 19th century, maybe some parts of the 18th at best, it seems to be a bit much to claim that the worst winter in the last 1000 years is coming.

Well if the Thames freezes enough for them to build little huts on it and hold fairs then it will be the coldest winter since 1668.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hello Spikesmike, no I was not wearing heels in them days, but I did think about it I had been thinking about girls shoes since about since about 1955, it was about 1967 when I had my own money so I could go out and buy my own girls shoes. High heels started about two years later. Big thing is cannot tell you why, I have spent a long time thinking about this problem, not my mum sisters etc, I was born with it, and it will never go away, how hard I try, I don't try anymore, I live with it,and enjoy the problem.

life is not a rehearsal

Can't be as bad as 1962-1963, snow was level with upstairs bedroom windows, as kids we made a tunnel from our back door to the bottom of the garden, ended up like a huge long igloo. We had single glazed windows and spent ages chipping ice of the inside of the windows, the parrafin heater was going 24/7, and we had coats on our beds as well as blankets. No central heating & double glazed windows in them days, but we was hard not like nowadays. Sounds like a Monty Python sketch but it was true, living in Stevenage at the time.

Sounds line my grandfather telling me of his boyhood in Northern Minnesota where he went through all that you said plus he had to walk barefoot through the ice and snow drifts to school, too. (It seems that children back in those days were a lot hardier bunch than they are these days (who ever heard of closing school because of the weather? -- was one of his favorites).

Sounds line my grandfather telling me of his boyhood in Northern Minnesota where he went through all that you said plus he had to walk barefoot through the ice and snow drifts to school, too. (It seems that children back in those days were a lot hardier bunch than they are these days (who ever heard of closing school because of the weather? -- was one of his favorites).

You forgot that it was up hill....both ways!..lol

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

You forgot that it was up hill....both ways!..lol

. . . and always into the wind!

I hear these "bad winter coming" predictions every year -- kind of goes with the territory in Northern Michigan. I have never heard an "easy winter" predicted -- it's always going to be "the worst since ____".

Have a happy time!

well jimc, just make sure you wear your cool thighboots (every pair) with a nice warm leather jacket, I think that youll be able to survive anything mother nature will throw @ you!:wave: