Product Reviews

Steve63130

One of the best ways for guys who like high heels to let shoe companies know that fact, and encourage them to supply more choices in bigger sizes for men, something that a lot of us want, is to provide feedback in the product reviews, if the company’s web site allows it.

In September I made two purchases from Naturalizer, and submitted reviews on both of them. The first was a pair of pumps called Vitality, and the review by “essgkay” (my initials, SGK) is mine. The review form asked for gender, which I filled out honestly as male, but the reviews don’t display that information and from what I wrote, the reader really can’t determine that the reviewer was anything but female. In the future I will push the envelope a bit and state that I’m male in the review. Who knows? They still might publish it, especially if it’s a favorable review and isn’t kinky in any way.

I encourage more of you who buy shoes from places that have web sites, to submit product reviews, and if the company does not state the gender of the reviewer, to work that fact in somehow. Please avoid fetish and transvestite comments, since that only reinforces stereotypes and probably won’t get published, but if it does, it can make life more difficult for those of us who wear heels for fashion and comfort. Thanks!

Steve

Attached is a picture of the pumps. Also I am attaching the review itself, since it will disappear when the shoes are discontinued. Interestingly, when I copied and pasted the review here, there was hidden information that showed up in the copy (in red below) and it indeed has the gender information! Too bad it’s hidden.

September 29, 2010 –

Posted by: essgkay from Ohio

Posted Image(read all my reviews)

from Ohio

Top 500 Contributor

Overall

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Quality

Posted Image

5 out of 5

Comfort

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Style

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Product Experience:

1 size too small

Posted Image

1 size too big

Too narrow

Posted Image

Too wide

Pros: comfortable, stable, stylish, cushioning, good value

Excellent quality and good value

"These are a favorite for sure. The quality is outstanding and they look terrific. They are comfortable and go well with long pants and jeans. The elastic band gives security like a mary jane strap, and although there is a little slippage in the back of the heel, it's still a great addition to the wardrobe. I've had them only a week so far, but I really like them and have worn them everywhere. No break-in was needed. Naturalizer is the best!"

Fitness needs/level: Exercise Regularly

Shoe expertise: I love shoe shopping and purchase new styles very regularly.

Was this review helpful to you?YesYesNoNo(Report Inappropriate Review)(Report Inappropriate Review)

Share this Review:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-19919-133522925358_thumb.jpg

The second pair from Naturalizer was a pair of Glassy boots, photo attached.

Steve

The review follows, and again the hidden information is in red:

September 30, 2010 – Posted by: essgkay from Ohio

Posted Image(read all my reviews)

from Ohio

Top 500 Contributor

Overall

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Quality

Posted Image

5 out of 5

Comfort

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Style

Posted Image

5 out of 5

Product Experience:

1 size too small

Posted Image

1 size too big

Too narrow

Posted Image

Too wide

Pros: durable, good traction, easy to put on, comfortable, stylish

Cons: arch could be more forward, my narrow foot slipped forward a little

Great boot!

"I received these boots last week. The fit is very good, although I would prefer the arch moved forward slightly for better support, but still it isn't bad. The regular width top fit my calf perfectly. I wore them a couple of days ago when we had some cool weather. I wore them with jeans and I wore pantyhose under them. We went to a coffee house with some friends, and then grocery shopping. I was on my feet for an hour. The thicker heel is quite stable, and suits my bigger body size better than stilettos. And no break-in was necessary. They were comfortable from the start. These will be a terrific addition to my wardrobe for fall. Thank you, Naturalizer for a stylish pair of great boots!"

Fitness needs/level: Exercise Regularly

Shoe expertise: I love shoe shopping and purchase new styles very regularly.

Was this review helpful to you?YesYesNoNo(Report Inappropriate Review)(Report Inappropriate Review)

Share this Review:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-19919-133522925366_thumb.jpg

Back in August I bought a pair of Payless Lavine Stud Mary Jane Pumps and wrote a review of it also. Payless, to their credit, DOES state gender of the reviewer and my review is under the name S63130.The review and photo are attached.

I show these examples just to encourage everyone to submit reviews and let the companies know that we're males and serious devotees of high heels.

Steve

Overall Rating:

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Value:

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Comfort:

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Quality:

Posted Image

4 out of 5

Style:

Posted Image

5 out of 5

S63130 Posted Image(read all my reviews)

Purchase from Payless: From Payless.com

Stylish shoes make a great addition to wardrobe Date: September 30, 2010

Pros: great fit, good value, very stylish, broad heel is stable, walkable, insole cushion

Cons: insole plaid color, insole fabric - prefer smooth surface

These are the highest heels I own and wear on a regular basis. I've had them nearly two months. They go great with long pants and jeans, which I prefer to wear, and they fit very well. The arch is in the right place, the straps aren't too loose or too tight, the round toe box looks stylish and fits very well. They are easy to walk in gracefully, too. I really like them.

Was this review helpful to you?YesYes|NoNo|(Report as inappropriate)(Report as inappropriate)

Share this review:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-19919-13352292537_thumb.jpg

Although they have disappeared along with the styles, I did a couple reviews last year, a pair of 3 inch clogs, and 5 inch Kork-Ease sandals. In both cases I made it clear in the review that I was male and wore them. I don't make a big deal of the fact, just a line like, "wearing these clogs makes me feel stylish and happy," or "perhaps the 5 inch wedge makes me a bit tall even for a guy..." I say that because I have seen reviews where the reviewer checks male, but either writes about buying them for a girlfriend or wife, or the review is written by a woman signed in on her husband's account.

Steve63130, what's the real height of the heels? I saw a pair of Naturalizer ankle boots that look interesting. Them, like you two, lists 2 3/4" as the height, but I'm wondering if in a large size (12), the height might actually be higher (what is your size). How would describe the noise of the heel (loud, quiet)? It looks like the heels for your two shoes, and the ones I'm looking at, are probably similiar / identical in construction. Interesting that the naturalizer.com site lists mine in size up to 12W, although the same model sold in Macy's and Nordstroms (as examples), they only have in 11M. Wondering if I might be able to fit my sz 13 feet into an 12W shoe.

I like the "Glassy" boots.. A guy could wear those anywhere w/o issue...I have a similar pair of Frye's... I've bought a few pair from Zappos from both the mens and womens sections, and always leave comments for the products I buy...

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

To comment to onyourtoes. I see you like Korkease sandals too. Right on! I wore them in the 70's and have a new pair now. I have written to Korkease several times in the last few yerars and they have responded to me saying they are coming out with a mens line soon, but the years keep on passing by and nothing comes out. They come out with only boots, shoes and sandals for women up to a size 11. I have a pair of their size 11 Ava's . I wear a mens 11 but they fit and I still love them as they are so light. I wear them out too. I did get a heel blister when they were new, but they have streched somewhat now. I would love to get them in a mens size 11 as they are a super comfortable sandal to wear. They need to start making them for men again, even in a limited production or make a womens size 12.

JWhite44: The actual measured height at the back of the heels on the 12M Vitality pumps is 3.25" and on the 12M Glassy boots is just under 3.5". The heels are quiet. The 12M is generous, I'd say, so in a 12W, it might fit your size 13 feet. The only way to know for sure is to try them on! Go for it! Steve

That sounds encouraging. These are the ones I'm looking at, Naturalizer Giddy: http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=EC0224309&pg=3007540 Definitely from the front, appears to be a unisex-looking shoe.

There's a Naturalizer store in my area, I'll give them a call and ask if they carry the 12W. I'm not sure if they can order them if they don't.

Did you buy yours in person at a store, or order them thru the website?

That sounds encouraging. These are the ones I'm looking at, Naturalizer Giddy: http://www.naturalizer.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=EC0224309&pg=3007540 Definitely from the front, appears to be a unisex-looking shoe.

There's a Naturalizer store in my area, I'll give them a call and ask if they carry the 12W. I'm not sure if they can order them if they don't.

Did you buy yours in person at a store, or order them thru the website?

Great boots. Now, that style would be just the thing for a man to wear in public. Even the most "shy" male heel wearer could wear them without fear of adverse reaction, anywhere they went. Good choice. :)

Here's another pair that are ideal for the "faint of heart" male wearer that would like to wear heels in public but just haven't been able to find the "perfect" pair:

Black Nine West Boots

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Great boots. Now, that style would be just the thing for a man to wear in public. Even the most "shy" male heel wearer could wear them without fear of adverse reaction, anywhere they went. Good choice. :)

Here's another pair that are ideal for the "faint of heart" male wearer that would like to wear heels in public but just haven't been able to find the "perfect" pair:

Black Nine West Boots

These are great boot to wear in public for someone "testing the waters" as far as wearing high heels in public.

Called the store this morning, they only stock up to size 10. Asked if they could order it, sales agent checked the computer, said there were still a few available. She said I'd need to come in to pay for it to order it, then in would be shipped to my house. Apparently unlike Payless, no ship to store option. I then asked, "Wouldn't I be better just to order it online?" She did say if ordered in the store, shipping would be free. However, I didn't want to trek all the way to the store just to order them (if I could have gotten them, then I would gone). Plus, I figured whatever I'd save in shipping, I'd probably end up paying in sales tax (and gas), so no real savings. I ended up ordering them online, and I think I made out pretty good. Regular price is $119, but naturalizer.com was already showing a 16% discount, that brought them down to $100. While I was looking at their website last night, I decided to register for their email club. Wouldn't you know, this morning, I got an email with a 30% discount code good for purchases this week (both at store an online). I put the code in, shazam, another $30 off the price. Add in the $7 for shipping, and total was about $77. Not happy I had to go the online route, but I have an alternate address I'm sending them to that hopefully won't attrack any attention. Naturalizer seems like a more conservative company (compared to say Baker's), so hopefully it will just be a plain brown box. I'm not sure if they send out tracking information, or if I'll just have to wait until they show up. They're about the most discreet ankle boots I've seen around, so my fingers are crossed they don't disappoint. I don't know if I'll post an online review like Steve63130 did, but I'll at least update this thread once I get them. In terms of other shoes you mentioned (and was the link correct: it points to another pair on naturalizer.com, but you said they were Nine West), I had looked at them. I wasn't thrilled with the arch sole/heel. I think it would grab some looks just because it was different/usual, forget the fact that a guy is wearing what could be women's shoes. I also didn't like what I think is much lower heel height (it lists 2" vs 2 3/4" for the other boots: by the time that's increased for a size 12, probably a good 1 inch difference). Although I'm looking to be discreet, I also want someone that "feels like a high heel". After all, that's the reason I'm getting them. A little 2", maybe 2 1/4" heel doesn't provide not enough motivation to want to get involved with them.